DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

34 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

You don't have health care for free but you also pay way less taxes, earn way more, and everyone in the US can get a job. American people have the conditions to pay for their medical bills. We don't, because we pay too much taxes in order to have health care for all, so we don't earn enough on our jobs. In the end it's all the same.

No.

The UK has universal healthcare and their income tax for each income bracket is only a couple percentage points higher.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Here's what I don't understand about the IMHE modeling.... It has America's projected peak resource use and peak daily deaths happening this weekend.

I don't doubt both should reach their high points this month, but this weekend? Yesterday and today saw two of the top three highest new case/day totals, both around 33,000. The top day was April 4 with 34,000. So cases are still piling up. NYC is getting under control, but hotspots are popping up elsewhere in the country.

New York State looked to be getting better, but posted just over 10,000 cases in back-to-back days right now after three days under that benchmark.

Given the death statistics lag behind the new cases by roughly a week, and were still adding over 30,000 new cases a day (still with testing limited), It just doesn't make sense to me that resource use and daily deaths peak this weekend.

Only thing I can think of is that the models are presuming that the rise of cases outside New York City will be easier to manage due to lower population density.

I haven't been following the IMHE modeling closely. Is there anyone here who has who has and can comment on this?

While not talking specifically about the model Dr. Birx talked about this topic today. She mentioned that Philadelphia and DC are likely to be hot spots in the next week, but the number of cases per thousand is far smaller than NY. So as NY starts to decline (which is expected to happen after this weekend) then the hot spots elsewhere are not expected to rise fast enough to offset it due to these newer hotspots having had some time to take mitigation measures first.

Now if NY does not start to decline or the hot spots rise faster than current expectations than the models will be off.

A growing list of celebs are spouting the "5G Towers are what is creating COVID-19" conspiracy theory, and several say it is the next step in the New World Order global takeover:

https://www.okayplayer.com/news/5g-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory.html

(Woody Harrelson being one of them legit saddened me.)

Edited by PDC1987
  • ...wtf 1
16 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

A growing list of celebs are spouting the "5G Towers are what is creating COVID-19" conspiracy theory, and several say it is the next step in the New World Order global takeover:

https://www.okayplayer.com/news/5g-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory.html

(Woody Harrelson being one of them legit saddened me.)

5G towers......... Wut

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

5G towers......... Wut

You REALLY don't want to know.  Seriously.

(jet fuel apparently doesn't melt steel beams, but apparently radio waves cook tissue cells :rolleyes:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

Trump Wants to Reopen Country Within 3 Weeks

By  394 Comments

“The Trump administration is pushing to reopen much of the country next month, raising concerns among medical experts and economists of a possible covid-19 resurgence if Americans return to their normal lives before the virus is truly stamped out.” the Washington Post reports.

“Behind closed doors, President Trump — concerned with the sagging economy — has sought a strategy for resuming business activity by May 1.”

“In phone calls with outside advisers, Trump has even floated trying to reopen much of the country before the end of this month, when the current federal recommendations to avoid social gatherings and work from home expire.”

0cmyl5S.gif

DeSantis Thinks Virus Doesn’t Impact Young People

By  191 Comments

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) falsely claimed that the novel coronavirus hasn’t killed anyone under 25 nationwide while discussing a timeline for reopening schools in the state, CNN reports.

Said DeSantis: “This particular pandemic is one where, I don’t think nationwide there’s been a single fatality under 25. For whatever reason it just doesn’t seem to threaten, you know, kids.”

He added: “And we lose in Florida between five and 10 kids a year for the flu. This one, for whatever reason, much more dangerous if you’re 65 and plus than the flu, no doubt about that, if you’re younger it just hasn’t had an impact. So that should factor into how we’re viewing this.”

Th3JfB0.gif

• Like 1
Just now, Porthos said:

0cmyl5S.gif

Th3JfB0.gif

If cases and deaths don't reduce, they will walk it back. And if they do reopen things, the big increases will cause a quick aboutface like in China.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If cases and deaths don't reduce, they will walk it back. And if they do reopen things, the big increases will cause a quick aboutface like in China.

Resetting the clock in the process, of course... 

• Like 1

What can he reopen if NY, CA and many other big states stay "closed" anyway? Florida beaches?

Trump is going to talk about reopening the economy very-very-quickly for a long time, this is less worrying than the lack of a real federal plan to prevent a second wave when it is actually time to reopen.

