DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

36 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I took a look at the COVID threads, and I didn't see an obvious one to put this in, so I'll put it in the Motherthread:

Reopening Hollywood: From Insurance To Testing, Crowd Scenes & Craft Services, Here Are The Pandemic Problems Studios Are Trying To Solve Before The Re-Start (Deadline Hollywood)

The key 'graphs:

I cut out a quite a bit, including about how scripts might be rethought and the increase of studio shoots, so check out the rest at the link (and giving Deadline some nice ad revenue in the process).

Never been on a film/TV set in my life, but all of this sounds like it will add a huge expense/time to filming, and that's if those measures are realistic. The indemnity waiver thing sounds like a PR nightmare waiting to happen. I predict Hollywood leaning hard into fully animated/CGI projects until things social distancing measures can end.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

COVID QUARANTINE RECIPE THEATER PRESENTS::::

*threaded tweets proceed to give step by step instructions, including this step:*

Which eventually gives:

source.gif

'MERICA!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

0.33% case detection rate.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Kalo said:

There's certainly not doing a very good job here. ever since the lock down order was placed the end of March, the roads have been more busy. I work at a hardware store and they are doing weekend business every day.. not just weekend business like holiday weekend business. people are so dumb. 

People sit at home, they want to use the time. Here DIY, hardware,... stores were the last ones they closed too (bcs customer did no behave all like wished for), ignoring grocery stores,... and will open as the first ones in my state tomorrow, and together with other stores tomorrow too in other states.

But it was also stated they’ll open for small business owners too, so they can buy material to be able to build protective shield things.

Beside collection points for rebuilding waste, old / broken furniture, big waste things (that do not belong or match into a waste bin), your kind of store, and gardening centers are the most asked for to reopen here.

Good thing is, a lot of them are open air, can be regulated per how many are allowed to enter per simple measures, are build in a way that allows a fast exchange of air.

8 hours ago, Kalo said:

Yes that is true. and while they have "Social distancing in place" not everyone is following it very well in the store. it's almost impossible for me to follow from my co-workers. considering we have team load heavy items into peoples cars for them. but I do live in a small town, and the lock-down order is not being enforced in my area very strongly. 

No one loads heavy items into cars as a typical thing here, but in before Corona times, if an elderly, someone looking injured, small,.... they’ll try to find someone if you explicit ask for it. No service like that in Corona times.

7 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

Happens every weekend. Less testing. The increase each Tuesday is the barometer.

I see a slight to ... elevation also at Wednesday, depends on how badly the backlog is.

5 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

First off I want to say knock it off on attacks against religion. I am both a Christian and a man of science and some of the comments on here imo have been anti-religious hate comments. You need to be better than that.

Second remember the long incubation time of this. What you see today in terms of new cases is due to actions from 2-3 weeks ago and deaths are from actions of 3-4 weeks ago. With an incubation period of up to 2 weeks and then you have to get sick enough to go somewhere to be tested. The avg stay in the hospital for those that die is 7 days, so that is another week. (FYI, avg stay for those that require ICU and/or ventilators is 20 days and avg stay for those who due to require that level of care is 8 days). So once things are loosened up, if they are done too quickly we will start to see it in about 3 weeks.

Finally, this CNN graphic page has alot of good graphics on US Coronavirus spread. They now have a graph with the cases per capita for every county in the US. They also have a chart where if you scroll over it it will show you the time to doubling cases for every state. Right now the fastest is SD which is doubling every 5 days. 

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-us-maps-and-cases/

I think its mostly one person, not included in a lot of the posts, so... in my POV no need to react???

Very good reminder, I feel like at least some here forgoet about those details whilst discussing e.g pro/contra re-opening

That is a nice link, exactly like I had asked for some days back!

Interesting, infection-wise the worst affected county in Germany had yesterday or the day before 1452 per 100.000 capita, the worst death count per 100.000 is the same county with nearly 112 death

New York has 1247 infected, and 91 death per 100.000 capita.

Edited by terrestrial

Concerns about the Stanford Serology study or the study of Facebook users who thought they might have had COVID-19. 

Another interesting thread. The Seattle Flu Study retested samples taken from 1 January. COVID-19 first showed up in the samples on 21 February. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

The Stanford Serology study. 

I'm interested to see the results of the 10000+ person test that MLB is conducting, as it's not just players but:

Ten thousand employees of 27 of the league’s 30 clubs have volunteered to take part in what researchers from Stanford, USC and the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory are calling the COVID-19 Sero Prevalence Study, an MLB spokesman confirmed. The antibody test does not look for active COVID-19 infection, but rather the presence of a specific blood protein the human body produces in response to it. It is not the same as the PCR tests used to determine if people are currently infected with the virus.

The study includes not only players, their families, and team staff, but also concessionaires, ushers and other part-time employees of all socioeconomic backgrounds, ages and genders, said Jay Bhattacharya, MD, Ph.D., and professor of medicine at Stanford University, one of the lead researchers of this study. Bhattacharya said it was important to include people like part-time ushers and concessionaires, “front line people,” who interact with a large number of people in their jobs. 

“This will be the first time we will be able to see how truly prevalent COVID-19 has spread throughout the United States,” said Bhattacharya. “And instead of it taking years to pull together a study of this scope, especially with stay-at-home orders, MLB has helped us turn it around in a matter of weeks.”

The study, funded by private donors, has nothing to do with determining when to restart MLB games this season, both Bhattacharya and an MLB spokesman confirmed. Rather, it offers a look into the extent and spread of the disease in dozens of different communities in North America, said Daniel Eichner, Ph.D., the president and laboratory director at the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory (SMRTL). MLB declined to identify the three teams that opted not to participate in the study.

