Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

New York at more than 1,000 deaths again today. Even if it's at it's peak right now, based on the slower descent in deaths from Spain and Italy we are looking at 10-20,000 deaths just there I think =/

I wonder if this is because of previous deaths being reported as probable COVID-19 deaths. NYC went from 3914 probable deaths yesterday to 4309 today. They don’t specify whether this increase was all in the past 24 hours or if some of these deaths are from other days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What support? They did nothing anyway so might as well not pay them.

I like you when it comes the box office, CJohn but this is just straight up disrespectful.

I've worked with a few doctors from WHO before and they're all hardworking, dedicated people. Some of them are literally risking their lives everyday to better the world.

So show a little respect and do some research of what they do everyday instead of judging them blindly.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

 Well if a plane crashes ...its makes sense to see why it crashed and to ensure it does not crash for the same reason.

 

I know this is a very controversial point but I think it's important.

 

And you can do that with diplomacy, not "You baddie, you've been naughty so I won't talk to you anymore". China won't be boycotted anyway, its market is just too huge for that and China tends to hit back in a brutal way..So let's be honest: it's all talks and no action from the UK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Brazilians in here?

 

Whats the political situation like at the moment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

And you can do that with diplomacy, not "You baddie, you've been naughty so I won't talk to you anymore". China won't be boycotted anyway, its market is just too huge for that and China tends to hit back in a brutal way..So let's be honest: it's all talks and no action from the UK.

Well my focus on the source isn't anything to do with establishing guilt.

 

It's out of self-interest of humanity to stop the source because the next virus could be more deadly and if something with a low death rate can destabilize Society so much imagine something with a 20 to 30% death 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Since I have lots of family in different places there...

 

In Florida, when April hits, about the only place cool and nice enough to get walks or exercise, if you don't have your own backyard pool (since community ones are closed), is the beach.  

 

Apparently, a lot of researchers are saying fully outdoor areas are unlikely to start outbreaks...and being outdoors and getting exercise/cardio/vitamin D and keeping weight down are crucial to maintaining health in the times of Covid.

 

So, while it's a bad look...I get it.  And restricting beach hours so no one is there from 11am-5pm should cut down on those there to "tan and party" and keep it to those there for exercise, sunshine, and fresh air...plus, giving out the social distance warnings, of which they apparently have given many, should also help...

 

Opening Florida beaches is not really that much different than the trails being open by me...the trails are just less "snapshot-able"...

 

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/florida/2020/04/17/north-florida-beaches-among-first-to-reopen-since-coronavirus-closures/

 

 

Edited by TwoMisfits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

By the way dudalb, we got harsh words against each other a few weeks ago, I hope we can forget about that. I'm not a fan of conflicts.

 

As for the Civil War let's hope it can be avoided..but it's true the 2 sides are so far from each other than any reconciliation seems impossible.

I'm going to say this as gently as I can.

 

Don't use posts in social media as a gauge of how Americans think about a subject.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Well my focus on the source isn't anything to do with establishing guilt.

 

It's out of self-interest of humanity to stop the source because the next virus could be more deadly and if something with a low death rate can destabilize Society so much imagine something with a 20 to 30% death rate.

 

Honestly, the problem s far bigger than China alone...the next virus could emerge from other countries too: African nations, India, Bangladesh, Vietnam...all countries without strict rules when it comes to health, wet markets, hunting..etc..

 

A real solution must be an international summit and potential financial help for the poorest countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm going to say this as gently as I can.

 

Don't use posts in social media as a gauge of how Americans think about a subject.

 

You seem angry!

 

tenor.gif?itemid=16038395

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fullbuster said:

 

You seem angry!

 

tenor.gif?itemid=16038395

 

That's angry? :lol:  

 

That's not even snarky. Little snippy, sure, but hardly angry.

 

====

 

Last polling I saw had over 80% support for Stay at Home measures.  That was a few days ago though, and in a rapidly changing environment, attitudes can change.  Especially if folks get signals from their partisan leaders.

 

On the other hand, I think the idea that the US is on an imminent course for massive civil disobedience is... more than a little overblown. 

 

By, like, a lot.

 

A few hundred yahoos in six or seven random cities does not a Civil War make.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

Honestly, the problem s far bigger than China alone...the next virus could emerge from other countries too: African nations, India, Bangladesh, Vietnam...all countries without strict rules when it comes to health, wet markets, hunting..etc..

 

A real solution must be an international summit and potential financial help for the poorest countries.

The issue is not wet markets

 

It's more exotic animals in wet markets.

 

 

Like you wont see bat sold beside chickens at a market in india. 😅

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

New York added a ton of deaths from before.  WSJ is likely adding those while worldometer is trying to add them where they occured.

 

Worldometer is really nice with the US, adding them when they occured...When it comes to France they don't care whether deaths at nursing homes happened on March 1st or April 8: they add them to the day they're revealed.

