DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

I live in California. Newsom said today the economy will open in 4 phases. Theaters and other "high-risk" operations will open in phase 3 which is many, many months down the line. Theaters will not open in CA for a long time and not in time for Tenet or Mulan. That's a certainty at this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
On 4/28/2020 at 6:17 AM, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days:

1568 Mon, April 27

1607 Sun

1835 Sat

1580 Sun

1370 Sat

India, new cases last 10 days:

1902 Tue, April 28 // worst day, but testing is also ramping up. lockdown lifts in most places on Monday.

1607 Sun

1835 Sat

1580 Sun

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2
32 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I live in California. Newsom said today the economy will open in 4 phases. Theaters and other "high-risk" operations will open in phase 3 which is many, many months down the line. Theaters will not open in CA for a long time and not in time for Tenet or Mulan. That's a certainty at this point.

i don't think more than 3 months, unless cases start spiking. but i don't expect full capacity to next year. He also surprising floated the idea of opening schools end of July.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i don't think more than 3 months, unless cases start spiking. but i don't expect full capacity to next year. He also surprising floated the idea of opening schools end of July.

True. The school thing is surprising, but that is in phase two. 

13 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I just found out there's going to be a quarantine themed brand new special episode of Parks and Recreation this Thursday on NBC. Show ended all the way back in 2014. I'm stunned, and thrilled.

Ron Swanson social distancing arrangements. 

ron swanson spinning GIF

• Like 4
4 hours ago, grim22 said:

Does he ever know what he's talking about? "Turning residents over" pretty much means that he thinks Black and brown people are not Americans.

That has been Trump's main tactic since day one; MAGA is really MAWA: "Make America White Again".

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Porthos said:

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Wikipedia)

Lately they're the agency charged with apprehending and deporting folks without a visa/green card.

They... don't have the best of reputations on the left side of the aisle here, to put it mildly, especially when it comes to concerns of due process or respecting civil rights.  Or a whole host of other issues, frankly.

That's the very short answer.  Any longer answer would probably have to be in the Political section.

Ahhh, thank you.

I am aware about a lot of .... bad things they do and did especially since the actual ‚government‘, I only can‘t remember their letters for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Here was a recommendation how to treat masks to be able to reuse them I never trusted for reasosn of comparison to other viruses related to...

Today this is the Number one report at our newsticker, based on Frontal21.

ZDF is the second oldest / lung running nationwide releasing TV station, and counts as at least sometimes too friendly for the government. Their politic magazine Frontal21 seems to be a bit better in that detail, Frontal is e.g. translated as head-on

Report: Federal recommended mask preparation does not kill virus

According to a media report, the coronavirus is not completely killed by the reprocessing procedure for respirators recommended by the federal government. This was reported by the ZDF magazine "Frontal 21" on Tuesday, citing a paper from the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices (BfArM). According to the paper, the reprocessing procedure advocated by the Federal Government so far "is not sufficient to achieve a complete inactivation of infectious virus particles on the incubated masks".

Thus, this procedure can no longer be recommended for the decontamination of masks, the paper states. The BfArM therefore demands that the current reprocessing procedure be terminated immediately. According to "Frontal 21", the letter is dated April 24 and is addressed to the higher-ranking Federal Ministry of Health. The ZDF-magazine reported that the treatment procedure by dry heat at 70 degrees is still allowed. When asked, the responsible ministries did not comment on the controversial procedure. The Federal Ministry of Health and the Federal Ministry of Labor had therefore specified the procedure at the beginning of April.

The BfArM's internal paper also mentions a possible alternative: According to the paper, in the case of correspondingly positive test results, thermal decontamination at 90 degrees for 90 minutes could probably be recommended as an alternative procedure. However, further test results are to be awaited first.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Boiling the material and afterwards iron it lengthily on the highest setting of a good ironing ... thing is what I knew out of the past.

edit to add: at home a pressure cooker pot can theoretically even increase the temperature for e.g. cotton materials, that endure those temps. In my POV only interesting for cases with a proven i fected within the same household, where a certain amount of virus count is ... there (term?)

