DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

It was as widely reported as the first one was ( and on here) because it calculated the likely death rates in various countries.

Its obviously fatally flawed.

Out of curiosity, by whom? That's some shoddy journalism. I haven't seen it in the media here, but given that you're in the UK, I imagine you and I read different papers.

I was referring to academic citations by the way (hence "cited", although I suppose in conversational English that distinction might not be clear). Google Scholar has it at a grand total of zero so far. By comparison, the first Imperial College report on transmissibility has 55 academic citations, and their report with the estimated death range for the US and the UK has 54 academic citations.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I do find it slightly humerus that the virus is finally the topic that gets Duldabs incessant repetitive behavior noticed 🤣 I unblocked him for this since it wasnt conversations related to Movies and New Mutants in particular but the behavior remains the same. 

By all means make sure we know and I am glad we have folks here that arent ostriches but at times the incessant head battering is more a problem than a help. 

Edited to add: Eric finally reaching peak was funny since I see him fairly balanced in the threads I am usually in. So maybe I just find more humor in this than the rest of yall 🤣🤷‍♂️

Anatomical-Position-of-the-Humerus.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Out of curiosity, by whom? That's some shoddy journalism. I haven't seen it in the media here, but given that you're in the UK, I imagine you and I read different papers.

I was referring to academic citations by the way (hence "cited", although I suppose in conversational English that distinction might not be clear). Google Scholar has it at a grand total of zero so far. By comparison, the first Imperial College report on transmissibility has 55 academic citations, and their report with the estimated death range for the US and the UK has 54 academic citations.

By most publications e.g

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/imperial-study-new-york-deaths-could-peak-at-1-000-a-day

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/virus-deaths-could-be-less-than-seasonal-flu-07vjc855r

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-uk-death-toll-lockdown-china-imperial-college-a4400431.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8166093/Expert-said-just-5-700-die-coronavirus-UK-says-wrong.html

• Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Hide contents

Anatomical-Position-of-the-Humerus.jpg

🤣🤣🤣 gotta love not paying attention to auto corrections.... thanks for helping me laugh today 

The stories of the US trying to force 3M not to sell to Canada and Latin America is definitely an awful but expectant trump move.

Still somehow not as bad tho as Trump's administration trying to force 3M to stop selling medical made in factories in Singapore to Singapore, and reroute them back to the US. There's something kind of sickening about Trump literally trying to force workers in other countries to mass produced masks and then force those factories to ship them to the US and ignore their own countries entirely

• ...wtf 3

@ThanosTheHedgehog

Good increase but it needs to ramp up huge from this. i am especially bummed by HORRIBLE testing rates in California. Current Pos/Neg total is just 35K. NY is 7.5x that number despite CA having the bigger population. Also company like Abbot which just got 5 min test approved is based out of California

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

If there is one thing that I wish more people truly understood about about this current Neo Gilded Age it is that there is a deep and utterly systemic sickness in the so-called Main Stream Media.  And I call it systemic because there is truly no other way to describe it.  A complete breakdown... no inability to rise to the current challenges of the day.  An inability to call a spade a spade and a refusal among many to confront the powerful.

It's also systemic because this has been a deep rot that has slowly thread throughout the media sphere starting since probably the mid-to-late 80s.  Back then it wasn't nearly as pervasive as it is now, but the seeds were being sown.

Yes there are individual reporters and outlets which are rising to the challenge better than others.  Even within the Gray Lady, there are scores of terrific reporters.  But the predominate culture of The Media has gotten worse in the Trump era, not better. 

I don't have any real solutions to offer.  At least not practical ones.  No, I suspect this is only going to change slowly in fits and starts as more and more of the folks raised in the 90s way of reporting are cycled out of media and more and more of the folks who are currently up and comers are cycled in.  And even then as long as "horse race coverage" and "who won the day" permeates how media covers politics, I don't think this is going to get better any time soon. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, AndyK said:

System by itself fails a dual system with a public safety net works fine

17 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

The stories of the US trying to force 3M not to sell to Canada and Latin America is definitely an awful but expectant trump move.

Still somehow not as bad tho as Trump's administration trying to force 3M to stop selling medical made in factories in Singapore to Singapore, and reroute them back to the US. There's something kind of sickening about Trump literally trying to force workers in other countries to mass produced masks and then force those factories to ship them to the US and ignore their own countries entirely

I hope long term this forces critical supply chain to be in your own country. But 3M has been egregious in selling it to highest bidder and got bad publicity recently(they were trending yesterday after FAUX news went after them). So not surprised by Trump's action. That said I wont be surprised by this having negative repercussions for US as most of 3M production is outside US.

That said why does 3M have to export from US to other countries and then get from China to US !!!!! Makes little sense.

