DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

20 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

The Florida "lockdown" has reauthorized religious gatherings in the cities that had banned them.

I am sick and tired of churches being above the law.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I recommend you make a Twitter list compiling a dozen or two different journalists from across the political spectrum (but avoiding the extreme ends). That way you get a variety of reporting (and since it's Twitter, the message gets simplified into a couple sentences). From there, you can find the true middle of the story.

Yeah I've been starting to do that, as several people have suggested it. It actually does make Twitter a bit less of a headache because you always need other opinions and views for balance. In terms of straight up truth in reporting, though, I still don't know who to trust. It feels like political agenda has seeped into everything.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am sick and tired of churches being above the law.

Remember when Joel Osteen wouldn't let anyone in his church in Houston during the hurricane? Despicable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Considering that is my daily job, it is our understanding per our legal contacts that we still cannot have full services / gatherings. We are still limited to 10 or less people (and have been working that way for 3 full weeks now so its not new.) 

Not sure what Florida's is (not my state obviously) but Gov Abbotts rule didnt change anything from the way it was before. He is not wanting to have idiots like the one in LA and FL bussing in 1k+ people. So its not a blank check

Right...they can't prohibit religious services (see 1st Amend), but they can limit in person attendance...

The 10 person limit has been working spectacularly in my state for it...almost all Churches moved online, and those who didn't literally have a sign up sheet.  And those folks are probably still uber-dumb, but 10 per Church session probably means we won't overwhelm the hospital at any one point (vs the normal 1000 at a weekend service might)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Why are video games being delayed? I've never in my life played more video games than the past couple of weeks (and I'm not much of a player at all)...

Can't games be purchased and downloaded online? 

Same here. I went through Titanfall 2, Last of Us Remastered, Nathan Drake Collection (Uncharted,1,2, and 3) and Bioshock 2 in the last month. Currently doing Battlefield 1 and then wondering whether to do Metal Gear Solid 5 or Bloodborne. I know these are relatively older games but they were on my list to play for a long time and I am going through them quickly now. 

Next up on my list are Far Cry Primal, Far Cry New Dawn, Jedi Fallen Order. I wanna do games like Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption 2 but their length scares me. 

• Like 1

I've been playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps. The first is one of my all-time favs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Right...they can't prohibit religious services (see 1st Amend), but they can limit in person attendance...

The 10 person limit has been working spectacularly in my state for it...almost all Churches moved online, and those who didn't literally have a sign up sheet.  And those folks are probably still uber-dumb, but 10 per Church session probably means we won't overwhelm the hospital at any one point (vs the normal 1000 at a weekend service might)...

Yup and like 75% ot my congregation is 65+ so its suicide to have them in person. I dont get the idiotic behavior of others, and thats before I complain about the bad press the other idiots cause the rest of us.

Will say that corona has forced me to become the on staff technician 🤦‍♂️ nobody else knows how to do things so lots of crash course learning and figuring out to pull a 100% online bit off. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Remember when Joel Osteen wouldn't let anyone in his church in Houston during the hurricane? Despicable.

You heard about the preacher in Pennslyvania who said that the virus is hitting Blue states as a judgement on them because they did not support Trump, who he actually called "the anointed one"?

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I've been playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps. The first is one of my all-time favs

Same here. One of the most gorgeous video games I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

The Last of US Part 2 being delayed is obviously sad for the fans, particularly those who were seeing it as a source of enjoyment after a difficult year. I feel sad for them even if I understand this decision. 

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition will also release on May 29 but unlike TLOU2 it won't be delayed (they confirmed the release date today) so I'm very happy as it's a wonderful remake of my favorite game of all time 😍 After all, the lockdowns will be over by late April here in France so there won't be any hurdle. 

14 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

After all, the lockdowns will be over by late April here in France so there won't be any hurdle. 

That seems unlikely, unless Macron wants to kill even more retirees.

Now that masks are mandated in California, everyone in LA looks like woeful hipster banditos. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Now that masks are mandated in California, everyone in LA looks like woeful hipster banditos. 

gdjP_Ckp4LzyWq9Fai2MaJcmx_LNNQzDRMyQBkD5

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

12 minutes ago, a2k said:

gdjP_Ckp4LzyWq9Fai2MaJcmx_LNNQzDRMyQBkD5

even-vader-practices-social-distancing-m

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)

I already tried to describe my wood dust mask I own for the little workshop I own. 

Like it reminds about Bane‘s mask

I found a picture (better said, I got the impulse to look for one) = obviously not me (out of a magazine)

trend%20stealth.png

That is the mask I could use (it is ~ category FF P3...) to e.g. buy groceries, but still am not sure if I will make others feel uncomfortable

Without those glasses (using my glasses)

To use or not to use, that is the question here.... 😷

Edited by terrestrial
make is not male = typo

An 80% reduction is huge. That's more effective than the flu shot is at preventing the flu, for example (about 40%-60%, CDC). It's vastly more effective than handwashing, which prevents about 20% of respiratory illnesses (CDC). And it would be enough that if it were adopted population-wide (admittedly a big if), R0 would be brought below 1 without any other measures. (I'm not actually recommending that as a course of action, just pointing out how big of a reduction 80% is.)

There isn't a huge amount of research on the effectiveness of mask wearing by non-medical professionals, but a review of multiple studies (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2190272/) concluded about 68% risk reduction on average, which is still huge when you compare it to other interventions. Adopted population-wide, it'd be enough to bring R0 near 1 all by itself.

We were originally advised not to wear masks if we were healthy in large part so that there would enough masks available for the people who need them most, such as healthcare workers. But the various East Asian countries have been able to recommend universal mask wearing in part because they had already adopted it as a habit there, meaning that production levels were higher to begin with. (The other reason is that at least Taiwan had kept a large stockpile of masks on hand in case of an emergency like this.)

The other advantage of habitual mask wearing in the East Asian countries is it means there isn't a stigma for sick people to be wearing a mask, since most of the people wearing a mask are actually healthy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Kushner has succeeded at exactly three things in his life. He was born to the right parents, married well and learned how to influence his father-in-law. Most of his other endeavors — his biggest real estate deal, his foray into newspaper ownership, his attempt to broker a peace deal between the Israelis and the Palestinians — have been failures.

Kushner, Bernstein told me, “really sees himself as a disrupter.” Again and again, she said, people who’d dealt with Kushner told her that whatever he did, he “believed he could do it better than anybody else, and he had supreme confidence in his own abilities and his own judgment even when he didn’t know what he was talking about.”

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

My aunt is refusing to stay home this weekend (or any).

What the fuck do I do? We live together.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Jason said:

An 80% reduction is huge.

What is also big is that most study (all ?) that I have seen, show that the difference between high level mask and surgical mask tend to be small:

. The efficacy against proven viral infection and between P2 masks (57%) and surgical masks (33%) was non-significant.

Versus mask vs No mask difference, making the argument that people would not have X level of mask so it is useless not holding up at all.

If wearing mask can be that good for not getting the virus, imagine for stopping the spread (has the ability to stop an infected person to spread is probably better than the helping of not getting it), the computer model saying that if 80% wear one it stop the infection could be true.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

My aunt is refusing to stay home this weekend (or any).

What the fuck do I do? We live together.

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1