google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I feel very much the same. Up until now, my quarantine life hasnt really been that different from my normal life, which i know its maybe a bit sad, but im just not so good at interacting and generally talking to people if that makes sense. My university is also working hard to ensure all courses in the new semester are online. Me and my family also have a very good relationship and nobody gets on the nerve on the others till now so the situation for us isnt that concerning.

But i know ofc that tens of millions of people around the world have it much much worse. Especially in poorer countries where people often have to work to ensure their familys have enough food.

For me its given me great perspective. I literally quit my job at the worst possible time (march 20th) and my employer who was already closed onboarded me remote. I'm lucky to have a job much less full time. My wife while in the medical field has had limited exposure and zero cuts to even bonus and benefits and such. I imagine her bonuses will be cut soon, perhaps mine as well and she may be forced to use her vacation. Even if so still super lucky and I hope this ends soon for the many who are not. 

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

I will admit, like @AndyK mentioned, I am somewhat lucky in this quarantine situation that I do enjoy my own company. Yea, I like seeing friends from time to time, but my social battery always drained incredibly quickly, and I have had problems with social anxiety in the past. I'm not saying a quarantine is HELPING my situation, but being who I am, it has made it easier for me to be on my own for these few weeks (and presumably the next few months).

My heart does go out however for people who are not in the same situation, who are in bad home environments, and who are feeling depressed and/or anxious due to the current social situations. 

The issue is there in inequality in people locking down.

People who are comfortable or can work from home are pretty much enjoying an extended stay at home vacation making IG stories and Tik Toc Videos playing music. 

Others are stuck with abusive spouses or dysfunctional families inside all day. 

Others are seeing their personal, career and business plans go up in smoke and having the trajectory of their life drastically change. 

Others are people who are pretty much living in a self imposed lockdown for months on end and falling into depression and loneliness.

It is all necessary but we must respect that the lockdown is effecting people in radical ways. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is there in inequality in people locking down.

People who are comfortable or can work from home are pretty much enjoying an extended stay at home vacation making IG stories and Tik Toc Videos playing music. 

Others are stuck with abusive spouses or dysfunctional families inside all day. 

Others are seeing their personal, career and business plans go up in smoke and having the trajectory of their life drastically change. 

Others are people who are pretty much living in a self imposed lockdown for months on end and falling into depression and loneliness.

It is all necessary but we must respect that the lockdown is effecting people in radical ways. 

I would say that goes on all fronts. Some people think it's ridiculous that one would be going nuts cooped up all day everyday at home. Others can't imagine being so scared about getting the virus perhaps because they aren't immunocompromised or have high exposure.

• Like 4

Here where I live they just recently announced the cancellation of a big local event that was set to take place early July. I would've thought this would come as no surprise to anyone as the timeline continues being stretched further and affects things way down the line.

The outrage here however he was HUGE. apparently 90% of the people here were operating under the assumption that this would for sure be over by summer and that they had to only begrudgingly accept it until may at the latest 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

UK death toll today from hospitals = 761.

Not the usual increase after the weekend we have seen previously.

Hopefully we are over the peak.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Here where I live they just recently announced the cancellation of a big local event that was set to take place early July. I would've thought this would come as no surprise to anyone as the timeline continues being stretched further and affects things way down the line.

The outrage here however he was HUGE. apparently 90% of the people here were operating under the assumption that this would for sure be over by summer and that they had to only begrudgingly accept it until may at the latest 

Boy, those people probably aren't going to be happy when the big local events in fall, winter, and next spring get cancelled :sparta:

My san fran event was pushed from March to July. Guaranteed it will be delayed. Not even booking flights or hotels. Not gonna happen

Here in Austria, the highest two football leagues might be continued (might, as in, there is a lot of work yet to be done and a modus operandi found, with e.g. test for every player and trainer every week), but only for TV of course

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Norway has 6740 cases and 145 deaths

Sweden has 11927 cases and 1203 deaths

Sweden's plan is a massive failure. 

This is why the Swedish state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell remains calm: he is not seeing the kind of rapid increase that might threaten to overwhelm the Swedish health service, and unlike policymakers in the UK, he has been entirely consistent that that is his main objective.

At first that was also the stated objective of the UK lockdown — to “buy time for the NHS” and prevent it being overrun. But with the 4,000-bed Nightingale hospital still lying near-empty, not a single hospital so far reporting as being overwhelmed, that objective is apparently being met.

