DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Then again even at the very height of the Cold War there were people in the 70s and 80s who looked at the concept of CoDominium from the future history series of novels from Pournelle/Niven and nodded sagely to themselves "yep makes sense to me".

As I said yesterday:

I mean, aren’t we basically in a CoDominion government right now? :ph34r:

• Astonished 2

Trump Says Football Season Should Start on Time

By  373 Comments

“In a conference call with major league sports commissioners on Saturday, President Trump said he believes the NFL season should start on time in September, ESPNreports.

“Trump also said he hopes to have fans back in stadiums and arenas by August and September, sources said, although it is currently unclear if medical experts find that to be a realistic timeline amid the current coronavirus pandemic.”

*sees very next post on Political Wire*

By  275 Comments

President Trump warned that America’s “toughest week” is coming up, predicting “there will be death” as the number of Covid-19 cases surges in the days ahead, Politicoreports.

He also announced that New York would be getting “about a thousand military people — nurses, doctors, lots of other people because that’s what they need.”

But Trump also signaled his growing impatience with the stringent social distancing measures states had put in place around the country, which have sent the economy spiraling rapidly downward.

Said Trump: “We have to open our country again. We have to open our country again. We don’t want to be doing this for months and months and months.”

0cmyl5S.gif

Yeaaah, time to break out Steam.  See y'all in a few hours. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Mostly the former. If I had to read into his other statement it would be that it is easier to be socially distant in a non-urban city core.

But... that's not true.  

I grew up in a rural area.  Yes, on any given day people in rural areas have much less contact than those in urban areas but they make up for it with big social gatherings... church,  huge family dinners, gatherings in town.  

The spread will be delayed but people rural areas still gather in groups more often than I do living just outside of Denver.

And rural states still have urban centers and many governors were slow in pushing social distancing measures and a couple overrode local city state at home directives.

And even though it is easier to be social distant in rural ares it doesn't matter how easy it is if the people don't believe it's necessary.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

...why... why would he take it if he doesn’t have CV?

🤦‍♂️

He either makes, for whatever reason, money with the drug or it's just a distraction.

Imagine what he could do with persons taking the medicine devoloping only mild or non symptoms.

It wouldn't matter if people were still dying in masses. He would, focus on promoting his leadership and advise that saved lives.

If that man has one talent, it's advertising and selling himself.

He's a scary reallife Gilderoy Lockhart. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Trump saw what Bolsonaro and Duterte were doing, he doesn't want to lose the race for the title of 'Worst Covid Crisis Leader'.

They're rivals but they stay friends. 🥰

FWIW, Nate was saying that

A) while red states are likely distancing less on average, the difference is smaller than a lot of Twitter are acting like

B ) some metrics (like avg miles traveled per day, for instance) make rural states look less good even if that’s not really the case. If two families are making one trip to a grocery store per week, but one lives 2 blocks from the closest grocery store and one lives 6 miles from the closest grocery store...

• Like 3

Some people were talking a few days ago about whether or not ventilators were successfully keeping patients alive and their usefulness and etc. Something in a New York Times article today seems relevant to this:

The virus attacks not only the lungs but also the heart, and in Britain, as of March 26, about two-thirds of Covid-19 patients on ventilators in intensive care units had suffered heart or lung failure and died.

If that's true that's pretty bad odds

A French orchestra has found a way around the coronavirus lockdown to record a 51-instrument rendition of Ravel’s Bolero. One by one.

Alone in their kitchens, lounges or dining rooms, individual Orchestre national de France (ONF) musicians played as their mobile phones recorded their parts in Maurice Ravel’s thrilling orchestral score.

Then the magic: a technician jigsawed the bits together into a video mosaic to create a near flawless, combined performance of woodwinds, brass, percussion and strings.

“I would never have imagined synchronising the sound of instruments not playing together,” said Dimitri Scapolan, a Radio France video editor in charge of the project. The ONF is one of two orchestras of Radio France.

“When I overlapped all the pieces recorded by the cellphones on my computer, to my great astonishment, everyone was in perfect harmony,” he told AFP.

“All I had to do was to adjust the levels a bit and add some resonance - it mixed itself. It was a pleasure.”

You can watch the performance here:

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Oh god... 

COBOL is still big in the insurance health software industry ( my industry )

When processing millions of transactions a day COBOL on a big iron is still the most effective way to go.

One of our products has been working for over 5 years to move from a mini computer to a network of distributed AWS solution and still can't match the performance. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, AndyLL said:

COBOL is still big in the insurance health software industry ( my industry )

When processing millions of transactions a day COBOL on a big iron is still the most effective way to go.

One of our products has been working for over 5 years to move from a mini computer to a network of distributed AWS solution and still can't match the performance. 

That’s legit wild. I knew a bunch of legacy software is either COBOL or FORTRAN, but I had no idea they were still competitive, performance-wise. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

That’s legit wild. I knew a bunch of legacy software is either COBOL or FORTRAN, but I had no idea they were still competitive, performance-wise. 

Clustered workstations passed mainframes in computing power around 2005 (I saw lots of articles with that general date) but mainframes have (had?) data throughput that blew away non-mainframes.  There are distributed solutions that can match it but they are much more complex.

But the biggest issue for companies is that these are massive enterprise software systems that are core to their businesses and it is a huge risk to replace them.  

• Like 3

This is a sobering but good thread. 

tl;dr — we’re being forced to triage and let people die. But we need to help them die without pain or suffering and currently we have a shortage of both hospice caretakers and the drugs needed. 

• Sad 3
On 2/7/2020 at 8:30 AM, DeeCee said:

Moderation

PLEASE AVOID CONSPIRACY THEORIES AND THE SPREADING OF MISINFORMATION.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Regards

BOT Staff

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

We have a conspiracy thread on this forum, and it’s wiiiiiild. :lol: 

And we’re back again. 

• Astonished 1