DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

216k tests today 🥳   

Even removing the 46k finally removed from Cali pending, that’s still 170k, which is a healthy increase.    

and at 34k positive, the positive rate dropped a good bit. I think there’s some reporting weirdness today though, let’s see if we can have those trends stick through Tues.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

99% of flat earthers are from UK/USA. About 75% are Trumpers KAG Qanon folks

The people are real, but they don't live in reality. I know because some are family. When I'm forced to be around relatives that are of that persuasion I say things like "So, have you been to the zoo recently? They have an awesome new unicorn exhibit. If you get there early enough you can pet and feed them. I'm hoping they add a Pegasus soon." They're living in fantasy land, may as well indulge it.

But mostly I choose not to see those relatives anymore. There's no point.

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Attaboy, Bill Gates. This is a legit good “waste” of money. Efficiency is not the goal here.

Bezos who is worth more gives 100m (gates did weeks ago). Gates says here is another billion jesus

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Jason said:

It made an exception for essential workers - have you been declared essential? If not, someone should report your workplace.

Me being a business analyst is essential as I work for a bank even though currently we have zero projects going and everything is on hold

I being assigned to other tasks but I just want to work from home.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

99% of flat earthers are from UK/USA. About 75% are Trumpers KAG Qanon folks

A couple of years back, I was reading about how anyone in this day and age gets sucked into the flat earth movement or similar things.  Quite interesting actually, as it might not be exactly what one would think.

Folks will fall down a rabbit hole or two and come across the concept of the Alleged Big Lie.  That is, boiled down, if Society/Government/Schools/Whatever is lying about as something as fundamental as, oh say the moon landing, what else are they lying about?  If Big School/Big Government/Big Pharma can lie about a round earth, then they will lie about anything.

And once someone has convinced themselves that The Elites are lying about everything, the spiral really accelerates.  What might ordinarily be healthy skepticism devolves into cultish, paranoid behavior.  

Needless to say it's also a movement ripe for splitting and accusations of heresy.

Let me see if I can remember which one it was for a quick search...

Yeah, this article from The New Yorker was it:

Looking for Life on a Flat Earth

Really is an interesting, if very unsettling at times, article

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A couple of years back, I was reading about how anyone in this day and age gets sucked into the flat earth movement or similar things.  Quite interesting actually, as it might not be exactly what one would think.

Folks will fall down a rabbit hole or two and come across the concept of the Alleged Big Lie.  That is, boiled down, if Society/Government/Schools/Whatever is lying about as something as fundamental as, oh say the moon landing, what else are they lying about?  If Big School/Big Government/Big Pharma can lie about a round earth, then they will lie about anything.

And once someone has convinced themselves that The Elites are lying about everything, the spiral really accelerates.  What might ordinarily be healthy skepticism devolves into cultish, paranoid behavior.  

Needless to say it's also a movement ripe for splitting and accusations of heresy.

It's fascinating re-reading it two years later as it is at once recognizable yet bizarre. It's like the scientific method or rational skepticism, put applied through a distorted fun house mirror.  Or "through a glass, darkly" as the old phrase goes.  That is, it's skepticism taken to the irrational degree. Putting blind faith into another concept or people and it evolves into something akin to a counter-culture movement all the while going through the motions of an alleged scientific method while doing actually none of it.

As I think about it, describing the Flat Earth scene as a counter-culture movement probably is the best way to put it.   And one that is relatively harmless in most situations, but far less so in a global pandemic.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's fascinating re-reading it two years later as it is at once recognizable yet bizarre. It's like the scientific method or rational skepticism, put applied through a distorted fun house mirror.  Or "through a glass, darkly" as the old phrase goes.  That is, it's skepticism taken to the irrational degree. Putting blind faith into another concept or people and it evolves into something akin to a counter-culture movement all the while going through the motions of an alleged scientific method while doing actually none of it.

As I think about it, describing the Flat Earth scene as a counter-culture movement probably is the best way to put it.   And one that is relatively harmless in most situations, but far less so in a global pandemic.

It’s all too easy to convince yourself that the experts have something to hide, or part of a cabal... and then everything they say should be ignored.

I really wish our society would put greater weight on critical thinking (from elementary school onwards).

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It’s all too easy to convince yourself that the experts have something to hide, or part of a cabal... and then everything they say should be ignored.

I really wish our society would put greater weight on critical thinking (from elementary school onwards).

Or worse, actively trying to harm you for their sinister purposes.

This is the point where they cross the line from being harmless quacks/eccentrics to folks who try to shoot up pizza parlors or derail trains into hospital ships.

• Like 2

So what is Nate Silver saying here?

That red states are social distancing as much as blue states

or

Red states don't need to social distance because they are less densely populated?

• ...wtf 1
23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Folks will fall down a rabbit hole or two and come across the concept of the Alleged Big Lie.  That is, boiled down, if Society/Government/Schools/Whatever is lying about as something as fundamental as, oh say the moon landing, what else are they lying about?  If Big School/Big Government/Big Pharma can lie about a round earth, then they will lie about anything.

For me flat earth was and still remains one of the easiest things ever to dismiss. Yes USSR and USA and China would totally work together.....sure sure to coordinate such an elaborate hoax. I get why people get drawn into it but those facts make it laughable.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

So what is Nate Silver saying here?

That red states are social distancing as much as blue states

or

Red states don't need to social distance because they are less densely populated?

Mostly the former. If I had to read into his other statement it would be that it is easier to be socially distant in a non-urban city core.

Nate Silver isn't a COVID-skeptic by any means.  But he does seem to be... irritated?  Yes, I think that is a good word to use, at some of the sweeping statements being used that aren't supported as much by hard data as some folks think they are.  But that is his hobby horse (bad use of data by punditry), so it's to be expected.

====

What Nate Silver could be accurately called is a skeptic surrounding the certainty some folks are using for any of the scenarios being floated about (including both of the best and worst case scenarios).  But skeptic in the actual sense of the word as he wants to see more data before committing to it.  

I think the best way to put this is that he thinks this is an exceedingly dangerous situation, but he isn't willing to make sweeping conclusions on what's going to happen x months from now or how long it will take to beat back the coronavirus.

Reading him over the last couple of weeks, if he is on any train, it is the "more testing, then even more testing, and good god in heaven even more testing after that" train.

But this is all from casual reading of him, so consider that for what it's worth.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

We have a conspiracy thread on this forum, and it’s wiiiiiild. :lol: 

I'm aware. ;) I judicially worded most of my comments because of that fact. :)

(probably should have cut exactly one word from my post, but softened it up a bit by adding a qualifier)

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm aware. ;) I judicially worded most of my comments because of that fact. :)

(probably should have cut exactly one word from my post, but softened it up a bit by adding a qualifier)

The bit on the Hollow Earth was amazing — and annoying (or at least I remember it so). :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
11 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

For me flat earth was and still remains one of the easiest things ever to dismiss. Yes USSR and USA and China would totally work together.....sure sure to coordinate such an elaborate hoax. I get why people get drawn into it but those facts make it laughable.

Then again even at the very height of the Cold War there were people in the 70s and 80s who looked at the concept of CoDominium from the future history series of novels from Pournelle/Niven and nodded sagely to themselves "yep makes sense to me".

As I said yesterday:

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

Motivated reasoning is a hell of a drug