DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

I have Brazilian users on our discord chat and they still going to the beach and clubs 

That's because our stupid President keeps telling people that they shouldn't worry about it, and that people should be living as nothing is happening, and since we're in a country full of morons, they actually listen to him.

• Sad 2
3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Would there also be a way to isolate just older people and keep them under lockdown while having people below 50 go back to work? Like how would they go on ahead with doing something like that? 

In the US, it'd be tough, b/c the group that overwhelming votes is the senior citizen group...and anything where they think they are getting screwed won't fly with them...

I mean, they are happy with the "extras" they get, like special shopping hours...they won't want "subtractions", like "you stay home all summer, while your neighbors work and party"...

PS - One only needs to look at cruise forums when they found out 70+ might need a doctor's note to cruise - you'd have thought this was the most heinous, unfair plan ever hatched together by the cruise industry and US government to take away their rights and how discriminatory and unfair the whole thing was...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

California joining Georgia and Florida , letting people go wild at the beach. If this is allowed, why stop people from working, seems odd

Tens of thousands of Californians escape their homes to open beaches during a heatwave despite Gov. Newsom's pleas for them to stay home as state reached 40,000 cases

Similarly in China, theaters now can be used to hold weddings or even as restaurants but are not allowed to screen movies.

• ...wtf 1

Went to the farmers market that finally reopened. Only 1 person per family allowed, 6 feet distance required, mask required. It was great. Only downside it was pouring rain each way 30 min walk.

Nice to feel semi normal again for 1 hour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Arendelle Legion said:

But there is significant evidence that going outside is effective vs Covid ;)     

They key is to be outside, in sunlight, alone 😛 

As a shut-in internet addict who likes long solo hikes, I am living my best life.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, AndyK said:

More to the point, how do they manage to recover?

What would that have to do with immunity?

If such a thing were required to defeat an illness, then there would never be any need to get more than one vaccination for a specific illness, yet there are quite a few out there that require more than one shot.

Not every illness requires antibodies to that specific illness either. The immune-system doesn't rely on just one method to combat illnesses, it would be rather lacklustre if it did. Not to mention that you can be exposed to a virus to a different degree, Some might get a full load and end up with a higher risk of a severe infection, some might just catch a very small amount that doesn't end up causing much of an issue. That would obviously have an effect on what means the body has developed to deal with the illness.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Don't all the other coronaviruses provide at least short-term immunity?

Yes that I know off in a sense and monkeys do seem to develop one for this one as well.:

https://www.livescience.com/monkeys-cannot-get-reinfected-with-coronavirus-study.html

I imagine it is ethically impossible to test it on humans and they need to wait to see

1) Test that say you had it and recovered are precise

2) Immunity last a relevant amount of time

3) It is a strong immunity and that work against all the "branches" of the virus

4) Are you immune in the sense you do not show any symptoms when you get it again but can still infect other or immune at getting it all together.

MERS had a immunity suspected to be about one year, SARS at least 3 year's, I am not sure about the common cold that are from the coronavirus family there is so many of them around that I imagine you never get necessarily immune to all of them.

Edited by Barnack
5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

A lot more people outside just walking around and such.

I dont see lockdown working well into the summer here. 

The difference between that and spending hours in a closed crowded environment/public transport must be huge, I suspect you can have shutdown working quite well despite people walking around in the sun (in a lot of place that had nice success, people never stopped walking around right, say Australia ?).

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, George Parr said:

What would that have to do with immunity?

If such a thing were required to defeat an illness, then there would never be any need to get more than one vaccination for a specific illness, yet there are quite a few out there that require more than one shot.

Not every illness requires antibodies to that specific illness either. The immune-system doesn't rely on just one method to combat illnesses, it would be rather lacklustre if it did. Not to mention that you can be exposed to a virus to a different degree, Some might get a full load and end up with a higher risk of a severe infection, some might just catch a very small amount that doesn't end up causing much of an issue. That would obviously have an effect on what means the body has developed to deal with the illness.

We've already had this conversation and @jason explained why the non-specific immune system wouldn't be enough to defeat this virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

At least 36,000 more people have died during the coronavirus pandemic over the last month than the official Covid-19 death counts report, a review of mortality data in 12 countries shows — providing a clearer, if still incomplete, picture of the toll of the crisis.

In the last month, far more people died in these countries than in previous years, The New York Times found. The totals include deaths from Covid-19 as well as those from other causes, likely including people who could not be treated as hospitals became overwhelmed.

This is not taking into account fewer traffic related deaths.

https://qz.com/1840736/coronavirus-reduces-california-traffic-accidents-by-half/

I hope we can track overall deaths world wide not just COVID positive ones. Problem is would all countries be able to track all the deaths. There were rumors about mass burials/cremations in China during the peak. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The difference between that and spending hours in a closed crowded environment/public transport must be huge, I suspect you can have shutdown working quite well despite people walking around in the sun (in a lot of place that had nice success, people never stopped walking around right, say Australia ?).

Well 3 weeks ago i was pro lockdown more and shut everything down...

Like my dad and I are not on speaking terms right now as he wants to go out and be with friends and such because he just mentally has lost it staying indoors. 

So i think after 1-2 months people really going to start breaking down mentally from lockdowns i think, and if people can walk in the park it would help a lot. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

So i think after 1-2 months people really going to start breaking down mentally from lockdowns i think, and if people can walk in the park it would help a lot. 

Yes we cannot have a marathon vision that do not include people including the elderly taking walks outside.

• Like 3