But it is no longer clear what the goal is, other than to ‘get past the peak’; so, worryingly, there is now no obvious metric on which to make decisions about lifting the UK lockdown.

Comparing Sweden with other countries produces a mixed picture: it shows that very early, very extreme lockdowns in smaller countries such as Denmark can be effective in arresting the virus completely. If numbers of deaths are the only measure of success, Denmark is “doing better” than Sweden here. By this measure, which many British commentators seem to consider the most important metric, the sign of good government simply becomes who can impose the strictest lockdown and reduce the number of Covid deaths closest to zero for as long as possible — but there is no sense in this discussion of a viable long term policy looks like, or what the trade offs or secondary effects might be.

Anders Tegnell explicitly worries that the Denmark lockdown has been too effective, and that they will struggle to find a way out of it. The moment they start releasing the lockdown measures, there could be a panic as cases start rising again. Modelling released by the Danish government factors in an increase in transmission, and therefore cases, and therefore deaths, when they bring schools back after Easter. But they are still going ahead and there aren’t headlines of ‘blood on their hands’ because of it.

https://unherd.com/2020/04/jury-still-out-on-swedish-coronavirus-strategy/

Here they are actually conferring, press ‚heard‘ all big events will be out till the end of August.

They also said something about not ruling for the whole nation to have to have to wear mask, but ‚urgently advising‘ it.

How they will handle the school situation seems also still discussed (heatedly!)

Stores up to 800m (square, can‘t find the sign on this virtual keyboard) look like to be allowed to reopen first.

Edited by terrestrial

7 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

As to Sweden, they walk a very fine line, let's hope they don't overshoot. Their daily deaths are in the region of UK and Italy per capita, as shown im this graph:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/new-covid-deaths-per-million?tab=chart&time=2020-02-23..&country=AUT+ITA+SWE+USA+GBR+ESP

Austria’s and Germany‘s officials seemingly both do not like to report during public holidays 🤪

🔴 #Coronavirus, national update at 18
• Current cases: 105.418 (+1.127, + 1.1%)
• Deceased: 21,645 (+578, + 2.7%)
• Discharged / Healed: 38,092 (+962, + 2.6%)
• Intensive Care Hospital: 3,079 (-107, -3.4%)
Total cases: 165,155 (+2,667, + 1.6%)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

As to Sweden, they walk a very fine line, let's hope they don't overshoot. Their daily deaths are in the region of UK and Italy per capita, as shown im this graph:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/new-covid-deaths-per-million?tab=chart&time=2020-02-23..&country=AUT+ITA+SWE+USA+GBR+ESP

The idea is to flatten the curve.

People should realise the area under the curve remains the same.

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Not necessarily it seem to me that now that social distancing seem to work that many country are wanting to do more than flatten the 30% to almost everyone get it curve over many months instead of few months, but to aim to have less people than that get it before a good vaccine or really good treatment arrive.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AndyK said:

at the moment when the health ssystem gets overwhelmed, that's nor true any longer.

And I suspect it's not even true otherwise ... as with many viral diseases, ist seems to depend on the "viral load" if you get infected, and if yes, how badly you get it. With a lot of infected at the same time (without "flattening"), the general viral load in any room will be higher than with few infected at the same time. One of the main problems until now has been the high infection rate among doctors and nurses; it makes a difference if you treat 5 or 10 infected victims at the same station. It makes maybe all the difference if you treat 5 or 50.

So no. I don't believe the area under the curve remains the same where it concerns a critical course of the infection.

• Like 4

I wonder how many times throughout human history a deadly disease has mutated with the capability of being a dangerous pandemic, only to die out before being able to infect more than a host or two by sheer coincidence. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I wonder how many times throughout human history a deadly disease has mutated with the capability of being a dangerous pandemic, only to die out before being able to infect more than a host or two by sheer coincidence. 

Not exactly the same thing, but Richard Preston’s non-fiction “The Hot Zone” is about something similar: when a strain of Ebola mutated to become airborne and managed to break containment at USAMRIID. Humanity was saved a terrible tragedy when the mutation also made it non-effective against humans. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

: when a strain of Ebola mutated to become airborne and managed to break containment at USAMRIID. Humanity was saved a terrible tragedy when the mutation also made it non-effective against humans. 

Outbreak lied to me?!?? Shocked!

• Haha 3