DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

8 hours ago, Andreas said:

Well, all of them are clearly biased, Fox in favor of Trump and the Republicans, while CNN and MSNBC in favor of Hillary, Biden and the DNC, yet sometimes it seemed Fox was more aware of actual issues (like immigration, terrorism etc.), while the left-wing media focused a bit too much on identity politics and other issues I don't really consider to be that important. I also like Tucker Carlson's show and I agree with many things he's pointing out, so I guess I am a conservative.

But during this pandemic, Fox has turned into a complete clown-show imo

Bias like you describe it, is interpreting actions of... as positive or negative.

There is a huge difference between bias (some of it got enlarged for reasons, like a reaction to injustice...) and systematically misinforming and / or lying, hiding behind ‚opinion‘.

FAUX News did not start with e.g. Obama, it stated long before that.

Even if you describe yourself as a conservative, there are way better outlets than FAUX News, who also uses propaganda methods, uses psychology based manipulations and worse.

Someone in this thread stated the news got worse since in the ‘80. In that time Ronald Reagan refused to sign the extension of an existing law: roughly it said to speak the truth in news. 

In my POV still the most impacting thing one statesman did (or caused by refusing to do). Its impact spread like cancer.

Yes, there was no regulation for new media, but instead of looking into how to prepare for that.... 

• Like 2

Animosity between party lines has become so toxic and negative that people prefer to do the hatred dance on a pile of corpses instead of coming together and trying to find solutions to avoid said pile.

That s where we re at.

With various degrees depending on the country.

That Trump guy seems to have a bad reputation in the US and it destroys the brain cellls of its haters.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Interesting article comparing the various outcomes between countries.  The big takeaway seems to be test, test and test some more. 

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/the-puzzle-of-coronavirus-a-huge-variation-in-rates-of-death-and-severe-disease-across-the-globe-20200402-p54gkr.html#comments

"Using Chinese data"

:hahaha:

• Like 2

Either

China is lying hard on their numbers and they are bad/catastrophic

or

they are not lying that much and they took measures no democracies would have dared to take.

Which will allow them to be the first world superpower quite easily selling us masks 10$ a piece because they have a working class actually willing to work hard in factories to produce them en masse.

YOu think the average westerner who worked decades in the tertiary world is ready to become a working class hero in slave shops factories ?

Think again.

Remember in China the collective superceeds the individual.

Edited by The Futurist
24 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I would argue this Covid crisis is gonna shape the entire future of mankind for decades to come.

There will certainly come some big changes, depending on how well the different countries deal with the economic repercussions. What's become clear is that the USA are no longer the leading force in the "western" world, in fact they are seemingly one of the worst-prepared countries despite having had more warning time than nearly everyone else. Looking at big ecomomies, obviously Australia, Japan, SoutKorea, Germany are handling this pretty well. China - well, you can see how the managed to contain the outbreak but I guess nobody would want to live in such a country. Also I don't know if China will emerge from the whole affair as a big winner; their economy is very dependent on exports and with nearly the whole world in a downspin, you can't not get heavily affected.

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Animosity between party lines has become so toxic and negative that people prefer to do the hatred dance on a pile of corpses instead of coming together and trying to find solutions to avoid said pile.

That s where we re at.

With various degrees depending on the country.

That Trump guy seems to have a bad reputation in the US and it destroys the brain cellls of its haters.

You never seem to level any criticism against Trump...and you're talking about frying brains. There is blame to be leveled against the left, but it is dwarfed by how horrendous the right (in power) has been in handling the coronavirus.

53 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Either

China is lying hard on their numbers and they are bad/catastrophic

or

they are not lying that much and they took measures no democracies would have dared to take.

Which will allow them to be the first world superpower quite easily selling us masks 10$ a piece because they have a working class actually willing to work hard in factories to produce them en masse.

YOu think the average westerner who worked decades in the tertiary world is ready to become a working class hero in slave shops factories ?

Think again.

Remember in China the collective superceeds the individual.

Of course China is lying about their numbers...massively so. And while China is more of a collectivist society, its government is anything but. It's focused solely and utterly on its longevity and grip on power and will utterly crush its citizens for leveling verbal criticism they don't want to hear. And if you're saying the collective supercedes the individual, then the absolute minimum China could have done is to accurately record the number of infections so the world would have a better understanding. Where are the doctors who raised the alarm regarding the virus? Jailed or killed. Japan is a society AND a government that's collectivist. 

Whenever you attempt at making a valid point you have this innate ability to destroy it by spouting so many pseudo-psychological information that cannot be properly applied. 