(more at this link - sub may be required)

Not so much "first" anymore, though probably still first for this size.

The random sample isn't purely random, but it seems a hell of a lot more random than via self-selected Facebook ads. Getting ushers and other employees will help with the demos, though obviously not grab folks out of work.

Still, seems more likely to get a decent snapshot of the picture when these tests were done (which admittedly might be over a rolling period of time).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

EV64zEFX0AMw_IJ?format=jpg&name=small

The German rise 😮

France never reached the level of Spain and Italy, steady decline of the curve now. 

The Ireland lockdown date is wrong, UK was 23rd March, Ireland was 28th.

Edit. OK graph a bit small, the star is on a different curve. So not Ireland.

Edit2: actually hard to tell which curve any of the stars are on.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Shit like this makes me all warm and fuzzy.

• Like 5

Republicans continued to sabotage covid 19 containment effort 

Federal judge blocks Kansas limits on religious gatherings

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/18/judge-blocks-kansas-limits-on-religious-gathering-coronavirus-193907

A federal judge on Saturday blocked Kansas from limiting attendance at in-person religious worship services or activities to 10 people or fewer to check the spread of the coronavirus, signaling that he believes that it's likely that the policy violates religious freedom and free speech rights.

How the hell is this related to religious freedom and free speech rights? 🤬🤬

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Not Cool 1

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

The Ireland lockdown date is wrong, UK was 23rd March, Ireland was 28th.

Edit. OK graph a bit small, the star is on a different curve. So not Ireland.

Edit2: actually hard to tell which curve any of the stars are on.

Buy glasses

• Not Cool 1

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Buy glasses

Or maybe just post the tweet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

We seem rather focused on a vaccine that won't come for a year but should we also focus on perhaps a treatment that reduces the death rate down down dramatically?

Because based on what I can see we're headed towards an on and off lockdown situation for the next year-and-a-half...

Also I remember reading that for the Spanish Flu the death rate got mitigated dramatically through effective new treatments.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

We seem rather focused on a vaccine that won't come for a year but should we also focus on perhaps a treatment that reduces the death rate down down dramatically?

Because based on what I can see we're headed towards an on and off lockdown situation for the next year-and-a-half...

Also I remember reading that for the Spanish Flu the death rate got mitigated dramatically through effective new treatments.

Agree, but think behind the medical scenes they are already searching for that 😉

17 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

It's already underway, it's a European experiment called 'Discovery', results will be known late April for several treatments. They apparently have 1 that is very efficient and without dangerous side effects but they want more time to be sure. 

25 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Or maybe just post the tweet. 

to be fair I got it on Discord so what I gave you is what I got, didn't know a bigger version was available on twitter. 

Police stops European city tourists near Siegsdorf

One can only shake one's head in amazement", the police now reports about a case from Siegsdorf on Friday, April 17: A patrol checked a car with three Frenchmen on board, a 37-year-old man, his 38-year-old partner and their common toddler. During the check it turned out that the family had previously failed to enter Austria - they claimed to be on a "Europe-wide city tour", according to the police. The French had already spooled off 1400 kilometres.

But it gets "better": The police found out that the couple had simply left three of their other children - all of them minors - at home in France. "The children had therefore already contacted the French police," the Police Headquarters of Upper Bavaria South informed further. The French had to pay a fine in Siegsdorf and the police now hope that they are on their way home

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

:bash:

• ...wtf 1

51 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

There are alot of clinical trials already starting looking at varios drugs. the HCQ ones are the ones that get the most mentions but there are at least a half a dozezn drugs that they have started or plan to start clinical trials on.

One of the issues has been the pushing of HCQ. That has made it easy to find people to participate in HCQ studies but harder to get to agree to participating in non-HCQ trials. One reason that a specific drug should never be pushed. You want to test as many as possible to try to find the best one.

• Like 2

There are now over 100.000 official Coronavirus Deaths in Europe. And we know thats an undercount :(

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, bladels said:

Republicans continued to sabotage covid 19 containment effort 

Federal judge blocks Kansas limits on religious gatherings

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/18/judge-blocks-kansas-limits-on-religious-gathering-coronavirus-193907

A federal judge on Saturday blocked Kansas from limiting attendance at in-person religious worship services or activities to 10 people or fewer to check the spread of the coronavirus, signaling that he believes that it's likely that the policy violates religious freedom and free speech rights.

How the hell is this related to religious freedom and free speech rights? 🤬🤬

If you want the legal reasoning - Probably b/c they didn't limit the grocery store and other open indoor places to 10 folks at a time...so, they purposely singled out religion against the secular services.

Now, that doesn't mean Kansas can't go back and now limit everything to 10 people (or apply store limits to Churches and keep them at a low level, if not 10), and try to keep the limit in place...but they have to do it with the 1st amendment in mind.

Note - this is legal reasoning only.  I think Churches should have the limits at their indoor sites...although it would be a harder thing to justify for drive in Churches (where everyone stays in their cars) or open air Churches (where everyone just plops on their own blankets on the ground outside in the sun) observing the 6ft circle distance/person and overall person to square footage protocols who take out all "people interaction" from their services.  In those cases, it gives folks something to do that isn't gonna spread virus to any great degree...and would seem like another "step to keep people following the rest of the stay home orders b/c they could do "something"...

In my circle of family and friends, 90% are still on board full stay home...but the 10% are starting to get more vocal and antsy...and finding any way for them to keep staying home one more day should be a goal...

• Like 1