google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Italy new cases is slowly starting to decrease.

Edited by Maggie

Well Sweden is not like Norway and Finland and Denmark anymore. 

I mean Scandinavian countries are well respected and known for having good policies.

However Sweden's immigration  and refugee policies have ended up as a huge mess compared to its neighbours and they have had to reverse course and it seems the pandemic plan has become the same. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

10 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Not exactly the same thing, but Richard Preston’s non-fiction “The Hot Zone” is about something similar: when a strain of Ebola mutated to become airborne and managed to break containment at USAMRIID. Humanity was saved a terrible tragedy when the mutation also made it non-effective against humans. 

Ebola Reston is some scary shit. I believe it's the most lethal of all the known Ebola strains, and it miraculously was only a health threat to monkeys

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Ebola Reston is some scary shit. I believe it's the most lethal of all the known Ebola strains, and it miraculously was only a health threat to monkeys

Yuuuuup, it was some scary stuff, reading that. 

40 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

...what?

This traffic jam brought to you by the DeVos family. They funded the organizers of the protest. They have got to be the dumbest people. There's a reason why Trump gets along with them, though. They share a lot in common. Stupid? check. Rips off the public? check. The DeVos family made their fortune through the pyramid scam that is / was Amway.

My question is, where are the police? I know all about protests, I participate in them quite often. Everyone who is familiar with protesting knows the biggest rule is never block traffic, even if it is just a sidewalk. So what we're seeing right here is not only stupid, it is a prime example of racial and class disparity.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Rhinovirus C AKA the common cold is a death sentence for chimpanzees.

7 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Everyone who is familiar with protesting knows the biggest rule is never block traffic, even if it is just a sidewalk. 

Isn't marching in the street during a manifestation rather common, in Canada it really is.

-4fdf0a01b7fd8f2c.JPG

In Michigan:

https://www.aclumich.org/sites/default/files/field_documents/knowyourrights_demonstrations_and_protests.pdf

Do I need a permit before I engage in free speech activity? Not usually.

However, certain events may require a permit, depending on the size and location of the event, including:

 A march or parade that does not stay on the sidewalk, and other events that require blocking traffic or closing streets;

 A large rally requiring the use of sound amplifying devices; or

 A large rally at certain designated parks or plazas that require permits.

Clearly say that you can, if you ask and get a permit, because it is a bit strange but occupying space for a protest reason is often considered as a form of speech and quite protected in the US.

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Isn't marching in the street during a manifestation rather common, in Canada it really is.

-4fdf0a01b7fd8f2c.JPG

In Michigan:

https://www.aclumich.org/sites/default/files/field_documents/knowyourrights_demonstrations_and_protests.pdf

However, certain events may require a permit, depending on the size and location of the event, including:

 A march or parade that does not stay on the sidewalk, and other events that require blocking traffic or closing streets;

Clearly say that you can, if you ask and get a permit, because it is a bit strange but occupying space for a protest reason is often considered as a form of speech and quite protected in the US.

They key here is getting a permit. I guarantee you that a permit was not pulled for the protest today, nor would one have been granted. Protesters are not given permits to block sidewalks or traffic unless there are circumstances that warrant it. In all my years of protesting, never once have I been a part of one that had such a permit. It is highly unusual.

• Like 1

Thousands of Americans would be alive today if President Trump had spent more time listening to the World Health Organization instead of trying to destroy it.

Trump’s announcement that he will halt American funding for the W.H.O. just as the world is facing a raging pandemic is a dangerous attempt to find a scapegoat for his own failings. It is like taking away a fire department’s trucks in the middle of a blaze.

Many Americans know nothing about the W.H.O., but its worldwide budget (of which the United States pays about one-fifth) is less than that of some American hospital centers. Yet it is charged with fighting Ebola and polio, saving children’s lives and keeping the world safe from pandemics like this one.

Trump says that he is cutting the funds while his administration reviews the W.H.O.’s handling of the coronavirus. His own pandemic preparedness plan, which he characteristically has failed to implement, called for building support for the W.H.O. — because it’s a critical player to keep Americans safe.

Yes, some of the complaints about the W.H.O. are valid, and I’ve made them myself. It has been too cozy with China, it made some wrong calls on the coronavirus early on (such as doubting on Jan. 14 that there was human-to-human transmission), and it should stop blocking participation by Taiwan. But it has still managed the coronavirus crisis far better than the Trump administration.

