google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The UFC is one of the few pro sports that has a legitimate opportunity to keep going even through the pandemic. One of the advantages the sport has it is an individual sport and fighters can take a match on short notice. As long as they don't take too many hits, they can fight again pretty quickly, too. So you can quarantine a relatively small number of people and be able to hold regular fights.

Then there's the logistics advantage. Instead of contracts with multiple entities, there is only a need for a single crew working the broadcast. Coaching teams are small, it could be just one coach per fighter. The cutman is shared among all fighters. So the overall size of the support staff is very tiny.

Finally, the UFC will suffer the least financially from not having fans. For most pro sports the gate is a significant chunk of the revenue. UFC is mostly PPV and broadcaster driven, though. Sometimes they make a decent haul at the gate, but more often than not it is chump change compared to TV money. That's very different from the situation with say the NFL or MLB, where ticket sales make up a large chunk of revenue.

• Like 1

The daily US death toll on Worldometers is increasing again. Up to 1,913. (It was 1,877 20 minutes ago.) ☹️

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

The daily US death toll on Worldometers is increasing again. Up to 1,913. (It was 1,877 20 minutes ago.) ☹️

Why did Wisconsin vote today? I know that they don't have as many cases as other states, but this could put them in real danger.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Why did Wisconsin vote today? I know that they don't have as many cases as other states, but this could put them in real danger.

Republicans forced them too. They still dont want mail in voting either despite trump voting via mail.

Despite this, 30% of the group that would vote agains Trump will help him. It's sad

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, doublejack said:

The UFC is one of the few pro sports that has a legitimate opportunity to keep going even through the pandemic. One of the advantages the sport has it is an individual sport and fighters can take a match on short notice. As long as they don't take too many hits, they can fight again pretty quickly, too. So you can quarantine a relatively small number of people and be able to hold regular fights.

Then there's the logistics advantage. Instead of contracts with multiple entities, there is only a need for a single crew working the broadcast. Coaching teams are small, it could be just one coach per fighter. The cutman is shared among all fighters. So the overall size of the support staff is very tiny.

Finally, the UFC will suffer the least financially from not having fans. For most pro sports the gate is a significant chunk of the revenue. UFC is mostly PPV and broadcaster driven, though. Sometimes they make a decent haul at the gate, but more often than not it is chump change compared to TV money. That's very different from the situation with say the NFL or MLB, where ticket sales make up a large chunk of revenue.

I mean, even then it’s not just a couple of guys with a camera. The inside of a live production truck is packed with people. There might be ways around that — especially if you roll the dice, play fast and dirty, and hope no one gets sick — but it’s not easy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andreas said:

This sums up my state. 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, TLK said:

Iceland is more well-connected to the rest of the world than India. That is a huge factor in the spread. I think it has played a role in countries like Australia and New Zealand not being hit as hard as Europe.

There were dozens of direct flights per week between all Australian mainland capitals and more then a dozen cities in China. There were regular direct flights between Sydney in Wuhan until the end of January. I’d say that’s pretty well connected. 

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean, even then it’s not just a couple of guys with a camera. The inside of a live production truck is packed with people. There might be ways around that — especially if you roll the dice, play fast and dirty, and hope no one gets sick — but it’s not easy.

Private island make thing particularly easier I imagine, if you are ready to test everybody coming to the island while kept in quarantine before mixing them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Well if you put people on island and 14 days pass and no one is sick

You dont need social distancing then I think?

Issue is this could work but anyone coming onto the island would have to be isolated.

I am in favour of this...we need any sports or distraction.

Edited by Lordmandeep

A moment of levity: our Prime Minister said "speaking moistly" in his daily update today. I can't get over it, lol.

Peace,

Mike

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Republicans thought they would benefit by forcing the election to be held in hazardous conditions 🙄

• Sad 1

Looks like NRL Island is now off the agenda. It’s NRL Bubble. Two groups of 8 teams. One group at Sydney Olympic Park and the other at Panthers Leagues Club in Penrith western Sydney. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/netball/toughen-up-nsw-swifts-coach-slams-nrl-players-over-handling-of-pay-cuts-20200407-p54hta.html

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

I know the perfect island. 

Hide contents

IMO, if you're going to go for an island in the midst of a pandemic where you can make sure folks can't get in or out, why not go all out?

(even got the training facilities already set! :ph34r:)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

A moment of levity: our Prime Minister said "speaking moistly" in his daily update today. I can't get over it, lol.

Peace,

Mike

His wife got the all clear and he has no Corona issues, he should get out of the house I think... XD

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

US Total just hits 400,000. Today's death 1,966.

typo? 

edit: grammar sounds to me like sum = death count, obviously wrong

Edited by terrestrial

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

typo? 

edit: grammar sounds to me like sum = death count, obviously wrong

• Sad 1

Twitter boss Dorsey seems to plan to give $1b to at first Pandemie, but afterwards focus on health and education of girls, also for a basic income program / goal (something about no blocks)

That seems to be 28% of what he owns, its planed to be given in form of shares (Square)