DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

How in the heck is the Texas death count so low versus positive cases?

Utah as well wow.

Not sure about Texas, but as for Utah, we’re one of the healthiest states in America and have one of the highest testing rates per capita.

According to https://www.americashealthrankings.org, Utah has the lowest high blood pressure rate among adults, 10th lowest Obesity rate, second lowest diabetes rate, lowest heart disease rate, and the second lowest physical inactivity rate. Probably also helps that it’s not the middle of winter when the pollution can get really bad.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

WTF

He is incapable of going a whole day without making himself look like a complete idiot.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

WTF

Step 1: Create antibiotics to revolutionize medicine

Step 2: Germs get smart, invent their own anti-antibiotic

Step 3: Defeat germs at their own game and make an anti-anti-antibiotic

The world is saved

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, it is the defining element of US government...of the people's money, by the people's money, for the people's money).

Fixed :ph34r:

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, grim22 said:

WTF

Trump's using his adjectives to describe the virus now. Soon it'll be "yuge" and "tremendous."

I am going to put this here since it is COVID related and she also have a positive coorelation to movie watching.

Survey out today asking American's about returning to watch sporting events. 

http://blogs.shu.edu/sportspoll/2020/04/09/nearly-3-of-4-americans-say-they-wont-attend-games-without-coronavirus-vaccine-developed/

I sort of imagine you will see similar numbers for movie watching.

Over 70% of respondants said they would not attend a sporting event until there is a vaccine.  And only 13% said they would attend without social distancing measures. Apply that to movie watching and it would be hard for almost any studio or any movie theater to turn a profit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

In Austria, the testing of a representative sample of 2.000 Austrians last weekend showed a 0,5% positive rate ... which means that, despite Austria being a little hotspot, any talks about "herd immunity" are way way off. It also means that testing in Austria was pretty good, of course you're missing cases but the dark figures are probably only about 2-3x the confirmed cases, not 10x or bigger as some had suggested.

I am a bit curious here, but at a first look,  was it a PCR test (i.e. who has actively it right now) and not a serology test (the test that matter when talking about herd immunity) ?

We need random serology test result I feel like, many are starting and will give an idea of how many got it between early-mid January and now (or since december in many place) :

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-10/coronavirus-antibodies-testing-los-angeles-county

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

WTF

So, the easy explanation here is that someone had to ELI5 to Trump why an antibiotic wouldn't work on COVID. Trump is not smart and very transparent, so he just regurgitated, more or less, what he heard. Don't worry if he sounded foolish about it. He'll have completely forgotten this information in a couple of days.

21 minutes ago, cookie said:

Trump's using his adjectives to describe the virus now. Soon it'll be "yuge" and "tremendous."

Read some of his "speeches". His vocabulary includes an extremely limited number of adjectives. He demonstrates the equivalent of about a 4th or 5th grade education, which is about what I'd expect from a well off bully who never worked for anything in his life. President Biff Tannen.

• Like 2

Gifts from the Dear Leader. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

I am going to put this here since it is COVID related and she also have a positive coorelation to movie watching.

Survey out today asking American's about returning to watch sporting events. 

http://blogs.shu.edu/sportspoll/2020/04/09/nearly-3-of-4-americans-say-they-wont-attend-games-without-coronavirus-vaccine-developed/

I sort of imagine you will see similar numbers for movie watching.

Over 70% of respondants said they would not attend a sporting event until there is a vaccine.  And only 13% said they would attend without social distancing measures. Apply that to movie watching and it would be hard for almost any studio or any movie theater to turn a profit.

Exactly what I've been saying. Trump can go ahead and declare the economy open. It won't matter, a good percentage of the public will be staying home. Be prepared for a deep and lasting downturn. This is going to be a very bumpy ride.

• Like 1

A way to track country that could be missing deaths ?:

Multicountry-zscore-Total.png

Considering the rise in mortality in Europe seem completely different from 0-14 year's old, 15-64 and the 65+ it seem fair to assume the rise in death among the 65+ is covid related.

According to those graph

Belgium

France

Italy

Netherlands

Spain

Swiss

UK

Are the euro country that seem to have been affected before week 14.

Some country are doing so well they have less death than usual like Estonia, FInland, Austria. Germany, Hungary, Greece, Ireland, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway (I imagine the lockdown reduce mortality, making less impressive covid death in country with excess mortality that they actually are)

IF it is not a mistake for delay data, for the under 65 the peak of mortality could have past, Italy seem to have slowed/falten the curve week 14.

The shape of the curve before they go down (say Netherlands, Spain) or yet to do down like UK are a bit frightening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Exactly what I've been saying. Trump can go ahead and declare the economy open. It won't matter, a good percentage of the public will be staying home. Be prepared for a deep and lasting downturn. This is going to be a very bumpy ride.

If Trump had even managed a C+ response to this people probably would have been pleasantly surprised but he couldn’t even manage that.

Everyone who thinks he’s an idiot will just ignore him and everyone who thinks he can do no wrong will follow his advice and get themselves killed and get others killed in the process. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Not sure about Texas, but as for Utah, we’re one of the healthiest states in America and have one of the highest testing rates per capita.

According to https://www.americashealthrankings.org, Utah has the lowest high blood pressure rate among adults, 10th lowest Obesity rate, second lowest diabetes rate, lowest heart disease rate, and the second lowest physical inactivity rate. Probably also helps that it’s not the middle of winter when the pollution can get really bad.

Awesome I can't wait to visit this year 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

In this case, it will do neither. The laissez-faire, hands off approach of the US government will cause hundreds of thousands of "the people" to die. And it isn't a deep respect for civil liberties that led to this total lack of preparation and timid response, but a psychopathic lack of respect for human life; and a level of incompetence that can be described as criminal.

I get that people want the hardcore approach and it produces results but often there is a human cost to that as well. Prudently it would better if I never took any vacations, saved all my money and easily could retire by 50. I was on track for 57-58. Then I moved to England for 3 years and pushed it back at least 6 years. 

Many would say that's the wrong decision but I sure don't regret it. Not for one sec. I might die any day from anything, I'd rather be at peace with my choices.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 3

This health crisis is really opening my eyes to the thin line between profitability and bankruptcy, among the big powerful conglomerate companies. I figured most of them could ride this out, no problem. Yet I'm seeing a lot of layoffs, furloughs, all kinds of penny pinching measures. AMC may go out of business! The only ones that can truly survive this is the big 4 sports (MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL).

2 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

This health crisis is really opening my eyes to the thin line between profitability and bankruptcy, among the big powerful conglomerate companies. I figured most of them could ride this out, no problem. Yet I'm seeing a lot of layoffs, furloughs, all kinds of penny pinching measures. AMC may go out of business! The only ones that can truly survive this is the big 4 sports (MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL).

Buybacks beyond the point of avoiding dilution should be illegal. They represent basically 100% of the stock gains the past 12 years. 100%

• Like 1

DeSantis wants to reopen schools. I really hate that scumbag. Florida will be one of the first to reopen. He's such an asshole! 

• Like 2