@Finnick hi, back to you too (I am back since a few weeks, feels like a month or so?) Today I am at work, away in a few minutes 😉

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2
700 die in Iran drinking 'corona cure' alcohol

More than 700 people have died in Iran after ingesting toxic methanol, believing that alcohol can cure may help in effectively warding off the dangerous and fast spreading contagion. The national coroner's authority said that alcohol poisoning killed 728 Iranians between February 20 and April 7. Last year there were only 66 deaths from alcohol poisoning, according to the report cited by Al Jazeera.

Alcohol poisoning has seen a 10-fold increase in Iran in the past year, according to a government report released earlier in April, amid a significant surge in coronavirus cases in the country -- considered to be the epicenter of the pandemic in Middle East.

Iranian health ministry spokesman, Kianoush Jahanpour, said 5,011 people had been poisoned from methanol alcohol, adding that some 90 people have lost their eyesight or are suffering eye damage from the alcohol poisoning.

Hossein Hassanian, a health ministry adviser, said the final tally of people who lost their eyesight could be much higher.Iran is facing the worst coronavirus outbreak in the Middle East with 5,806 deaths and more than 91,000 confirmed cases.Methanol cannot be smelled or tasted in drinks. 

It causes delayed organ and brain damage. Symptoms include chest pain, nausea, hyperventilation, blindness and even coma. -- ANI

• Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

fun side news:

The number of rescue missions for the Austrian Bergrettung (mountain rescue) between mid-March and mid-April was 8 (eight). last year, during the same time, it was >400 !)

as mentioned earlier in this thread, traffic accidents have been down, too (-50% during Easter week).

So, at least a bit of good news coming from this virus, after all!

At my son's office, they did antibody tests today ... they found 3 cases they had hitherto missed (bringing the number to 7 infected in a 30head office, 6 of them were at the office skiing day in Ischgl); my son testet negative though. I took the test too, it was negative during the 10min testing time but they observed the strips a while longer and mine became slightly coloured, so they pricked another finger with the same result - have to repeat it in 2 weeks time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Porthos said:

President Mob Boss has made another appearance:

16 hours ago, grim22 said:

Does he ever know what he's talking about? "Turning residents over" pretty much means that he thinks Black and brown people are not Americans.

I have looked at the video and he never said "turning residents over to ICE", he never said "residents' and he never said "ICE".. that was completely made up by that person on Twitter. Unfortunately this is how disinformation is used.

I'm ok with calling out Trump when he says stupid things, but when you're inventing words he never said you're just creating more unnecessary hate and divide. 

Chinese scientists say they haven’t found evidence that the warmer months of summer would help slow the spread of the virus — something the Trump administration has previously expressed hopes about, the news outlet said.

“The virus is heat sensitive, but that’s when it’s exposed to 56 degrees Celsius [or 132 degrees Fahrenheit] for 30 minutes and the weather is never going to get that hot,” said Wang Guiqiang, director of the Infectious Disease Department at Peking University First Hospital.

“So globally, even during the summer, the chance of cases going down significantly is small.”

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Chinese scientists say they haven’t found evidence that the warmer months of summer would help slow the spread of the virus — something the Trump administration has previously expressed hopes about, the news outlet said.

The same days an other Chinese expert is saying the opposite saying it will be like almost all other a seasonal virus:

https://time.com/5828325/coronavirus-covid19-seasonal-asymptomatic-carriers/

The Summer factor from what I understand is not purely how the UV, heat and temperature attack the virus, but how strong people immune system, their mucus, interior vs exterior activity are.

• Like 2

National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases has done a study with remdesivir. Indicates that there's no difference between 5 day dosage and 10 day dosage (meaning that production can be doubled) and 7% mortality rate for hospitalisations, which is much lower than the usually mortality rate for hospitalizations.

https://www.gilead.com/news-and-press/press-room/press-releases/2020/4/gilead-announces-results-from-phase-3-trial-of-investigational-antiviral-remdesivir-in-patients-with-severe-covid-19

I think Fauci will be talking more about this later today.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2