DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

March 28, estimated population infected by country, according to math models:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Europe-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf

Country % of total population infected (mean [95% credible interval])

Austria 1.1% [0.36%-3.1%]

Belgium 3.7% [1.3%-9.7%]

Denmark 1.1% [0.40%-3.1%]

France 3.0% [1.1%-7.4%]

Germany 0.72% [0.28%-1.8%]

Italy 9.8% [3.2%-26%]

Norway 0.41% [0.09%-1.2%]

Spain 15% [3.7%-41%]

Sweden 3.1% [0.85%-8.4%]

Switzerland 3.2% [1.3%-7.6%]

United Kingdom 2.7% [1.2%-5.4%]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Distinction without a difference. Trump accused health care workers of stealing masks.\

Getting tired of your "I am not a Trump supporter but I  constanly defend him " routine.

Actually it was New York Gov. Cuomo that did that first. He accused people of stealing masks and other medical equipment from hospitals:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/people-are-stealing-face-masks-from-local-hospitals-gov-cuomo-says.html

And no, i'm not a Trump supporter, but i'm a supporter of facts and truth, Earlier Trump said that Seoul has 38 million people. Yep, he made a mistake there, he's not probably that good at world demographics.

You know, when i was growing up in totalitarian communist Romania, we were taught at school about how evil America is, and how bad americans are, and so many other nasty words. And i believed that, because there was nothing else to invalidate that. That's the power of suggestion without counterbalance. It took me a long time to realize that americans are not that bad actually.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/31/amc-ceo-hopes-theaters-will-open-by-mid-june-moviegoers-will-return.html

KEY POINTS
  • AMC’s CEO hopes that locations will be able to open by mid-June.
  • Adam Aron, CEO of AMC Entertainment, admits that it is unclear exactly when the movie theater industry will be back on its feet in the wake of the coronavirus, but he’s certain moviegoers will be eager to return to cinemas. 
  • Because of theater closures across the country and internationally, studios have been vacating their release dates through June and July.
Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cax16 said:

@Jason how do you think we’re doing so far in Canada (and Ontario more specifically?)?

I’ve been following a lot more doctors on twitter as I try and keep up and most say things seem ok-good for now but we need to do more testing(obviously), which we should see soon as the government just made that agreement with that company to do the quicker turn around tests. 

That depends who you ask. On the ground in Canada, things seem less bad than say United States, but I know some people who are saying Trudeau handled this worse than Trump, so I too would really like @Jason‘s take

3 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/31/amc-ceo-hopes-theaters-will-open-by-mid-june-moviegoers-will-return.html

KEY POINTS
  • Adam Aron, CEO of AMC Entertainment, admits that it is unclear exactly when the movie theater industry will be back on its feet in the wake of the coronavirus, but he’s certain moviegoers will be eager to return to cinemas. 
  • Because of theater closures across the country and internationally, studios have been vacating their release dates through June and July.

Let's hope he's right, but what about OS? Many countries will still be battling the infection. That's why i don't see how they'll release those still in place june/july movies. It means losing a big chunk of the OS market

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

That depends who you ask. On the ground in Canada, things seem less bad than say United States, but I know some people who are saying Trudeau handled this worse than Trump, so I too would really like @Jason‘s take

I can’t even comprehend how anyone could think that but I’m no expert on the matter. I feel like all levels of government have done a decent job at least imo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marcus Cato said:

That's what happens when you read just the headlines without reading the whole article. Here is the article by Vox:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/3/30/21199538/coronavirus-mask-trump-new-york-hospital-stealing

If you look inside the article they have the exact quote from Trump. Here it is:

" Something is going on, and you ought to look into it as reporters. Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door? How do you go from 10,000 to 300,000? And we have that in a lot of different places. So, somebody should probably look into that, because I just don’t see, from a practical standpoint, how that’s possible to go from that to that. And we have that happening in numerous places — not to that extent; that was the highest number I’ve heard."

He never mentioned nurses, that was completely made up by the media.

Jeez. I did not just read the headline.

Trump never mentioned them directly but sure as hell implied it.

Does he even know how hospital works?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I can’t even comprehend how anyone could think that but I’m no expert on the matter. I feel like all levels of government have done a decent job at least imo. 

People from Alberta saying Ottawa using this as an excuse to punish Alberta. People from BC saying Ottawa CAUSED the virus (yup you heard me right) to shut down the pipeline protestors.

I’m not saying these people are educated, just be careful wherever you read up on how canada’s doing. People here are really disappointing me with their stupidity

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

People from Alberta saying Ottawa using this as an excuse to punish Alberta. People from BC saying Ottawa CAUSED the virus (yup you heard me right) to shut down the pipeline protestors.

I’m not saying these people are educated, just be careful wherever you read up on how canada’s doing. People here are really disappointing me with their stupidity

I’ve seen those type of comments as well but I try to just follow local doctors etc.

