DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Also this is getting people to focus more on their personal hygiene (coughing into elbow, washing hands properly, wiping down smartphone regularly etc) in public which is good. Sad that it takes this kind of thing but wtv.

9 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The media is not the enemy. Coronavirus is the enemy. If you don't like how certain medias are covering the situation, then ignore it.

The fact of the matter is, there are still people not taking this seriously. I would hate to think what would happen if the media took this less seriously. I believe more people would disregard this as a result.

There's an old soccer saying. Well, I don't know if it's old, or from soccer, but it's something my dad always told me: If you need to tie a game to win a series, don't aim to tie, aim to win. If you try to win but end up with the tie, you still win. If you aim to tie because that's what you need, and end up losing because of the reduced effort, well, you lose.

Don't aim to tie. Aim to win. Don't accept or encourage reduced effort. If media over reacting gets people to wake up, that's what matters. It's also fair to say that there's certain political media outlets that have been under-selling Coronavirus, or attempting to distract people from the government's failure to respond to the situation.

i didnt say that, i think that you mistanderstood, what i said, was, the fact that media, could ask more usefull things, about the virus instead of the same old question that doesnt add anything of value (except the updates and the measures of course)

at the same time i also said that better overreaction than panicking , my point however was that @TwoMisfits said

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Also this is getting people to focus more on their personal hygiene (coughing into elbow, washing hands properly, wiping down smartphone regularly etc) in public which is good. Sad that it takes this kind of thing but wtv.

i didnt say that it wasnt helpfull, if you read my comment i cleary said, that media have done a lot of good 

Fuck Trump, he's going to get millions of people killed, not just in the USA.

• Thanks 1

well at least people have a little less to fear about testing.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

well at least people have a little less to fear about testing.

People still need to fear the lack of testing itself.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/10/coronavirus-testing-lab-materials-shortage-125212

CDC Director Robert Redfield told POLITICO on Tuesday that he is not confident that U.S. labs have an adequate stock of the supplies used to extract genetic material from any virus in a patient’s sample — a critical step in coronavirus testing.

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't like Trump but you really need to calm down with the fear-mongering. We're at 4 500 or so deaths, that's 0,45% of 1M, never mind "millions of people", and the coronavirus has already peaked in several countries.

• Thanks 1
  • Not Cool 2

Have a feeling USA has already exploded. 

Because of lack of testing, the real numbers are hidden. 

Who would have thought that USA will be the one most careless about deadly virus.. 😕

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

I don't like Trump but you really need to calm down with the fear-mongering. We're at 4 500 or so deaths, that's 0,45% of 1M, never mind "millions of people", and the coronavirus has already peaked in several countries.  

Ever thought about the families of 4500 who died. 

We already have flu to deal with every year. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Ever thought about the families of 4500 who died. 

We already have flu to deal with every year. 

Most of them are old. The average death age in Italy is 81. 90% of people who died in Italy yesterday were over 70, 60% over 80 (and zero below 50). It's never pleasant to lose a loved one, but losing the elderly whether it's the coronavirus, a heart failure, cancer, or something else is the circle of life. 

Edited by Cynosure

Posted (edited)

I hate when people use current numbers to justify a lack of urgency. As if the numbers won't continue to grow, and grow at an increasing rate. Look at the upwards trajectory. Extrapolate the data.

As for "the coronavirus has already peaked in several countries.", that's unknowable. It's peaked in China, we know that. There is 0% evidence to conclude that it has peaked in Italy or South Korea, and it's still exploding elsewhere in the world. It does appear there might be a second outbreak in South Korea starting in Seoul based on yesterdays numbers. Italy, there's no reason to believe that it's peaked yet. We don't even have complete data yet form yesterday.

So lets stop with that kind of misinformation.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I hate when people use current numbers to justify a lack of urgency. As if the numbers won't continue to grow, and grow at an increasing rate.

As for "the coronavirus has already peaked in several countries.", that's unknowable. It's peaked in China, we know that. There is 0% evidence to conclude that it has peaked in Italy or South Korea, and it's still exploding elsewhere in the world. It does appear there might be a second outbreak in South Korea starting in Seoul based on yesterdays numbers. Italy, there's no reason to believe that it's peaked yet. We don't even have complete data yet form yesterday.

So lets stop with that kind of misinformation.

the data, we have now is in general very incomplete , and there are many factors, that can influence the situation, so any prediction, that we will try to do, right now, it will probably not be accurate , , still predictions wont hurt anything 

ps irrelevant but i read about the dark death pandemic, it was a monster 

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:

This is what’s scaring me for us in Canada, Americans at no fault of their own bringing it across the border cause of lack of testing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, john2000 said:

the data, we have now is in general very incomplete , and there are many factors, that can influence the situation, so any prediction, that we will try to do, right now, it will probably not be accurate , , still predictions wont hurt anything 

Agreed, nothing wrong with predictions. I’ve been making predictions for weeks.

Thats different from stating "the coronavirus has already peaked in several countries."

Thats factually incorrect, outside of China. South Korea appears to have this under control, but we saw a new cluster pop up yesterday in Seoul, so we need to keep monitoring that situation before declaring it peaked.

Italy, impossible to say. We still don’t have yesterday’s full numbers from the region hit hardest in Italy, and the numbers have been going up daily (aside from yesterday’s incomplete numbers)

So what’s a more realistic statement, that Coronavirus has peaked in one, maybe two nations, or that Coronavirus cases continue to accelerate globally?

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1

Expect cinemas in US to be closed quite soon. Many countries in Europe already done this (hungary, Poland and the outbreak is way smaller than in US)

• Like 1

The amount of cases increased about 4% both on March 9 and on March 10, so we aren't seeing it "continue to accelerate globally".  We'll see what March 11 offers but as of now its growth pace is stable. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Expect cinemas in US to be closed quite soon. Many countries in Europe already done this (hungary, Poland and the outbreak is way smaller than in US)

The US is a really large country, and I think sometimes Europeans don’t quite grok that unless perhaps they’ve visited. (My apologies if I’m assuming too much).

I don’t think we’ll see national closure of theaters unless the outbreak here is really, really massive. But I suspect we’ll have some regional closures: pockets on the coasts and perhaps major urban areas in the middle of the country. 

Posted (edited)

The amount of cases increased about 4% both on March 9 and on March 10, so we aren't seeing it "continue to accelerate globally".  We'll see what March 11 offers but as of now its growth pace is stable. 

But its growing day by day. Today it might hit 5000 cases outside China for the first time. We are arleady at 2800 without Italy and France numbers which probably will account for about 2000 if not more.

This is not slowing down at all. At least in Europe. And US is doing literally nothing. NBA, NHL still plays with people in attendance which is ridiculous. they will be the last coutry that defeats this virus.

Edited by Damianport1

3 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

But its growing day by day. Today it might hit 5000 cases outside China for the first time. We are arleady at 2800 without Italy and France numbers which probably will account for about 2000 if not more.

This is not slowing down at all. At least in Europe. And US is doing literally nothing. NBA, NHL still plays with people in attendance which is ridiculous. they will be the last coutry that defeats this virus.

Looking at raw numbers is meaningless. Of course the number of cases will increase. That's a tautology. Only the pace of growth matters. Once the pace of growth slows downs, it means the epidemic has peaked. 

• Like 1