• Like 3
23 hours ago, peludo said:

Spain - Friday

117,710 positive cases (+7,472 relative to Thursday) +6.78%

10,935 deaths (+932) +9.32%

30,513 healed (+3,770) +14.10%

76,262 active cases (+2,770) +3.77%

New positive cases under 7% for the first time.

Daily death number drops a bit, but still over 900.

Healed people over 30,000. Curious to see that, comparing to Italy, which has a very similar amount of positive cases, Spain has a way higher number of healed people (30k vs 18k). Italian data from worldometers.info

Active cases increase under 4%. Again, lowest absolute increase since March 22nd.

Spain - Saturday

124,736 positive cases (+7,026 relative to Friday) +5.97%

11,744 deaths (+809) +7.40%

34,219 (+3,706) +12.15%

78,733 active cases (+2,511) +3.29%

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, a2k said:

As I said yesterday, that case makes me ANGRY 😡 

I hope they start to get those kind of people into jail for murder, preferably 1st degree. (Realistically legally they might have a chance on a lesser degree, or causing injury leading death or so for future cases, as that one was before the official lockdown I think)

I literally lost my mind and exploded on a co-worker who came to work coughing like a crazy person n friday and sad that you do realize that many of us have immune-compromised parents.

After that I told my work I am working 100 percent from home.

Cant trust people these days and its causing so much anxiety been getting anxiety attacks.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2
2 hours ago, Noctis said:

You never seem to level any criticism against Trump...and you're talking about frying brains. There is blame to be leveled against the left, but it is dwarfed by how horrendous the right (in power) has been in handling the coronavirus.

Of course China is lying about their numbers...massively so. And while China is more of a collectivist society, its government is anything but. It's focused solely and utterly on its longevity and grip on power and will utterly crush its citizens for leveling verbal criticism they don't want to hear. And if you're saying the collective supercedes the individual, then the absolute minimum China could have done is to accurately record the number of infections so the world would have a better understanding. Where are the doctors who raised the alarm regarding the virus? Jailed or killed. Japan is a society AND a government that's collectivist. 

Whenever you attempt at making a valid point you have this innate ability to destroy it by spouting so many pseudo-psychological information that cannot be properly applied. 

If chinese numbers are somewhat true, it means they sacrificed people for the greater good aka  a country of 1,4B entirely covided.

You let an entire city get covided (the biggest cities of Wuhan I think), you don't try hard to save everybody, you close the city with a border/wall nobody and I mean Nobody can pass, you shoot on sight any trespasser.

You let famine & people getting crazy without hope develop in this closed city.

But Covid doesn't travel anymore, its carriers anyway.

The pandemic stops, at least the epicenter of it which is paramount in any pandemic.

I can't prove it but that s what I think China did to prevent massive European/Western/Other places type contamination in their country.

How do you think wars were won during the entire history of mankind ?

With Christian/Leftist values ?

With smiles and teddy bears ?

Think again.

Sacrifice, that malevolant word again, rears up its ugly head.

Also, don't assume the chinese regime is against its people, that s the biggest mistake any westerner (or person with western value you can have because you have comfort, comfort that took thousands of years to create) makes.

You wouldn't say that if you lived in CHina just 20 years ago when famines were still common ( I have a 30 something bartender in my town who is from China  and where he lived in the early 90's, he told me they used to squeeze plants to drink, you read me correct), the progress they made in about 4 decades is so massive it boggles the mind.

Literraly.

To be against its own people doesn't make sense on any level, even of the most basic ones such as evolutionary.

No life form destroys its sibblings on pure nihilism or whatever argument you can use in this case.

Western People have no clue the level of suffering the chinese people endured just until recently on so many levels compared to the comfort of living in the west we were able to create for ourselves  since the 50's/60's and so on.

The country was not in synch with the west historically and yes, it is the chinese dictatorship that put around 800m people out of middle age poverty and put them in giant urban areas and made the country the second most powerful country economically.

Is it so wrong to think you belong to a group of people to achieve a common good  and be ready to make sacrifices for it ?

Sacrifices are always unjust and horrible, that s its nature.

That s how we used to think in the west until WWII.

But comfort makes people lazy and coward, sorry but that s the cold hard truth.

I don't pretend to be any different by the way.

In France, we are so fucked we legalized euthanasia in nursing homes.

You read me correct, we re gonna kill our elders because we can't do anything for them.

No enough beds and respirators for them.

Living la vida loca you see.

You wanted to talk to me about morals, democracy vs dictatorship ?

Oh and let s hope China s numbers are somewhat correct, they are by far the biggest masks producers in the world.

And masks.

We wants them.

