google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

3 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

I speak Trump.  I'll interpret.

Trump will wait until the states decide what to do.  Then he'll announce it at his rally  press conference.  Weeks later he'll take credit for the states that did it correct and blame the states have have spikes.

A lot like how he banned flights AFTER the 3 top american airlines canceled the routes.

Here's what I could see.  Trump loves attention.  Craves it like little else.  What I could see is a huge press conference with a bunch of governors who ahead of time decided to go along with this (either because of pressure or grandstanding or opportunism [or even agreeing that they think the time is right]).  He'll then make it a YUGE spectacle and claim credit for getting this done.

As long as he thinks he can get more than 10 governors up on a stage, I think he'll go for it,  It's right in his wheelhouse for how he sees himself.

Can he get 10 or 15 or more (red state) governors on a stage for an Open For Business press conference?

Y'all tell me.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Here's what I could see.  Trump loves attention.  Craves it like little else.  What I could see is a huge press conference with a bunch of governors who ahead of time decided to go along with this (either because of pressure or grandstanding or opportunism [or even agreeing that they think the time is right]).  He'll then make it a YUGE spectacle and claim credit for getting this done.

As long as he thinks he can get more than 10 governors up on a stage, I think he'll go for it,  It's right in his wheelhouse for how he sees himself.

Can he get 10 or 15 or more (red state) governors on a stage for an Open For Business press conference?

Y'all tell me.

There's 2 weeks between now and May 1, might as well be 2 years for the amount of stuff that can happen

• Like 2

I mean, I could easily see Trump announcing May 1 with great fanfare a few days from now, only to abruptly bail on it two weeks from now, while claiming he was never in favor.  

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, grim22 said:

There's 2 weeks between now and May 1, might as well be 2 years for the amount of stuff that can happen

Absolutely agreed.  It's why I said "could see" rather than "will see".  Might be enough pressure put on Trump that he does something else.  Consistency of policy is not exactly his strong suit (with some unfortunate exceptions).

Then again, I do think he's chafing at the bit more and more.  And sooner or later, I think that bridle will break.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Luckily that will only happen in the states where the Governor's are stupid enough to follow Trump's orders.

Those are also some of the states that are *the least* prepared to handle an epidemic!!!!  We can't just be like "Oh, I live in [so and so], so my governor's gonna protect me, eff the folks in [so and so]."

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Be fair Cap, what's the worst that can happen.

giphy.gif

(apologies for the gallows humor, but that's one of my coping measures. :ph34r:)

(My coping measure is posting Cap gifs.)

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It’s the beginning of May so it also seems like a good time for that military parade to go with the big opening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean, I could easily see Trump announcing May 1 with great fanfare a few days from now, only to abruptly bail on it two weeks from now, while claiming he was never in favor.  

This is exactly what he will do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is exactly what he will do. 

That's what he did weeks ago with his Easter nonsense. That's what he did back in February, saying the heat would take care of this is in April.

The light at the end of the tunnel is always weeks away, just dangling in front of his crowd like a shiny dog toy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Killimano3 said:

Im sick of all the "it was created in a lab" and "China was studying bats!" nonsense.

Viruses have evolved and spread and jumped from species ALL THE TIME throughout human history. Why does it have to be intentional this one time?

Even if China had a lab studying bat coronaviruses it is almost surely a coincidence. For one it's not even confirmed that covid19 DID come from bats.

How do you know the virus did definitely not come from a lab if you dont even investigate it?

Do you know that someone in China was trying to 'reprogram' human babies in lab? https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/30/business/china-scientist-genetic-baby-prison.html

Never heard of the concentration camps in Xinjiang?

The world may not be as sunny and innocent as you see it, especially in places you dont know well.

If we do not make clear the real origin of the virus, a coronavirus pandemic could hit the world every a few years.

Edited by A Marvel Fanboy
  • Not Cool 2

41 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

“I think people haven’t understood that this isn’t about the next couple of weeks,” said Michael Osterholm, an infectious-disease epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota. “This is about the next two years.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-summer-coronavirus-reopening-back-normal/609940/

"When restrictions relax, as they are set to do on April 30, the coronavirus will likely surge back, as it is now doing in Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and other Asian states that had briefly restrained it. "

lol every shitty European country and the US wish they had a "surge" of like +2 deaths. 😓

China and South Korea managed their (regional) lockdown so carefully, in the West it's: numbers are down a bit after 4 weeks, time to reopen bars and schools!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

How do you know the virus did definitely not come from a lab if you dont even investigate it?