The W.H.O. tweeted its first warning about the coronavirus as early as Jan. 4 and then rang alarm bells, culminating at the end of that month when it declared a “public health emergency of international concern.” It developed an effective diagnostic test for the coronavirus that is used in dozens of countries worldwide, while the United States still cannot manage adequate testing.

In late January and February, the W.H.O. issued increasingly urgent warnings about the coronavirus. Trump ignored them, instead insisting that it was “totally under control,” predicted the number of infections would drop, declared that “it’s going to disappear” and consistently downplayed the virus while talking up the stock market.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, doublejack said:

They key here is getting a permit. I guarantee you that a permit was not pulled for the protest today, nor would one have been granted. Protesters are not given permits to block sidewalks or traffic unless there are circumstances that warrant it

The situation is quite unusual.

. In all my years of protesting, never once have I been a part of one that had such a permit. It is highly unusual.

Look at earth days, woman, big black live matter, farmers, gun rights, etc... march pictures, they will be quite often be in a street:

NZbBGybiVkG_7iwjX_CeRQ

ap_889054630559_wide-886230f589e73f7aa0d

march-for-our-lives-01-as-gty-180406_hpE

The minute a protest is a big one, it become hard for it to not impact in any way traffic, is it really unusual ?, I would say that in Canada it is maybe even the majority of them that occur in a street, exception being students type/anti-cops manifestation that do not ask for a permit and do not want to give an itinerary in advance, but well financed affair with lawyer on the payroll...?

Also I imagine a grid lock must be caused by cars not respecting traffic rule to be illegal, not just because there is many of them in the street driving somewhat regularly.

"Herd immunity" strategists are going to get a body count high enough to be considered a crime against humanity. I really wonder how so many European and American doctors are so incompetent/evil, it doesn't seem they ever viewed actually stopping the pandemic as part of their job. "Mitigating" with "immunity" by infecting almost everyone was their preferred response - and still is in most Western countries even if they won't admit it (see all the countries reopening shops and schools when the contagion is nowhere near contained).

Sweden has passed the grim milestone of 1,200 coronavirus deaths, far exceeding the tolls of its nearest neighbours, but suggested it may be nearing the outbreak’s peak as scientists continue to question the government’s light-touch approach.

The Public Health Agency announced a death toll of 1,203 people from Covid-19 on Wednesday, a rate of 118 per million inhabitants, compared with 55 in Denmark and just 13 in Finland, both of which imposed strict early lockdowns to curb the virus’s spread.

The government’s refusal to close primary and junior high schools – and authorities’ insistence that only children who are themselves ill may stay at home – has caused some families and teachers particular concern, staff and parent groups have said.

Healthy students who have been kept out of school by anxious parents have been threatened with referral to social services, while concerned families and school staff have written open letters describing the government’s policy as “unacceptable” and arguing that it is “risking the lives of children, relatives and staff”.

Anders Tegnell, the country’s chief epidemiologist, has described the Swedish approach as an attempt to ensure “a slow spread of infection and that the health services are not overwhelmed”, arguing that it is important for a part of the population to acquire immunity.

Tegnell has denied trying to build rapid “herd immunity” to the virus, a strategy originally considered by the UK and the Netherlands before soaring projected death rates prompted those countries to change course.

The chief epidemiologist has repeatedly stressed that the world is in uncharted territory with the coronavirus, arguing that while Sweden might have more infections in the short term, it will not face the risk of a huge infection increase that many other countries might face once their strict lockdowns are lifted.

I also have no idea why the chief epidemiologist/coronavirus enthusiast thinks they are near the peak. The death toll will continue to rise as long as they continue not doing anything meaningful.

• Like 2

The timeline is far more damning to Trump

By Jan. 23, the WHO was already warning that coronavirus could “appear in any country,” and urged all countries to be “prepared for containment” and get ready to exercise “isolation” and “prevention” measures against its spread.

At around the same time, on Jan. 22, Trump was asked point-blank whether he worried about coronavirus’s spread, and he answered: “No, not at all,” insisting it was just “one person coming from China” and that “we have it totally under control.”

And on Jan. 24, Trump hailed China’s “effort” against coronavirus and its “transparency” about it, predicting that “it will all work out well.”

So Trump showed less concern about its spread in countries outside China — including in our own — than the WHO did.

On Jan. 30, the WHO declared coronavirus a global public health emergency. While WHO was still too credulous toward China’s response, WHO also warned that all countries must review “preparedness plans” and take seriously what was coming.

