DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

25 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

Exactly. Is it hard to understand that (long term) lockdowns will harm the food supply chains in many parts of the world. Less supply on one side (the global marine industry basically stopped working). Less income on the other side because of unemployment. The poor people in poor countries with mass population like Africa, India, Bangladesh etc will be hurt the most. People in the West surely need not to worry about famine or malnutrition...

What long term lockdowns?

44 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

well you better hope that is correct or pretty much democrats are going into an epic civil war. 

This is the 2nd time in a row DNC establishment types have said to everyone "trust it our person is a sure bet"

The establishment didn't propel Biden to victory, voters did.

• Like 3

Trump Claims Comments on Disinfectants Were ‘Sarcastic’

By  26 Comments

President Trump said Friday that he answered “sarcastically” during a White House task force briefing when he said that disinfectants may be used to treat coronavirus, Axios reports.

Of course, the comments were on video, so judge for yourself.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

George Orwell. 1984

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Not Cool 1
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

George Orwell. 1984

The immediate follow up should have been to ask him "Define sarcasm"

Pivoting slightly because it is interesting.

Pres Trump isn't the only one out there promoting dangerous quackery. 

And it ISN'T a left/right 'both sides' thing, but more an 'insider/outsider' distrust of authority as Jane Coaston noted on Twitter:

In a round about way this ties into that discussion about Flat Earthers in this thread a few weeks back.  The allure of "hidden knowledge" is a strong one, especially for those who are vulnerable or distrustful of authority (which is certainly ironic in the case of one Donald Trump, but there you are)

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Of if the worst crisis of the 21th century for the leader of what is still arguably the strongest nation in the world with one if not the most listened to microphone in the world a good time and place to make hard to detect sarcastic joke., about possible cure for a virus...

Imagine the brain storm is team had about how to spin this.

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

My obligatory Orwell quip notwithstanding, I think I'm more offended at how lame the comeback/walkback is.

Like, that's the best you can come up with?

---

Even so, this gets damn close to Popehat's Rule of Goats (NSFW Twitter post at the link).  Maybe not exactly the same, but close enough to ask the judges if it qualifies.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

My obligatory Orwell quip notwithstanding, I think I'm more offended at how lame the comeback/walkback is.

Like, that's the best you can come up with?

---

Even so, this gets damn close to Popehat's Rule of Goats (NSFW Twitter post at the link).  Maybe not exactly the same, but close enough to ask the judges if it qualifies.

It's not even that deep. He's a simple man who saw this 2 minutes before he said that nonsense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 2
6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Of if the worst crisis of the 21th century for the leader of what is still arguably the strongest nation in the world with one if not the most listened to microphone in the world a good time and place to make hard to detect sarcastic joke., about possible cure for a virus...

Imagine the brain storm is team had about how to spin this.

I mean, it wasn't sarcastic is the point.  It was sincere and the ramblings of someone way out of their depth.

That they're/Trump is trying to spin it as sarcasm shows just how ludicrous it really was.

(in a sane world, it was "Invoke 25th Amendment" ludicrous, and I am the furthest thing from a 25th'er)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, it wasn't sarcastic is the point.  It was sincere and the ramblings of someone way out of their depth.

That they're/Trump is trying to spin it as sarcasm shows just how ludicrous it really was.

(in a sane world, it was "Invoke 25th Amendment" ludicrous, and I am the furthest thing from a 25th'er)

Lol Trump jumped the shark with his "mexican be rapists speech"

Nothing he says shocks people much anymore....

Like they hear it and go oooof and just continue on to the next outrage a few days latter.. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's not even that deep. He's a simple man who saw this 2 minutes before he said that nonsense

I mean, I get that.  All I was saying was even if Trump was talking about ingesting bleach ironically (which he wasn't), he's still... talking about ingesting bleach.

The Rule of Goats is all about that... it doesn't matter if you're doing something insanely stupid/reprehensible for sarcastic/ironic reasons... because you're still doing something insanely stupid/reprehensible. It basically exists as a rule to short-circuit the entire debate over whether or not something was ironic/sarcastic by saying it doesn't matter if it was sarcastic or not.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Lol Trump jumped the shark with his "mexican be rapists speech"

Nothing he says shocks people much anymore....

Like they hear it and go oooof and just continue on to the next outrage a few days latter.. 

I occasionally wondered what it would be like to live under a Mad King.

Whelp!  Now I know.

• Like 2

While I have to shake my head (sadly, unbelieving) at those Trumpisms, the question remains who ever was thinking he could make a good president. The guy hasn't changed since he got elected, he's been that way for years (if not decades) before. I think it's a bit cheap now making him the scapegoat for the USA's botched response to the virus threat. There are deeper, much deeper problems in the US' societey it would seem.

(A bit like in the UK - as little as I like the weasel, but making BJ responsible for the "herd immunity" approach is silly, the guy didn't even know the expression, even less what it means - same as most users in this forum - how would he come up with that idea?)

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, I get that.  All I was saying was even if Trump was talking about ingesting bleach ironically (which he wasn't), he's still... talking about ingesting bleach.

The Rule of Goats is all about that... it doesn't matter if you're doing something insanely stupid/reprehensible for sarcastic/ironic reasons... because you're still doing something insanely stupid/reprehensible. It basically exists as a rule to short-circuit the entire debate over whether or not something was ironic/sarcastic by saying it doesn't matter if it was sarcastic or not.

• Like 1