DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

58 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I thought a pandemic would stop people caring about Political correctness. 

We’re not talking about political correctness, we’re talking about not using incorrect terminology to stigmatize a people group.  

Complaining about “political correctness” in most cases seems to mostly just be people upset that they get called out for saying something racist now.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
44 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

What are france's numbers looking like today? Worldometer has them updated but it's hard to tell what their real numbers are with all the prior deaths being added. Says deaths are +833. Bad if they don't have prior deaths added, but if they do then i'm not really sure.

From what I saw there were 605 deaths in hospitals and 228 in nursing homes in 24 hours (833 total).

The 605 deaths in hospitals in 24 hours were the biggest to date in France, as far as I remember.

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

No an increase is good actually. It means that people are staying "home" (hopefully, in their own homes, not sure if Big Brother Google can see that). 'Residential' is up +24% in Italy.

That's now how I interpreted the data. This isn't a measurement of how much time people are spending at their home, it is a measure of time spent at the home of others. If I'm correct, then it is bad. Even if you are correct that number is way too low to be good.

3 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

From what I saw there were 605 deaths in hospitals and 228 in nursing homes in 24 hours (833 total).

The 605 deaths in hospitals in 24 hours were the biggest to date in France, as far as I remember.

Does this mean that the extra nursing home deaths are no longer from past dates? The added Nursing home deaths would now be daily?

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I have great news! These are the number of people who died in hospitals these last few days in France: 

April 2: 471

April 3: 588 

April 4: 441

April 5: 357

For a long time many predicted France would follow an Italian path, like Spain did but it never happened and the last data show us we're now at the peak. 

And that's despite France being more populated than both Spain and Italy. 

Good governments and leaders make a difference, I'm happy about the way it's been managed! 

😊😀

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20200406/13fe1703-e32e-40fe-9998-03485d0a5df6

If this is good news, I hope never to see what bad news is.

Rainbows and Unicorn false optimism is  wrong again.

We simply cannot afford wishful thinking. It is what got us into this mess.

14 minutes ago, The Panda said:

We’re not talking about political correctness, we’re talking about not using incorrect terminology to stigmatize a people group.  

Complaining about “political correctness” in most cases seems to mostly just be people upset that they get called out for saying something racist now.

This.  This a thousand times this.

"Caring about political correctness" in a time where people are on edge and more likely than ever to get a baseball bat and seek revenge on those they think are responsible for all of their woes is even more important than ever.

It's not "caring about political correctness".  It is telling folks "stop throwing Molotov cocktails around in an blazing inferno".

It will get people killed (and already has).

Want to say I'm engaging in "political correctness" now of all times?

Guilty.

As.

Charged.

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Crap. Here's to hoping for a full recovery.

====

Not sure if this was posted earlier:

Aides Had Denied Boris Johnson Was Seriously Ill

By  41 Comments

The Guardian was told last week that Johnson was more seriously ill than either he or his officials were prepared to admit, and that he was being seen by doctors who were concerned about his breathing. But Downing Street flatly denied that the prime minister’s health had seriously deteriorated, and insisted there were no plans at that point for him to be admitted to hospital.”

The Times of London says Johnson has had to receive oxygen treatment to help his breathing.

That's just sheer irresponsiblity. If not on Johnson's part (patients, never mind political leaders, are often ill equipped to make "responsible" medical decisions concerning their own health), then on his doctor's and medical staff's part that are charged with his well being.

Edited by Porthos

It was obvious yesterday that the government was lying about how bad Johnson's condition was, and they're still now going with the whole "he's just been moved to IC as a precaution" nonsense. He could be on a ventilator right now for all we know.

jeez hope he gets well soon. Sounds like he's not on a ventilator yet or anything so that's something. New York Times had an article saying that something like two thirds of patients who get put on ventilators don't survive.

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Switching gears:

Woof.  The Trump rot goes deeper and deeper.

"“If he didn't think, in my opinion, that this information wasn't going to get out into the public, in this day and information age that we live in, then he was either A, too naive, or too stupid to be a commanding officer of a ship like this."

Oh boy... 

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

"“If he didn't think, in my opinion, that this information wasn't going to get out into the public, in this day and information age that we live in, then he was either A, too naive, or too stupid to be a commanding officer of a ship like this."

Oh boy... 

124.gif

===

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The thing is we know China is to be blamed for the Virus but its not the fault of the people of the country but the govt

It is a hard point to get across without sowing anger, confusion at innocents. 

I do agree we have to be careful as many racists will try to go after all Asian people which is wrong 100%. 

Which is why i wary of political correctness as it gets in the way of the uncomfortable truth sometimes. 

I am just worried this will just blow over and we going to just avoid this with a ten foot pole after as we dont want to touch the hornets nest and we did the same after Sars in 2003. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Iran is moving to end it's shutdown, despite things not really improving there for weeks now:

Iran, a regional epicenter for the virus, will lift a nationwide business shutdown and the majority of the work force will return to work by Saturday, the government has announced.

President Hassan Rouhani said that economic and government activity had to continue, and that the idea that Iranians had to “chose between the economy and their health” was a false choice.

“This is completely false and rejected,” he said. “Both economic activity and health protocols can be implemented together.”

The return to business as usual this week covers all provinces except Tehran, the capital, which will follow suit a week later.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/world/coronavirus-live-news-updates.html

Edited by Killimano3
  • Sad 3
13 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It was obvious yesterday that the government was lying about how bad Johnson's condition was, and they're still now going with the whole "he's just been moved to IC as a precaution" nonsense. He could be on a ventilator right now for all we know.

It's possible. I read a claim that he's conscious and not on a ventilator (posted within the last 20 minute to Twitter), but I also read that nobody in the cabinet has talked to him since Saturday. I find those statements at odds. 

• Like 1