This guy has been on the local news a bunch of times so I like him,

https://mobile.twitter.com/BogochIsaac

and this guy is good and more honest about things, he says BC has done a really good job and Ontario is lagging in testing and not being transparent enough with data.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DFisman

I’m not gonna worry about those comments where people are trying to make this about politics at this time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Let's hope he's right, but what about OS? Many countries will still be battling the infection. That's why i don't see how they'll release those still in place june/july movies. It means losing a big chunk of the OS market

I think I said this before, but I think once theaters reopen, it'll probably be a combination of old movies (Endgame, Joker, Parasite) and movies that weren't really going to get much OS money in the first place (Antlers, My Spy, The Green Knight). It's okay baby steps before we get to Wonder Woman (presumably) as the first bigly movie

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

March 28, estimated population infected by country, according to math models:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Europe-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf

Country % of total population infected (mean [95% credible interval])

Austria 1.1% [0.36%-3.1%]

Belgium 3.7% [1.3%-9.7%]

Denmark 1.1% [0.40%-3.1%]

France 3.0% [1.1%-7.4%]

Germany 0.72% [0.28%-1.8%]

Italy 9.8% [3.2%-26%]

Norway 0.41% [0.09%-1.2%]

Spain 15% [3.7%-41%]

Sweden 3.1% [0.85%-8.4%]

Switzerland 3.2% [1.3%-7.6%]

United Kingdom 2.7% [1.2%-5.4%]

Don't know why they didn't include the Netherlands where it seems to run close to Belgium (=pretty bad). And the 1,1% estimate for Austria seems off, I did a little calculating myself (hey, any statistic nerds here?) and would put us rather in the 2-3% range. Same goes for Switzerland which I would see substantially higher than the estimated 3,2%. Good thing here in Austria is that in the beginning most cases were below the risk age (distributed in skiing centres) but by now a lot of geriatric wards, nursing homes etc have been hit and the death count will sadly become closer to what othrer countries were experiencing.

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

As to cinemas, our local multiplex is trying to sell vouchers at a discount for when they open again (date as of yet unsure, not before June is the most optimistic guess) - everything for a little cash flow, the situation for many venues wasn't too rosy to begin with, after some bad bad years at the german-speaking BO and an enduring oversaturation of seats.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

And the 1,1% estimate for Austria seems off, I did a little calculating myself (hey, any statistic nerds here?) and would put us rather in the 2-3% range

Austria has only 14 known death by million has of now (25% of belgium/netherlands), similar to Denmark 16.

21 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

And no, i'm not a Trump supporter, but i'm a supporter of facts and truth, Earlier Trump said that Seoul has 38 million people. Yep, he made a mistake there, he's not probably that good at world demographics.

You know, when i was growing up in totalitarian communist Romania, we we're taught at school about how evil America is, and how bad americans are, and so many other nasty words. And i believed that, because there was nothing else to invalidate that. That's the power of suggestion without counterbalance. It took me a long time to realize that americans are not that bad actually.

facts... are complete and never cherry picked

You miss seemingly a lot of the details that actually are the important details.

A mistake is one thing, but he said directly before that, he knows Seoul better than everyone (or similar wording) and then makes THAT kind mistake, that is, why its funny in a way. And that was, what the posts where about = another detail again, that seemingly got missed? He has a really bad general education level and shows that way too often.

Also he implies a lot, never is himself responsible, only scapegoats or underlings ‚can be responsible‘ (or made to be...)

the rest seems to be too OT, so I#ll put it into spoiler tags:

Spoiler

You believed that? How? Why?

Because the family of my first husband is from Romania, them before me did it a lot also, but even I personally drove and smuggled medication and such to e.g. Sibiu so the doctors/emergency station there get at least some (they did have the rooms and the clothes, all what is important for pictures, but nothing chemical), they trusted me and told quite some interesting things (plus I was also ‚officially‘ a tourist, as such I had contancts too, obviously)

To be clear, at that time Nicolae Ceaușescu was still the ‚boss‘.

I was weddings,... including after he got killed,... incl in my country, where quite some Romanians lived then and now. As I see some things in another way then quite a few of especially the males at parties (women rights,...) I had some lively discussions, incl politics. I never encountered anyone who actually believed the propaganda they taught then at school. I can not imagine how that could have happened. At least not someone who had contact to people from the time before, like grandparents and similar. Hence why I try to understand

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

The first plan of US health officials left open the possibility that social distancing measures could last for as long as 18 months. The last priority when things go back to normal would probably include movie theaters.

That is probably a worst-case scenario, but mid-June seems very optimistic.

• Like 1

Let's compare the USA to Vietnam (a third world country with very limited resources, a poor-funded healthcare system, and is right next to China with an economy heavily relied on China) to see how great America is doing.

PIdvbRH.png

Vietnam tries to save its people first then the economy later.

Whereas in the US, some people are perfectly fine with sacrificing their grandparents for money. All the time spending on saving the economy instead of trying to help frontline hospitals and worse - accused them of stealing medical supplies why they're risking their lives to save others.

• Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Austria has only 14 known death by million has of now (25% of belgium/netherlands), similar to Denmark 16.

edit, argh, you said per million...

Edited by terrestrial

10 minutes ago, bladels said:

Vietnam tries to save its people first then the economy later.

Whereas in the US, some people are perfectly fine with sacrificing their grandparents for money. All the time spending on saving the economy instead of trying to help frontline hospitals and worse - accused them of stealing medical supplies why they're risking their lives to save others.

It is sad that Western governments in general don't value human life like we do.

To be fair, some tried to save their people but have been incredibly bad at it.

12 minutes ago, bladels said:

Let's compare the USA to Vietnam

It is a nice example of reaction (closing all foreign flight fast + quarantine for everyone making an entry sounding like an extremely good plan), and they achieved this without testing.

Posted (edited)

Lets not begin even looking at Vietnam.... thinking they have a positive handle the virus is as funny as those assuming massive increases in legit Chinese numbers.... 🤦‍♂️

Leaving the above for reference - misread the report and for some reason crossed Vietnam with North Korea in my mind. I do grasp that Vietnam is vastly different, error was not intended. Apologies for not catching sooner - thanks to those who pointed it out :)

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 4