DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Two words for you :

supply chains.

How long do we have ?

China s doctors & all related personel dealing with the outbreak are the best equiped in the world to protect themsleves because they produce  ALL the masks, gloves and special clothes and equipmets to treat Covid patients without being infected themselves.

I follow a twitter account of a french doctor explaining this in detail saying in France that we have nothing (not nothing but not much), no masks (10 yo old innefective ones from the H5N1 outbreak), no stocks left, doctors and people are being sent to the front naked, without weapons. 

Basically everything is out of stock or close to it.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Oh yeah. Totally peaked.

We won't conclusively know the Coronavirus mortality rate until all is said and done.

South Korea is an exception, not the rule. Their innovative testing strategy that only Germany has copied (everyone wants to ignore South Korea's brilliant testing when pointing out how well South Korea is handling this, as if South Korea is representative of global efforts).

WHO currently says 3.4%. Clearly, it's much lower than that. But Fauci (the only American official I trust at the moment) has made it clear it's around 1%. Not a small fraction of a precent.

Something to keep in mind: There is a lag between death counts and cases reported. As we saw in China after they got it under control and the case numbers dropped, the death counts kept up for a bit. So you can expect there to be a slight statistical lag between the cases reported and deaths reported.

SK's mortality rate is also creeping up every day...so even with the info and the precautions, they are approaching the 1% mortality rate...and with almost all their cases still active, could still creep up closer to Chinese numbers (I think they'll stay well below Italy b/c they reacted like China)...

Governor of Washington just announced new measures to try to contain the virus, including a ban on public gatherings of more then 250 people.

Which means we will have the first manadatory theaers closures in the United States.

37 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I don't think you realize the domino effect. Coronavirus will lead to the breakdown of the entire healthcare system in America. That's what is happening right now in Italy. As a nation we are not equipped to deal with this pandemic ON TOP OF normal medical occurrences. Coronavirus doesn't exist in a vacuum. And then there's the economic fallout, which will be enormous.

It's not just about old people dying, which you seem to want to reduce this to.

Yes,  this a 1000x yes.

An outbreak affects EVERYONE.  When the healthcare system collapses, that healthy 22 year old who breaks an arm CANNOT GO to the hospital and won't get treated...so, you have a system where people die or get long-lasting effects from things that have nothing to do with the original virus.

See Lombardy RIGHT NOW.  Docs have already said if you come in over 60 with a co-morbidity condition (whether you come in for corona or something else), they can't help...right now...and that will only get worse and start excluding more folks as the collapse keeps coming there.

I mean, there's a reason Italy went from normal to an entire shut down country in under one week...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

13 confirmed cases leading to such aggressive measures is a great example for the world.   

Weird list of arrival ban countries though, US is more banworthy than China or SK at this point.

I guess that list will only become longer as time passes.

Most of the cases are related to two Iranian students. Quaranteening / testing everyone who contacted them was hopefully enough to prevent the mass outbreak for now. I'm more concerned about work related travels from Western Europe. Our industry is highly dependent on foreign companies.

I feel the the government's actions in Canada are way too passive and they seem hesitant to do anything that seems 'harsh or mean' as well we are not used to harsh or mean things in canada..

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

I feel the the government's actions in Canada are way too passive and they seem hesitant to do anything that seems 'harsh or mean' as well we are not used to harsh or mean things in canada..

Gee, it's  harder for democratic government to take harsh measure taking away people's individual rights. Who would have thunk it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

banning freedom of speech is not mean and harsh ?

Oh, sorry, it s A-okay when "they" do it.

Edited by The Futurist
1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Gee, it's  harder for democratic government to take harsh measure taking away people's individual rights. Who would have thunk it.

Soldiers of the past sacrificed themselves so we can have stable nations with stable frontiers so people can act like fearful, immature, incoherent, lost, capricious infants only thinking for themselves.

And we call it progress.

Take a bow.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Frankly, when China uses this incident to suggest that their autocratic system has some serious advantages over western democracy, they will be completely right. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But even putting simple travel restrictions has been something our country has been hesitant to do. 

I think it makes sense as you can focus less on incoming cases and contain the virus in a country.

As i said we are soft minded people we are not used to crisis. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

The situation in Lombardie is HELL.

Just saw a doctor in a hospital desperately calling for help.

My thoughts are with Italy and everyone affected by this tragedy.

Hope somehow, we can find a way out.

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Frankly, when China uses this incident to suggest that their autocratic system has some serious advantages over western democracy, they will be completely right. 

Except that their autocratic system hid the severity of the virus for almost a month.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And you are an ASSHOLE for using this disaster as fodder for your old ,tired, and just plain annyoingin shtick.

Welcome to ignore.

I have a dark humor in stressful situation.