google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

14 minutes ago, cax16 said:

There’s always going to be bad apples that try and scam the system but I’d wager the majority of the people who left jobs did so because they were scared of getting covid and getting others around them sick.

I can’t blame anyone who was working at a grocery store or fast food restaurant and making minimum wage ( nothing wrong with that btw) who was scared and didn’t want to risk being at work anymore. 

I can only imagine how nerve racking it must be to go to work daily. I haven’t been in a store since like the 15th of March I think. 

Um...

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html

The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) gives up to $500 a week to workers who have stopped working because of COVID-19. This might be because:

• You've been let go or laid off from your job or your hours have been reduced to zero.
  • You're in quarantine or sick because of COVID-19.
  • You're away from work to care for others who are in quarantine or sick because of COVID-19.
  • You're away from work to care for children or other dependants whose daycare has closed because of COVID-19.

You don't qualify if you voluntarily quit your job.

Issue is though the CERB is not for such people and the govt is going to be clawing back a lot of of money from people next year.

My point is a lot of people have sort of doomed themselves here...No job and will have to pay that money back as the govt will be checking record of employments when things settle down. 

I know this as I work at a bank and deal with Canadian tax authorities as well. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Trump Campaign Orders Red Face Masks

By  37 Comments

The Trump campaign has ordered red, Trump-branded face masks for supporters, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Campaign officials have discussed giving away the masks at events or in return for donations.

Not going to dig through the thread to find the (multiple?) times I predicted this would happen but...

We all knew this was coming, right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

IMO, the real issue is more people get denied funding than cheat the system.

The following data is very outdated, but that's because it's looking at the period when the infamous "welfare queens" were being demonized:

I quote this part out of a larger piece about this old story because this was the very period this public perception you mention was solidified.  Even at the height of the concern over so-called welfare fraud, the fraud wasn't that much AND there were more people being victimized by not getting what they deserved.

Are there cheats out there?  Of course.  Are there people out there who deserve benefits and aren't getting them.  Yep.  Guess which is worse in my mind.

I am not talking about welfare cheats, i am talking about in Canada and no one is being denied as no one is being checked right now ...a lot of people voluntarily quit their jobs to stay at home for 2000 dollars a month and they are going to be in a world of hurt when they find out they are not eligible for such money. 

It pretty much proves to me if we have UBI it would cause some people to not work. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Interesting you mention this.

Iowa tells workers to return to their jobs or lose unemployment benefits, despite warnings that reopening could lead to a 2nd wave of infections

As Iowa prepares to partially reopen on Friday, the state has told furloughed workers that they will lose their unemployment benefits if they refuse to return to work.

The Des Moines Register reported that businesses like restaurants, bars, retail stores, and fitness centers would be allowed to reopen at half capacity starting on May 1. Gov. Kim Reynolds said the 77 reopening counties either have no cases or are on a downward trend.

Iowa Workforce Development, a state agency that provides employment services for individual workers, said an employee's refusal return to work out of fear would be considered a "voluntary quit" — which would mean they could no longer receive unemployment benefits. The announcement applies to workers across the state.

Ryan West, the deputy director of Iowa Workforce Development, told Radio Iowa that there were some exceptions, such as workers diagnosed with COVID-19.

Iowa isn't the only state to be doing this.

Soooo... Show up to work even though you might have increased exposure (especially as some companies are blatantly disregarding health and saftey regs) or lose unemployment insurance if you don't.

As you say, people who "voluntarily quit" might lose their insurance.  But is it really 'voluntary' when they're concerned about their health in a pandemic?  I mean, I suppose so legally.  But if so, then the law is an ass, as a famous phrase goes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Um...

The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) gives up to $500 a week to workers who have stopped working because of COVID-19. This might be because:

• You've been let go or laid off from your job or your hours have been reduced to zero.
  • You're in quarantine or sick because of COVID-19.
  • You're away from work to care for others who are in quarantine or sick because of COVID-19.
  • You're away from work to care for children or other dependants whose daycare has closed because of COVID-19.

Issue is though the CERB is not for such people and the govt is going to be clawing back a lot of of money from people next year.

My point is a lot of people have sort of doomed themselves here...No job and will have to pay that money back.

I know what the requirements of the CERB are, I’m just saying many of the people who quit their jobs aren’t worrying about what will be clawed back later on, they’re just trying to survive for now.

Who am I to tell someone they should have to go to work if they feel they aren’t being properly protected at their job and don’t feel safe.

i understand what you’re saying, my only point is I don’t think the majority of the people who quit did so just to make more and sit at home. I’m sure some did though as you said. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I know what the requirements of the CERB are, I’m just saying many of the people who quit their jobs aren’t worrying about what will be clawed back later on, they’re just trying to survive for now.

Who am I to tell someone they should have to go to work if they feel they aren’t being properly protected at their job and don’t feel safe.

i understand what you’re saying, my only point is I don’t think the majority of the people who quit did so just to make more and sit at home. I’m sure some did though as you said. 

I think the issue is If X person goes to work for the same job that Y person quit...

Is it fair Person pay  for Person Y to stay home.... and if so for how long? Till Y feels safe... when is it Safe? When Person Y thinks so, or when the authorizes think so (as @Porthos showed american states returning very quick.

There is a going to be epic political shitstorm coming in a few months around this program. 

I have friends who are like quit their jobs and are like "i am not paying it back" 

Edited by Lordmandeep

The situation here is that a JobKeeper payment was created. It’s AUD1500 per fortnight before tax paid to the employer  who then has to pay that amount before tax to employees. It was backdated to the beginning of March and runs through to the end of September. This will be fairly straight forward for the Australian Tax Office to monitor as employers give monthly electronic statements to the ATO for the calculation of GST sales tax and also withhold income tax for their employees. The government even encouraged employers to rehire people they had let go before the announcement so as to keep more people connected to their employer. 

The unemployment benefit was renamed the JobSeeker Allowance and doubled to roughly $1100 per fortnight before tax and even higher if you have children. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

If we speak of cheats, let us look no further than the current batch of hedge fund managers, stock manipulators, real estate moguls, and the ninnyhammers running this whole boondoggle at the moment. 

Futurama Squinting GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

If we speak of cheats, let us look no further than the current batch of hedge fund managers, stock manipulators, real estate moguls, and the ninnyhammers running this whole boondoggle at the moment. 

100 cheaters in that area equal at least 10000 cheater of welfare 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Issue is as Porthos and I mentioned ...These people (banks and such) will be bailed out but people who voluntarily quit jobs or dont report to unsafe work places will lose benefits or have to repay them. 

Huge economic problems incoming. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Washington's stay at home order extended through May 31. Given the response in other areas where restrictions have been lifted, I can't say I see this as a problem.

I really like that Inslee has decided that "as few deaths as possible" is the right course. Keep people at home and keep them alive.

Money isn't real. People are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It’s a photoshop. 

You're talking about an unrelated incident. The tweet @grim22 posted seems to be have happened in llinois. This article is about a protest in Pittsburgh.

• Like 2

The company I work for shut down production for another 10 days after running for 3 weeks since the last shutdown. My unit is allowed to work for one day next week, because we are essential to the development of new products. I can already say goodbye to the 3/4th of my paid annual leave days and it's still 7 months remaining from the year. Salary is unchanged for now, but overtime is forbidden / limited. Anyone else working in the automotive industry? What are your experiences?

• Sad 2