 

For example today France got 418 deaths in hospital but they put "761 deaths" instead because deaths that occured in some nursing homes between March 1st and April 17 have been revealed today. That's disgusting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Let’s get some lighter social distancing conversations going, post your latest Quarantine Photo:

 

Here is mine, living it up, 6 feet away

 

2f16d8eaa881672eadc6b454f329b45e.jpg

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That's angry? :lol:  

 

That's not even snarky. Little snippy, sure, but hardly angry.

 

====

 

Last polling I saw had over 80% support for Stay at Home measures.  That was a few days ago though, and in a rapidly changing environment, attitudes can change.  Especially if folks get signals from their partisan leaders.

 

On the other hand, I think the idea that the US is on an imminent course for massive civil disobedience is... more than a little overblown. 

 

By, like, a lot.

 

A few hundred yahoos in six or seven random cities does not a Civil War make.

 

I just wanted to tease you a bit aha xD

 

But yeah you're right, it's true social media and media as a whole tend to be like a magnifying glass: everything looks wirse than it seems.

Let's hope the hundreds of loonies will just be the only ones to go there.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That's angry? :lol:  

 

That's not even snarky. Little snippy, sure, but hardly angry.

 

====

 

Last polling I saw had over 80% support for Stay at Home measures.  That was a few days ago though, and in a rapidly changing environment, attitudes can change.  Especially if folks get signals from their partisan leaders.

 

On the other hand, I think the idea that the US is on an imminent course for massive civil disobedience is... more than a little overblown. 

 

By, like, a lot.

 

A few hundred yahoos in six or seven random cities does not a Civil War make.

To expand on this, and to repeat something I said recently on the US Presidential thread, what could happen is random acts of terrorism by lone wolves.   There's a good look here:

 

 

That is the problem with the tweets Trump is making (sending stochastic signals to lone wolves even if it's unintentional) as well as over-coverage by folks over at Fox News or more well meaning media outlets. 

 

By amplifying the noise these nuts are making, it makes it seem like they have far more support than they actually do.  And it increases the odds of some random nut taking out a gun and doing something horrific.

 

That being said, even random acts of terrorism (which is exactly what this would be) is a far far cry from Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo*.  Which was my basic point.

 

* Yes, that's a thing; read the article/tweet chain.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is not wet markets

 

It's more exotic animals in wet markets.

 

 

Like you wont see bat sold beside chickens at a market in india. 😅

 

It's true, however I heard some of the pangolins sold in these markets come from Africa so it's not completely unrelated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

 

It's true, however I heard some of the pangolins sold in these markets come from Africa so it's not completely unrelated.

Well didnt AIDS come from Bush meat from monkeys?

 

As we become more globalizedl, localized diseases from unsanitary practices are now becoming a global threat.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are the new cases in NY so low today on worldometer? A typo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

Worldometer is really nice with the US, adding them when they occured...When it comes to France they don't care whether deaths at nursing homes happened on March 1st or April 8: they add them to the day they're revealed.

 

For example today France got 418 deaths in hospital but they put "761 deaths" instead because deaths that occured in some nursing homes between March 1st and April 17 have been revealed today. That's disgusting...

How is it disgusting? Worldometer uses official statistics for every country.

 

Also:

Quote

NOTE: France reported that a portion of the EHPAD and EMS nursing home cases - representing about 33% of the total EHPAD and EMS cases - were confirmed (rather than probable, as the other 67%) and as such are to be considered as already included in the total national case count [source]. The French Government has now started reporting the breakdown between confirmed and probable EHPAD and EMS cases [source]. We have adjusted the historical data for France from April 4 based on this information. In accordance with the decision by the French Government to include EHPAD and EMS probable deaths in the total death count [source] [source] EHPAD and EMS probable cases must be included in the total case count in order to be logically sound (a death implies a case) and methodologically consistent. On April 3, the French Government had reported 17,827 additional cases and 532 additional deaths from nursing homes that had not been reported previously. On April 2, it had reported 884 additional deaths.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously many people on Twitter start to really piss me off.

 

They are the "flu crew" and the coronavirus doubters who were doubters from the beginning and kept being until now.

 

Whatever happens the events prove them they are correct and that everybody else who has a different opinion than them is a coronabro, fearmonger among other things.

 

In the beginning of the pandemic the argument was. "Everyone is panicking without a reason, the death count is very low, the flu has way more deaths, I doubt that there will be thousands of deaths."

 

The countries enforce lockdowns to prevent the spread, the deaths do not reach potential death count because of the measures and their argument is... "See? We locked down for what? The deaths are not that high and daily new cases keep dropping."

Also now that the overall death count argument is gone, there are new arguments. The death rate is way lower than presumed(citing scientist research that the actual cases of coronavirus are 50x-80x times more than actually reported) and that the countries need to open up asap.

 

I agree that a lockdown for a long period of time is not sustainable but to suggest to open up as we were before because of the economy is like a suicide to me.

 

Even if they take the Sweden approach which is absolute madness and failure is a very bad strategy. Even in Sweden there can be no events with more than 50 people.

 

I hope I'm wrong and the plan to open up again in the countries is done with some logic behind it and not only guided by money. Otherwise the second wave will come way sooner than most expect, in Summer and not in the Fall.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.