• Like 1

Guess who's got two thumbs and scored TWO boxes of unsalted tops crackers tonight!!! :ohmygod:

Still don't have my whole boneless pork loin for Easter, but details, details. :ph34r:

===

Seriously, crackers have been gone in every last store I checked the last month or so, so you can better believe I snapped two up tonight when I had the chance. :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

What can he reopen if NY, CA and many other big states stay "closed" anyway? Florida beaches?

There DO happen to be a lot of federal workers.  But putting a thumb on the court of opinion is probably more impactful:

People tend to take cues from their political leaders, and this could be quite the cue.

But Matty Y is also correct.

Could have the worst of both worlds:  Increased COVID exposure without any meaningful effect to the economy.

(and, as has been noted in this thread more than once, cities that opened up 'early' during the Spanish Flu took longer to bounce back economically than the places that waited longer)

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Guess who's got two thumbs and scored TWO boxes of unsalted tops crackers tonight!!! :ohmygod:

Still don't have my whole boneless pork loin for Easter, but details, details. :ph34r:

===

Seriously, crackers have been gone in every last store I checked the last month or so, so you can better believe I snapped two up tonight when I had the chance. :lol: 

Since we're not going anywhere, I let my kids vote for Easter dinner.

They wanted me to recreate the pandemic Chinese delivery birthday dinner from March, where I got contactless delivery, pulled out all the food, and reheated it (and even took the fortune cookies out of the packaging)...so I said yes...I guess I can serve it in nicer bowls this time:)...

Yeah, yeah, I know it doesn't tend to pass in food...but it will be the one time my driver has it...or the chef has it and sneezes...and I'd feel like an idiot if I went to St Peter and said I was too lazy to toss stuff in the microwave for a minute or the oven for 5 before having an Easter dinner I didn't even cook myself...I mean, if I've stayed home an entire month, what's one more step?:)

That said, I do have a duck if they change their minds...b/c if it were up to me, we'd be having roast duck a la orange with duck fat roasted potatoes and a citrus salad...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PDC1987 said:

No.

The UK has universal healthcare and their income tax for each income bracket is only a couple percentage points higher.

Never easy to calculate such things (nobody pay their actual tax rate, everyone has a long list of rebate and I imagine effective is what matter), but

Income tax: taxable bands and rates 2019/2020

Taxable income
(England, Wales and Northern Ireland)Rate of tax

£0 - £12,5000% (personal allowance)

£12,501 - £50,000 / 20% (basic rate)

£50,001 - £150,000 / 40% (higher rate)

Over £150,000 / 45% (additional rate)

According to this if you earn 90,000 US:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/

Earn £72,208 in 2020/2021 and you'll take home £50,524. This means £4,210 in your pocket a month.

Over the year you'll pay £16,380 income tax and £5,304 in National Insurance.

In Texas

https://smartasset.com/taxes/texas-tax-calculator#Gfjg6YmVau

Income after tax: $70,141 or  £56,275

That seem 36% more in the UK.

And yes according to the OCDE:

Gross adjusted household disposable income, United states is by a good measure the highest in the world (outside the luxembourg type being close):

https://data.oecd.org/hha/household-disposable-income.htm

United States 50 291.7
Luxembourg 47 138.9
Switzerland 41 560.6
Germany 40 698.9
Australia 40 236.7
Norway 39 555.3
Austria 38 333.1
Belgium 36 044.1
Netherlands 35 740.3
Canada 35 722.9
France 35 380.3
Denmark 34 711.9
Finland 34 496.8
Sweden 34 365.8

So there seem to have some dynamic of way way more disposable income, but have to pay for more services than elsewhere going on.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I actually came to post this brilliant ad. Well done Ohio. 

That is brilliant. It's clever, simple, and I think above all else, visually appealing. 

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Not really. The US pays almost twice as much in healthcare costs then most OECD countries yet has worse health outcomes across multiple measures. 

Indeed. The US' health expenditure as a percentage of GDP is easily the highest among OECD countries, at 16.9%

https://data.oecd.org/healthres/health-spending.htm

But despite spending the most, the US fares poorly (below average) compared to other OECD countries on most measures of healthcare accessibility, and below average on life expectancy, all-cause mortality, and avoidable mortality, for example.

https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/docserver/4dd50c09-en.pdf?expires=1586489977&id=id&accname=guest&checksum=FA61F36FE7A66E369F9C55DC1B90357F

Research shows that one of top reasons for why US healthcare costs are so high is because of its fragmented system that multiplies administrative costs. The US system therefore also fares poorly on technical efficiency.

In sum, the US system is both expensive and inefficient, while falling behind on most health indicators, which is not terribly surprising given the US remains the only high-income country without a universal health care system.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 4