google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

7 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Is the Washington post considered a reliable publication?

Yes, very credible.

42 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

1) what makes you say that?

P.S. That lender was run by Steven Mnunchin.

1) That the vast majority of people have no large delinquent debts/zombie account with old debt at banks ? That an hunch, how many American are "stealing" from banks ? Is it that common ? It is not like Banks can use them to pay regular debt.

Delinquency rate tend to be under 5%:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DRALACBS

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DRCCLACBS

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DRCLACBS

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-delinquency-statistics-1276.php

Even during the height of the 2008-2009 crisis it was under 10%

2) hahahahahahahaha (edit: our banks don’t care one whit about PR. There’s an infamous example where they foreclosed on an old retiree because she owed 27 cents)

And I imagine they lost and got hurt in court for doing so (no judge would let something like that ever happen) and I imagine it was a local branch manager not something decided at the home office to do something like that, but here there is already a bank saying they will not let the check goes into account with large negative delinquent debt in them that will eat the amount

Edited by Barnack

16 minutes ago, AndyK said:

To Americans yes

But to people outside America, American journalism is very low quality on avg compared to the BBC or CBC these days.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Almost all american media is a joke. Here in Romania, most of the media is still doing actual journalism, presenting the news stories in an objective manner, without trying to spin them or frame them to serve their political bias. In the US media the bias is so obvious, the left-wing media are basically cheerleaders for the democrats and the right-wing media are cheerleaders for the republicans.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

28 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I think many are still underestimating how severe the economic fallout is going to be.

Possible, could imagine that the meme about people caring about the economic impact of this will not age well.

For comparison.

Worldwide official death toll of Covid-19 on March 14th, exactly 1 Montha ago: 5392

1 Month later: Over 123,000.

• Sad 3

32 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Yes, very credible.

So what do you think of this?

5 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I am not sure why would one doubt that the some US official did take a look if this virus could not have been the result of getting out of a lab that would have been studying it, it would be strange to be otherwise. Or doubt that after SRAS a lot of labs where studying bats to human coronavirus infection.

So ? The fact they found nothing indicating that was the case should not be use has a proof that not the case too and it will be bad to start to blame the US government to not have reacted to those cable and to not offer to pay for a Chinese lab upgrade.

All of this are obvious legitimate question and a world check on lab security level will have to occur.

Edited by Barnack

An analysis of antibodies in blood samples was done in Scotland and it shows that 0.6% of the Scottish population had the virus late last month and that means that for every confirmed case (499 cases on March 23rd), there are almost 70 unconfirmed cases. Probably a bit on the optimisitc side but I'd say that's pretty good news. Could make a huge difference even if the ratio is more like 20:1.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

American Journalism is same as Indian Journalism just bunch of corporate sellouts. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

To Americans yes

But to people outside America, American journalism is very low quality on avg compared to the BBC or CBC these days.

Overall I'd agree. Many American "news" outlets are just extensions of corporations. Fox News is Rupert Murdoch's play thing, so treat it like you would The Sun in the UK.

That said, this problem exists in most places. It is maybe just a little bit worse in America because with more capitalism comes more selling to the highest bidder.

Also, there are good journalists in the US. You just have to seek them out on an individual basis.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

An analysis of antibodies in blood samples was done in Scotland and it shows that 0.6% of the Scottish population had the virus late last month and that means that for every confirmed case (499 cases on March 23rd), there are almost 70 unconfirmed cases. Probably a bit on the optimisitc side but I'd say that's pretty good news. Could make a huge difference even if the ratio is more like 20:1.

Numbers are so low and from a non random test (if there is a difference between the sub population that give blood vs the general population, I imagine that is the case) that it is hard to project from this (just 2 more or less change that 0.6% figure a lot)

Chance to give blood then to differ geographically, level of education, age,  employment level, immigration status get much higher for people that live in sector that have a lot of people working in health related jobs and even more if they are an health worker themselves.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

As a person who works at a Bank in Canada, that must have been a mistake of process then the bank really wanting to foreclose on them.

Cause it costs a lot of money legally to foreclose on someone. 

Now having worked on debt collection side at a bank, there is a lot of automated systems where people have no money and owed funds and once funds go in the banks will take. So it will be up to the bank to make a choice.

Here in Canada people are getting 2000 dollars a month but the banks are then expecting people to pay min payments on debts then. 

For example, the banks are deferring peoples mortgages for people in tough situations for 6 months but you still are charged interest on the mortgage and its added on as principal.

There was a big uproar about it but then the bank was like well you still have a debt to pay. 

Canada isn't the US.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

Almost all american media is a joke. Here in Romania, most of the media is still doing actual journalism, presenting the news stories in an objective manner, without trying to spin them or frame them to serve their political bias. In the US media the bias is so obvious, the left-wing media are basically cheerleaders for the democrats and the right-wing media are cheerleaders for the republicans.

"The media of Romania refers to mass media outlets based in Romania. Television, magazines, and newspapers are all operated by both state-owned and for-profit corporations..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_Romania

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PDC1987 said:

Canada isn't the US.

True but I mean the 27 cent foreclosure issue must have been a mistake because the paper of the foreclosure would be more then 27 cents lol .

15 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

True but I mean the 27 cent foreclosure issue must have been a mistake because the paper of the foreclosure would be more then 27 cents lol .

It was very long and complicated affair of loan/insurance/reverse mortgage on a house, but I imagine that it was not paperwork attempting to gain the 27 cent, but to gain an house that had an higher value than that, claiming that the old lady did not follow a list of procedure that make you keep your house during a reverse mortgage type of deal.

That type of stuff only happen after 4-5 year's of legal battle with people having their face way too close of the situation.

Edited by Barnack

49 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Overall I'd agree. Many American "news" outlets are just extensions of corporations. Fox News is Rupert Murdoch's play thing, so treat it like you would The Sun in the UK.

That said, this problem exists in most places. It is maybe just a little bit worse in America because with more capitalism comes more selling to the highest bidder.

Also, there are good journalists in the US. You just have to seek them out on an individual basis.

Have to 100% completely agree with this. It's not really just the US either, but generally I find that yes, there are some wonderful journalists out there, but no many people are just concerned with getting clicks that themajority of "news" is trash fluff

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, AndyK said:

It's an opinion piece. That stand out to me. Without any evidence presented beyond anonymous sources (unpublished cables), I can't fully embrace it.

That said, the author makes a compelling case. The question of how the virus jumped species (assuming it originated in bats) is important to answer. This is something I'll be following closely to see if there is any further development.