DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

39 minutes ago, AndyK said:

They have special requirements due to their ethnic makeup of native Polynesians. These groups are especially at risk as they have little to no immunity to these viruses compared to the ethnic European citizens.

Shit I didn’t realise we were still living in the 1800s here. 

The reason that Maori and other Pacific Island groups are more susceptible to flu and flu-like illnesses is due to income inequality as well as higher rates of obesity, smoking, diabetes etc. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, AndyK said:

New Zealand plan as published on the government website is pretty much the same as everybody else influenza pandemic plan, which are all based on the WHO general pandemic guidance plan.

They have special requirements due to their ethnic makeup of native Polynesians. These groups are especially at risk as they have little to no immunity to these viruses compared to the ethnic European citizens.

Honestly man, I straight up just don't trust your takes on scientific stuff after you linked that David Esker sauropod theory back in 2018.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Gawd I am so ready for this crap to be over. Even this beach view is getting old with this f*cking hiding at home shit. 

Must be nice, beach view!  Pace yourself, we got a ways to go, buddy...

47 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Gawd I am so ready for this crap to be over. Even this beach view is getting old with this f*cking hiding at home shit. 

If this an attempt at humor or trolling, it is a total failure.

If for real, you need to take a really good look at your priority and values.

25 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Must be nice, beach view!  Pace yourself, we got a ways to go, buddy...

Yea yea yea...I am just telling you guys eventually all this holing up is going to reach a breaking point for the folks...

Homer Goes Crazy GIF | Gfycat

46 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

This is really tone deaf. 

The World Bank estimated yesterday that between 24 -35 million people will remain in poverty just in Asia thanks to this Covid-19 recession (just imagine when we add Africa and Latin America).  This is ~30m people.who will keep struggling to get food and shelter on a daily basis, not paying attention to the economic crisis would be truly irresponsible. 

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Is this just a before planned pay hike, like last year at the same date :

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/05/01/mps-score-3300-pay-hike/

1 minute ago, expensiveho said:

The World Bank estimated yesterday that between 24 -35 million people will remain in poverty just in Asia thanks to this Covid-19 recession (just imagine when we add Africa and Latin America).  This is ~30m people.who will keep struggling to get food and shelter on a daily basis, not paying attention to the economic crisis would be truly irresponsible. 

The reason people are living in poverty is due to the current way the economy is structured though with the wealth gap between the rich and poor being absolutely ridiculous. We don’t need billionaires in society and if we were able to redistribute that money food and shelter would be able to be more easily had for those that need it. Hopefully with everything going to shit people will actually care for one another and give to those in need, we are kind of already seeing some of that through positive news stories of people helping out elderly neighbour s with food runs and the like. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Yea yea yea...I am just telling you guys eventually all this holing up is going to reach a breaking point for the folks...

Homer Goes Crazy GIF | Gfycat

Hey, right now being edgy and outrageous about the tragedy that is going to strike America goes over like a lead balloon.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

I agree, Oh no the stock market would make the meme better, change economy for the longer phrase of what it mean: "the fabrication and distribution of good and service"....

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

18 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I agree, Oh no the stock market would make the meme better, change economy for the longer phrase of what it mean: "the fabrication and distribution of good and service"....

It’s specifically mocking the United States and Republican leaders who chose to emphasize the economy over lives (ie “your grandparents won’t mind dying to save our economy”.)

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Still, it can't hurt as long as you keep doing all those other things. And you have to wonder if the relatively low numbers of deaths in a country like Japan (who don't really seem to be doing a great job against the pandemic otherwise) are not explained in a small part at least by the common use of masks.

I was trying to find data about flu season in Japan compared to Europe or America, but didn't find too much, other than they still got millions of cases a year. 

5 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I was trying to find data about flu season in Japan compared to Europe or America, but didn't find too much, other than they still got millions of cases a year. 

https://www.niid.go.jp/niid/en/iasr/865-iasr/9288-477te.html

the estimated number of influenza patients who visited medical facilities between week 36 of 2018 and week 17 of 2019 was approximately 12,000,000.

Hospitalized: 20K

3,400 excess death in the 2018-2019 season, that quite low I think.

• Like 1