By contrast, on Jan. 30, Trump was directly warned by his Health and Human Services secretary of the threat coronavirus posed. Trump dismissed this as “alarmist.”

And on Feb. 2, Trump boasted to Sean Hannity: “We pretty much shut it down, coming in from China.” He hailed our “tremendous relationship” with that country. Trump continued praising China’s handling of coronavirus all through the entire month of February.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Nearly forgot to mention:

The WHO Budget is always for two years, just in case someone thinks that amount is for one year

41 minutes ago, Barnack said:

-4fdf0a01b7fd8f2c.JPG

In Michigan:

I’m saying protesting this particular thing at this particular time is the height of dumbassery, particularly when your state is among the hardest hit so far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

The situation is quite unusual.

Look at earth days, woman, big black live matter, farmers, gun rights, etc... march pictures, they will be quite often be in a street:

NZbBGybiVkG_7iwjX_CeRQ

ap_889054630559_wide-886230f589e73f7aa0d

march-for-our-lives-01-as-gty-180406_hpE

The minute a protest is a big one, it become hard for it to not impact in any way traffic, is it really unusual ?, I would say that in Canada it is maybe even the majority of them that occur in a street, exception being students type/anti-cops manifestation that do not ask for a permit and do not want to give an itinerary in advance, but well financed affair with lawyer on the payroll...?

Also I imagine a grid lock must be caused by cars not respecting traffic rule to be illegal, not just because there is many of them in the street driving somewhat regularly.

I repeat, where  are the F##KING COPS? If this was a BLM rally, don't think for a minute that police wouldn't show up... in full riot gear. F##k this country.

-edit

Racial inequality is a hot button issue with me, which is why I got so upset by this. I have seen protesters sprayed with pepper spray and arrested for MUCH less than what happened today in Lansing. Couple that with the fact that I feel like I'm living Idiocracy and haven't felt an ounce of patriotism since November 2016... and well that sums up why I wrote what I did.

Edited by doublejack
lowering the rating
  • Like 3

Interesting...

Dr. Fauci has, well I won't say "given seal of approval to" the idea of baseball returning without fans in an isolated/quarantined environment but instead suggested it is in fact a way to bring it back:

I just have a couple of more lifestyle questions, then I’ll let you go. People are still holding out hope for some kind of abbreviated baseball season this summer, college football will start in late August. NFL right after that. Do you think those sports seasons are in jeopardy? Are we going to have college football this fall?

You know, to be honest with you, Peter, I don’t know. I really don’t. And it’s sort of along the same line as the question you asked about the schools. It’s really going to depend on what actually evolves over the next couple of months. You know, regarding sports, I believe, and I think this is going to be implemented by the initiation and the initiative of the people who own these clubs. If you could get on television, Major League Baseball, to start July 4. Let’s say, nobody comes to the stadium. You just, you do it. I mean people say, “Well you can’t play without spectators.” Well, I think you’d probably get enough buy-in from people who are dying to see a baseball game. Particularly me. I’m living in Washington. We have the World Champion Washington Nationals. You know, I want to see them play again. But there’s a way of doing that because there have been some proposals both at the level of the NFL, Major League Baseball, National Hockey League, to get these people tested, and to put them in big hotels, you know, wherever you want to play. Keep them very well surveilled, namely a surveillance, but have them tested, like every week. By a gazillion tests. And make sure they don’t wind up infecting each other or their family. And just let them play the season out. I mean, that’s a really artificial way to do it, but when you think about it, it might be better than nothing.

Yeah, the TV ratings would be through the roof.

Oh, for sure.

Part of a wide ranging must-read interview that covers over a dozen topics.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

"Herd immunity" strategists are going to get a body count high enough to be considered a crime against humanity. I really wonder how so many European and American doctors are so incompetent/evil, it doesn't seem they ever viewed actually stopping the pandemic as part of their job. "Mitigating" with "immunity" by infecting almost everyone was their preferred response - and still is in most Western countries even if they won't admit it (see all the countries reopening shops and schools when the contagion is nowhere near contained).

I also have no idea why the chief epidemiologist/coronavirus enthusiast thinks they are near the peak. The death toll will continue to rise as long as they continue not doing anything meaningful.

While I understand the sentiment....would you have shut the USA down 2 years ago to stop those 61,000 dying from the flu?