DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 hour ago, Lion Roar said:

It's not up to him. It's up to the different states alliances that have already formed. NY is not reopening on May 1 for sure. Cuomo already extended shutdown until May 15. 

Of course not. He's a wannabe dictator and human scum. New York will one of the last states to open.

Florida will be stupid and open early. 

• Not Cool 1

If you haven't seen it, here is the document on re-opening.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/politics/read-guidelines-for-opening-america/index.html

Couple of thoughts. 1st, I don't think there is a state today that would meet the requirements to re-open.

Second, I don't think there are likely to be any states that actually meet the requirements on May 1 - but I think a few will start to open anyways.

Third, in relation to this board the document says movie theaters can open in phase 2 under moderate physical distancing protocols. 

As others have mentioned Trump as usual caved (without looking like he caved). The 50 states determine when they reach a phase and exactly what that means. There is no official timeline. I Wish I could say someone showed the President a copy of the Constitution and explained to him the 10th Amendment (which reserves powers not specifically given to the Federal Government to the states) and the Interstate Commerce Clause (which reserves that power for the Legislative Branch unless it votes to give that authority to the Executive in an Emergency). 

I actually doubt any state will meet the testing requirement mentioned though i don't think that will stop a handful of them from starting to re-open anyways.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Many will reopen May 1st. Pressure will be massive. Most states will be open by the week after like I said. Coalitions help, of course each will do whats best and it will open in phases. People acted like I was insane for suggesting May 1st would be the push. I think several will wait at least 1-2 weeks longer. Virginia will never wait till June.

There is zilch in testing to suggest May 1 will be viable for most states. A handful will open because they actually have conditions where it makes since, and a some unknown amount more will open because they're stupid, don't understand the science, and get a bunch of people killed without even helping the economy much. You seem to be rooting for the 2nd group to be large. I'm rooting that it will be small.  

Don't think Western states alliance, Northeast, or Midwest will open then. Between those 3 is a huge chunk of the population.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

There is zilch in testing to suggest May 1 will be viable for most states. A handful will open because they actually have conditions where it makes since, and a some unknown amount more will open because they're stupid, don't understand the science, and get a bunch of people killed without even helping the economy much. You seem to be rooting for the 2nd group to be large. I'm rooting that it will be small.  

Don't think Western states alliance, Northeast, or Midwest will open then. Between those 3 is a huge chunk of the population.

Midwest will wait less imo than the other 2. By may 15th most will be open

Of course it's stupid.

New York should wait till June.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

I will be pissed if Florida opens. I expect to be pissed

The year is 2020. The world economy has been destroyed by a deadly pandemic. In the former United States of America, tensions are growing between the Western States Pact and the Multi-State Council...

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 1

*sees chyrons blaring on Tucker Carlson's show on Fox News*

Got a feeling the mods will have their work cut out for them over the next 24 hours. :gold:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

:hahaha:

Edited by Jason
  • Like 5
  • Haha 15
  • Not Cool 1

We will know if Colorado is going to reopen soon on Monday.  I expect it to remain closed.  I am an essential employee though and am getting better every day, and back to work next week.

• Like 3

My wife has cabin fever real bad, been off since March 11th. she’s ready to get Back to work. 

• Sad 1

Here in Hawaii things are steady, still under 600 total cases and only 9 total deaths.  11 new cases yesterday and no new deaths.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think in any states that are locked down after may 1 the residents in those states should get a basic income.

Unlike europe and like Canada the US does not have a social safety net for people to stay at home for months.

Like my fiance is getting 2000 dollars a month, she will be more then fine.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

tests.png

Venezuela is interestingly the leading nation in the world in terms of tests per case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, HeatSeeker said:

Here in Hawaii things are steady, still under 600 total cases and only 9 total deaths.  11 new cases yesterday and no new deaths.

Hawaii can join the Australia/New Zealand international travel bubble. 

• Haha 1

“I just thought, Oh, crap, the ukulele concert is going to be canceled.”

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I will be pissed if Florida opens. I expect to be pissed

The state that deemed WWE an “essential service”? I’m surprised they’re not open already...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Assumption said:

tests.png

Venezuela is interestingly the leading nation in the world in terms of tests per case.

I'm pretty sure this is not true.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Assumption said:

Well I just pulled the data from Worldometers here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries, then took the total tests divide by total cases to get the tests per case. Not sure why it would not be true.

Worldometers depends on nations providing accurate data.

Do you think Venezuela of all nations is going to be reporting accurately? They don't even have the resources to combat an outbreak, if there is one there.

• Like 5