DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

9 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I remember reading an article once about the Texas State House in Austin. It had metal detectors when entering the building. However, there was a separate queue for those with a weapon who could bypass the queue and go straight in. 

Found it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/us/guns-get-a-pass-at-texas-capitol.html

I’ve been to the state capital, and yes this is true.

• Like 1

The US deaths have definitely plateaued, which is both a good thing which means the measures are working, and a bad thing because they aren't going down. Its been 1500-1800 on the weekends and 2300-2600 on the weekdays.

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, The Panda said:

Everything Elon Musk says ranges on a scale of

Dumb to so Idiotic that Wharton should revoke his undergrad degree and feel complete and utter shame for producing both him and Donald Trump.

Musk is a textbook example of the unstable genius: brilliant one minute;bat crap crazy the nest.

Real problem is some of his "fans" see him as a genius who can do no wrong and will blindly accept anything he says.

Like Trump, Musk often indulges in magical thinking:Whatever he wants to be true he can make happen by willing it strongly enough.

That Musk has another  smart one minute, totally crazy the next person...Tesla...as his idol says it all.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

And, surprise, the Trump adminsitration is beating the war drums against China very loudly.

I have no love for the Chinese Government, but this is stupid. Any attempt to "punish" them economically will back fire, and end up hurting the US more. And I note other countries seem unwilling to jump on the "Let's Get China" bandwagon.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2
  • Not Cool 1
1 hour ago, doublejack said:

My biggest beef with Musk is that he's approaching AI / autonomous vehicles from the wrong direction. My background is that of a software developer, and my instincts tell me that Musk will never develop an AI that is as capable of driving a vehicle as the average human is. The problem is the roads are simply not set up for it. If we want safe autonomous cars, then some standardization and safety systems will need to be built into the nation's roads.

All too often I see autonomous cars compared to planes and helicopters that have an autopilot feature. The reality is they are not even close to comparable. Designing a system to fly a plane is way easier, even though on the surface it may not seem to be.

I am sure they would love to have updated made for it roads everywhere, but I doubt a company can do that (and that why it will probably happen in some Chinese city first), but with how fast machine learning went in the last 30 year's and the amount of data they are getting, I am not so sure it could not work with regular roads in 2050.

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Sorry, I got distracted by the TREMENDOUS DEATH

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

1917. He must really like the movie. 

Have seen speculation it could be some sort of "Q" shoutout...  They seem to be taking the 1917 flu references that way, if nothing else. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, grim22 said:

The US deaths have definitely plateaued, which is both a good thing which means the measures are working, and a bad thing because they aren't going down. Its been 1500-1800 on the weekends and 2300-2600 on the weekdays.

Could be declining in areas where it's mature and rising in new areas so it's balancing out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Have seen speculation it could be some sort of "Q" shoutout...  They seem to be taking the 1917 flu references that way, if nothing else. 

Nothing is a Q shout-out. That is a bunch of people reading too much into everything.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Nothing is a Q shout-out. That is a bunch of people reading too much into everything.

Probably, but the current POTUS retweets a lot of random/fringe accounts you would never expect a world leader to ever acknowledge or even know about.

The "1917 flu" is not a thing, but POTUS keeps saying it for some reason, hopefully it is as benign as one-take movies being his jam. His own grandfather died in the 1918 pandemic, you'd think that would help the year stick but no...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Depends on the state, but yes:

What the actual? How is this allowed? America is truly fucked up

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Heretic said:

What the actual? How is this allowed? America is truly fucked up

I could give a real answer or a sarcastic one.

*thinks*

I gave the semi-sarcastic one earlier, so I'll give the real answer (and then supplement it with a tinge of biting social commentary).

Open Carry Laws + National Mythology + Country Literally Formed By Revolution + Still a Fairly Young  Country = Strong Emotional Ties Between Protests and Guns.  Especially when Liberty (capital "L" intentional) wants to be seen.

It really helps to be a majority white crowd when you're doing this. :ph34r:  Political protests by minority groups that have guns front and center as symbology don't do nearly as well, historically speaking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It really helps to be a majority white crowd when you're doing this. :ph34r:  Political protests by minority groups that have guns front and center as symbology don't do nearly as well, historically speaking.

Not doing it in a state like California also help, black panthers for example open carrying assault rifle in texas:

And in the street:

https://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshha4AK09tH03827x57

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2015/03/16/gun-group-loosely-affiliated-with-black-panther-party-marches-at-the-capitol/

It went well I think.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Country Literally Formed By Revolution

At the risk of turning this into a political thread, right about now is when I remind all the folks in Europe (and Australia, Canada, and New Zealand) that the US was a revolutionary country.  I won't say we don't have hundreds of years of history before said revolution, as there was the colonial era that lasted a century and a half (or more!), depending on the colony.

But we're still different from a country like, say, France, as we don't have millennia of shared culture.  

In some ways, America has a lot in common with Latin American countries that I just think Europeans and others really don't grok on some level. Which is probably fair as I don't think many Americans think all that deeply about the similarities, either.

But when it comes to some of the more... odd quirks about what it means to be the US of A. culturally speaking, remembering how it was formed and what a loooooooong shadow that casts in the culture is pretty helpful.

(this doesn't even get into the Civil War, or Manifest Destiny, or the Mexican American War or how we pretty much conquered everything in our path from the Mississippi River to the West Coast, including running roughshod over all of the people already living there)

Could go on a lot more about this, but probably better not as it is frightfully off topic. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Not doing it in a state like California also help, black panthers for example open carrying assault rifle in texas:

And in the street:

https://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshha4AK09tH03827x57

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2015/03/16/gun-group-loosely-affiliated-with-black-panther-party-marches-at-the-capitol/

It went well I think.

I will say that I think Texas is one of the few states in the country where that sort of thing could go relatively well.  And even then, in my not so humble opinion, they're rolling the dice to some degree.

But Texas for it's own reasons is even more... unique than the rest of the US over things like this. :)

@Porthos You’re not allowed to protest in any form in an Australian State Parliament or the Federal Parliament. You can’t enter the building or the grounds. If you start shouting from the public galleries you’re immediately kicked out. 

Random protest outside the NSW State Parliament. 

Spoiler

The building in the background is the NSW State Parliament. The oldest parts date back to the 1810’s and were originally part of the “Rum Hospital”. So named as construction was funded by the rum trade as rum was the currency at the time hence the “Rum Rebellion” against Governor Bligh. Yes, that Captain Bligh of mutiny fame. 

As I kept typing the above the more I imagined Grandpa Simpson saying it. 

• Thanks 1