DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

709 deaths today in the US so far...

726 now. Closing in on taking the daily lead in a truly terrible statistic.

I've got a great aunt that's about to tick the counter up another digit. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow. She's got a history of cardiac issues. Diagnosed with COVID on Friday. Admitted to ICU on Saturday. She was put on a ventilator about 24 hours ago, and her children were given an honest, very grim assessment of her odds. She'll need a miracle to pull through.

This makes four of my relatives who've gotten it. My cousin (works for the CDC in Washington state) and his wife have recovered. Another cousin is an orthopedic nurse who was assigned to COVID duty. He was sick for a week and is almost back to normal now. This virus is crazy contagious.

• Sad 27

1 minute ago, doublejack said:

I've got a great aunt that's about to tick the counter up another digit. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow. She's got a history of cardiac issues. Diagnosed with COVID on Friday. Admitted to ICU on Saturday. She was put on a ventilator about 24 hours ago, and her children were given an honest, very grim assessment of her odds. She'll need a miracle to pull through.

This makes four of my relatives who've gotten it. My cousin (works for the CDC in Washington state) and his wife have recovered. Another cousin is an orthopedic nurse who was assigned to COVID duty. He was sick for a week and is almost back to normal now. This virus is crazy contagious.

I'm so sorry about your great aunt...I hope that she's able to pull through. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Noctis said:

I'm so sorry about your great aunt...I hope that she's able to pull through. 

Thank you! She's getting the best care possible. She's an employee of the hospital where's she's being treated. She works in the insurance billing area. I feel confident they'll do whatever they can for her.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

https://www.niid.go.jp/niid/en/iasr/865-iasr/9288-477te.html

the estimated number of influenza patients who visited medical facilities between week 36 of 2018 and week 17 of 2019 was approximately 12,000,000.

Hospitalized: 20K

3,400 excess death in the 2018-2019 season, that quite low I think.

That's what I found as well, but then again, you always have to question how each individual country counts its cases. 

For example, Germany had about 4,2m visits in medical facilities. 

About 28k got hospitalized (of those 177k cases confirmed in a laboratory) and about 320 died. 

https://influenza.rki.de/Wochenberichte/2019_2020/2020-12.pdf

So, way less visits at a medical facility, way more hospitalizations and way less "official" victims.

It's pretty obvious, that those stats are hard to compare with. 

One thing is for sure though, current measures have slowed down new cases of flu for both japan and germany considerably. 

Edited by Poseidon

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

It looks like the pay hike is automatic every year which was passed in 2005. What has the current government got to do with any of it?

Even if they wanted to, they cant do anything unless parliament itself decides to stop it. I know you dont like the liberals but just reading the article which you yourself posted would have made things clear

• Like 6

On 2/29/2020 at 2:00 PM, Madhuvan said:

It may sound bit insensitive but India handled Coronavirus situation much better than other country. 

It was very easy for the virus to spread in India but the government took proper measures from beginning. 

On 3/29/2020 at 8:58 AM, Madhuvan said:

India failed. 

No food for poor people. Children are eating grass with salt. 

Migrant workers are dying. 

No proper management. 

Lockdown will kill more people than coronavirus ever will. 

What a difference exactly one month makes.

• Sad 1

Got word earlier today from my academic dean that if things keep progressing as they are, we will be asked to the front line because so many doctors and nurses are getting sick so hospitals are beginning to get short staffed. 

This is a legit disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 17

39 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

A thousand deaths a day is probably happening starting tomorrow. Just dreadful.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, doublejack said:

I'm really sorry to hear this doublejack. The only thing I can imagine that would be worse than suffering from covid is watching a loved one suffer from it. I truly hope you and the rest of your family are doing as well as you can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

What a difference exactly one month makes.

imo it's pretty insensitive to do this, especially on a public forum. If you really wanted to address this, it would have been way better to message this user directly, rather than somehow try to publicly shame them when they're coming to grips with their country's mishandling of a deadly pandemic. It's kind of shameful, and I really would recommend you take down this post (I will delete mine as well if you decide to) but I'm not a mod so I can only make a suggestion

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

imo it's pretty insensitive to do this, especially on a public forum. If you really wanted to address this, it would have been way better to message this user directly, rather than somehow try to publicly shame them when they're coming to grips with their country's mishandling of a deadly pandemic. It's kind of shameful, and I really would recommend you take down this post (I will delete mine as well if you decide to) but I'm not a mod so I can only make a suggestion

I didn't really interpret that as shaming or an attack at all, just an interesting observation about how much changed this month all over the world.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I didn't really interpret that as shaming or an attack at all, just an interesting observation about how much changed this month all over the world.

Fair enough, and that may be what the post was intended as, but it also sorta reads as a victory post over another user who is clearly grieving at the moment over the failures their country is now facing. I'll admit I shouldn't assume that the post was made with any malintent, but it can read that way, and I just think we really need to be a lot more sensitive when discussing all this. 

• Like 3

Anyway, the day is finished on worldometers and we’ve got an increase up to 74k today, so hitting 1M on the 2nd. Seems like Mon and Sun may be the days that get depressed by weekday/weekend dynamics.     

US testing was doing good early last week but has really stalled. I hope the California backlog can be processed soon.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Fair enough, and that may be what the post was intended as, but it also sorta reads as a victory post over another user who is clearly grieving at the moment over the failures their country is now facing. I'll admit I shouldn't assume that the post was made with any malintent, but it can read that way, and I just think we really need to be a lot more sensitive when discussing all this. 

I can assure you there is no ill will. There was nothing inflammatory or celebratory in pointing out the stark contrast that a month can create. I was going through the early pages of the thread, trying to get a feel for what the vibe was exactly a month ago (as March ends today), came across the first post, and remembered Madhuvan's more recent thoughts. It's just a reminder of how quickly things can change, and how vigilant everyone needs to be for what the next month holds.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, narniadis said:

Lets not begin even looking at Vietnam.... thinking they have a positive handle the virus is as funny as those assuming massive increases in legit Chinese numbers.... 🤦‍♂️

This mentality is extremely dangerous "other countries doing better than us because they're lying"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2