Do you know that someone in China was trying to 'reprogram' human babies in lab? https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/30/business/china-scientist-genetic-baby-prison.html

Never heard of the concentration camps in Xinjiang?

The world may not be as sunny and innocent as you see it, especially in places you dont know well.

If we do not make clear the real origin of the virus, a coronavirus pandemic could hit the world every a few years.

... You offered no counter evidence to his comment.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

Even if this was a lab accident gone horribly wrong (which I do not believe for the record as natural transmission is easy enough) I don't see how the conclusion follows from the premise.

Unless you are suggesting obliquely that "some group" is going to have lab "accidents" every few years.

---

And if you are intimating this was intentionally released... Well I believe the saying goes something like "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

WTF

It's a talking point that keeps bubbling up.  Remember the Lt. Gov from Texas?

The thing this all ignores is that even if the economy is "turned back on" there's no guarantee people will feel safe enough to actually engage with the economy, never mind go back to work.

====

To expand on that, I've heard people blithely say "oh, it'll only be something like 10 or 15 percent fewer people going to the movies" to pick a subject close to our hearts.  

Given the razor-thin margins some businesses run on, what would a 15 percent loss of sales look like to the bottom line of various theater chains?  Especially the smaller ones?  Even if they survive, they'd still lay off people due to less economic demand.

We can certainly have a recession/depression from being social distancing for long.  But we can also be in a recession/depression if enough consumers decide to curtail their economic habits coz they feel unsafe.  People not engaging with the economy for whatever reason is a classical cause for a recession/depression after all.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

They are investigating it.

Initially they do it by tracing the movements of everyone infected to find commonality.  Later they track the mutated strains to determine how it spread.

If COVID-19's case... there was a huge outbreak of pneumonia in Wuhan.  Before they even knew it was coronavirus  that found that over 2/3s of the cases were related to a specific fish market.  Samples taken from the fish market later tested positive for COVID-19.  

The fact that there is a lab in Wuhan studying the coronavirus is not really relevant.  There are labs all over the world studying it because it has been believed for years that the next pandemic would be SARS/Coronavirus related.

It is also unfortunately common for labs worldwide to at times have safety violations.  

So while possible the virus was accidentally spread from a lab it is unlikely.  It would actually be less embarrassing for China if that was the case so they have no real reason to cover it up if true.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

WTF

I was wondering how long after Dan Patrick went on TV basically saying "our grandparents will die of COVID-19 if it means helping the economy" until another idiot would emerge to join him. Like we need more proof what an immoral joke these people are.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was wondering how long after Dan Patrick went on TV basically saying "our grandparents will die of COVID-19 if it means helping the economy" until another idiot would emerge to join him. Like we need more proof what an immoral joke these people are.

Just because I intentionally don't post every "cure is worse than the disease" idiot very fine person, doesn't mean they aren't saying it on a regular basis. :ph34r:

(as it is, various politicians have been saying this every few days)

• Like 1

About going bat-sh.... crazy at home (I think the member’s name is FilmBuff?), he/she mentioned to work in a laboratory doing testing

Its known that people who have to go through a longer lasting live-threatening under avoidable circumstances (like not living in an earthquake hit region,..., someone who works in a laboratory could change professions, is usually not trained in coping mechanisms....) need coping mechanism. What kinds is very different. 

So needing a pressure valve can make itself known per e.g. like ranting about missing free time, it can a sign of needing something urgently to decompress 

Maybe not a lot of the average people are aware or know how to handle that or how to react to someone who does show signs?

It could develop to PTSD or so. Here we have automatically support for e.g. firefighters after a bad time, does something like that exist for the ‘behind-the-scene’ workers too, if it even exists in the US?

Whoever is in similar situation, do not underestimate the long-term impact, maybe read through some tips for emergency workers / rescuers and seek a few hours of therapy for getting advice for how to decompress and so on

Every human has another mix of experience, other upbringing, every human reacts in a bit or totally another way

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1