I honestly thought FoxNews was somewhat better than CNN and MSNBC. God was I wrong.

Please don't let these people get away with this

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@ThanosTheHedgehog

Good increase but it needs to ramp up huge from this. i am especially bummed by HORRIBLE testing rates in California. Current Pos/Neg total is just 35K. NY is 7.5x that number despite CA having the bigger population. Also company like Abbot which just got 5 min test approved is based out of California

Abbott tests basically don't exist. Very few

2 hours ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

I GET IT JESUS CHRIST. I KNOW THERE'S GOING TO BE A SECOND WAVE YOU DON'T HAVE TO TELL PEOPLE THIS EVERY OTHER DAY.

I'm just under the assumption, for the time being, though I could be completely and utterly 100% wrong here that theaters could still be open, since the second wave is typically weaker, and perhaps things will not be as bad or call for theater shutdowns. Again, I could be completely wrong, and I will admit it could very well be wishful thinking. But I'm just hoping for the best right now.

Now, could you please stop annoying people for once and stop telling people every other second a second wave is coming? We all know it's likely. We all know it's happening. We're all paying attention to what's going on. We don't need you to parrot the same thing over and over again, and act condescending on how we're not paying attention to medical experts or whatever and act as if we're all brain dead idiots who don't know what's happening.

Glad to know I'm not automatically 'ignoring medical advice' lmao

2 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I didn’t feel that a Winona or apoc were exactly right, but I don’t think I agree with the tone or basic thesis of this post. The way most people seem to be commenting (in, e.g. the BW thread) I get the impression that the awareness of a 2nd wave is pretty low, and while dubalb can certainly get annoying and repetitive with it I feel like it’s a likelihood which probably deserves more emphasis atm, rather than less.   

Also I’m skeptical of theaters remaining open and blockbusters releasing through a Big 2nd wave, but that’s a separate matter.

I wouldn't say that people discussing non-virus related topics necessarily equates to lack of awareness. The freaking virus is all that people have been hearing about for months now. And given we're all stuck in our homes, maybe someone wants to talk about something non-covid related.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Forget any big movies, games and other content until Summer 2021. We will be dealing with multiple waves of this virus. PS5 and Xbox One 2 will get delayed. Same with all these movies. I legit loled when I saw Disney scheduling Mulan for July 24. That thing ain't coming out earlier than 2021.

CJohn being cjohn again, presenting the most pessimistic scenario as utter fact

11 minutes ago, Andreas said:

I honestly thought FoxNews was somewhat better than CNN and MSNBC. God was I wrong.

Please don't let these people get away with this

why did you ever think so? (hypothetically asked)

there is a reason they get called FAUX news since decades

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I wouldn't say that people discussing non-virus related topics necessarily equates to lack of awareness.

Me neither. It’s talking about November and December like everything will be back to normal by them that equates to lack of awareness. 

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The freaking virus is all that people have been hearing about for months now. And given we're all stuck in our homes, maybe someone wants to talk about something non-covid related.

Sure, but a BO forum isn’t really the place to talk about something non-covid related. The BO performance of basically every movie for the next year has covid as the most important factor. It feels inescapable here because it is inescapably vital to what this whole forum is about 🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

why did you ever think so? (hypothetically asked)

there is a reason they get called FAUX news since decades

Well, all of them are clearly biased, Fox in favor of Trump and the Republicans, while CNN and MSNBC in favor of Hillary, Biden and the DNC, yet sometimes it seemed Fox was more aware of actual issues (like immigration, terrorism etc.), while the left-wing media focused a bit too much on identity politics and other issues I don't really consider to be that important. I also like Tucker Carlson's show and I agree with many things he's pointing out, so I guess I am a conservative.

But during this pandemic, Fox has turned into a complete clown-show imo

11 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Well, all of them are clearly biased, Fox in favor of Trump and the Republicans, while CNN and MSNBC in favor of Hillary, Biden and the DNC, yet sometimes it seemed Fox was more aware of actual issues (like immigration, terrorism etc.), while the left-wing media focused a bit too much on identity politics and other issues I don't really consider to be that important. I also like Tucker Carlson's show and I agree with many things he's pointing out, so I guess I am a conservative.

But during this pandemic, Fox has turned into a complete clown-show imo

Tucker Carlson is the literal embodiment of a clown...an utter embarrassment to logic. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Tucker Carlson is the literal embodiment of a clown...an utter embarrassment to logic. 

... is what a left-winger would probably say. He's the only one holding Trump accountable for poor management of the crisis and also acknowledging Richard Burr's coronavirus briefing-fiasco.

Try watching the debate between him and Cenk Uygur. Even if you're against his beliefs, you'll see that this guy is really ok.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The media in the US are so busy bashing each other its so funny.

Edited by Essem