Badly.

Unless we start our own masks factories maybe but how long that would take ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

used DEEPL translator

Corona figures in Spain stabilize - but almost 12,000 deaths

In Spain, the figures for the corona crisis continue to stabilize three weeks after the start of the strict curfew. The growth rate of new infections decreased again until Saturday noon and was less than six percent. A total of about 7,000 new infections were detected, the total number was more than 124,700, according to the Ministry of Health.

At the same time, according to official figures, almost 4,000 patients suffering from Covid-19 were released as having recovered within one day. This means that more than 34,000 patients have already recovered. Spain is one of the countries most affected by the crisis worldwide.

The number of deaths has also fallen. Nevertheless, more than 800 deaths were recorded within 24 hours for the eighth time in a row. The total number was around 11 700, 809 more than on Friday. The regions of Madrid and Catalonia remain particularly hard hit

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 1

In Dachau (famous city nearby Munich) a hospital patient getting treatment for something else didn‘t show signs (or only later on), based on that the patient infected a LOT of personal and other patients.

Hospital is quarantined, no ones is allowed to enter, to leave only such that go into private quarantine.

Over 1000 people within the hospital, all of those will get tested

Only one missed / with no signs caused that, I hope a few of the people still not understanding will get a hint. Again. I guess I am an optimist.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Porthos said:

And, anyway, the real problem isn't the majors.  There's enough greed money at stake that if they can find something that has a whiff of public safety around it, they'll try to do it.  Not succeed I again add... but try.

No, the real problem is the minors.  Take all the near-impossible logistical hurdles involved with 30 teams and multiply that by around 5 to 8 or so. AND add in practically no revenue reasons to do it if they are in empty stadiums. 

There is the real hurdle, IMO.  And there are a few teams in the major leagues right now who nearly care more about how their minor leaguers are doing than the major leaguers.

If I were a betting man (and again I'm not) I could see the entire minor league season get wiped out before the major league one.  Maybe have some instructional leagues up and running.  Maybe the DSL (in the Dominican Republic) will still go on due to the laws down there.  But aside from that?  Can't see many minor league games being played.   Maybe a stripped down two month season in July and August at AA and AAA, but that's about it.

Now @doublejack could be right in that the entire MLB season will be scrapped.  But mark my words, they'll be dragged kicking and screaming all along the way.  

The minors? A far far different story.  That I don't have much hope on if social distancing restrictions keep up into June and July.

I agree...I think they'll play baseball this summer...and I think they'll start with no fans...

Even if it's 200 people a game (and I'm sure they are looking at getting that number down to 150 or so - there will be one broadcast for tv and 1 for radio...and it will be what you get b/c you will be happy you are getting anything)...stadiums seat 40,000.

They can easily set up people to be wildly far apart and covered up (including the players - I don't expect teams to be confined to a dugout, but instead behind the nets on each side of home plate, so they can go all the way to 1st/3rd to spread out - and they'd have assigned seats...and the pitchers might get the outfield seats and bullpen).  And heck, the players might also play masked (and they already have gloves)...

Too much money for the majors to pass on.  They'll come up with a half season plan.

That said, the minors are toast...the money for them isn't there to play, so the development will be a lost season,,,

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Lots of articles about increased prices for masks....

Just learned about other articles that increased too. 

webcams plus 400% (I think they mean 5 times)

Hair cutting kits plus 319%

Puzzles plus 170%

Yoga-mat plus 48%

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

You know what s funny ?

IN the US, it seems there is the classic battle between Trumpers, Fox news & Democrats/NYT/NBC on how Trump took the Covid menace lightly and how he knew and how he handled the crisis badly yaddy yada etc

We did better in France, with a progressist president that shares ALL your values, we had the same message than Fox News on

ALL FUCKING MEDIA.

Covid- 19 ?

No biggie folks, we got this.

Despite some doubts here and there, we heard this song up until mid March.

Which means 95% of french media were acting under the orders of Macron on what to say and what not to say about Covid since January up until mid March and they had to admit the situation was getting ouf of control in a very bad way and we got confined the next day.

The amount of bullshit and lies we heard since the beginning of the crisis from french media, doctors and scientists , Macron and his team make look  Trump and  Fox news like decent, coherent, competent people.

Be at peace Americans, in other parts of the world, things are actually way worse.

The testimonies I hear from doctors and nurses that work in ER and  ICU  in the worst clusters of France are straight out of horror movies.

They have little to no protection and for them, it is a constant stream of pain and suffering and grinding work all day for too few victories ...

I don't know how long they will be able to confront this situation ...

It is the medical trenches.

WAR.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2