DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

9 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

The author of that opinion piece is a partisan hack. If DeWine was a good leader he wouldn't have backed down on the mask requirement. The science says it is a good idea to wear one, and for shopping it is not some kind of crazy inconvenience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

My qualification is less about how a Democratic President would have responded and more about whether 50% of the country would have chosen to actively ignore the orders making it potentially worse.

Trump would get an F from me on response.  To say it is pathetic would be an understatement.

Fauci has said that one of W. health programs (can't remember which one) was the single most important program of the last century from a world health perspective.

Trump has been the littlelist of the little. So many Western leaders did poorly and he did worst of all. Some of that had to do with this needing to be a world response and right now their are alot of populist leaders that have a country first outlook.

AIDS with PEPFAR

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/President's_Emergency_Plan_for_AIDS_Relief

On 5/2/2020 at 7:49 AM, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days:

2396 Fri, May 1

1607 Sun

1835 Sat

Edit:

Testing increased by 10% from previous high. One city (Bombay) accounted for lot of of the new growth-new cases reported over last 5 days in Bombay - 522 728 597 583 1008 (May 1)

India, new cases last 10 days:

2567 Sat, May 2

1607 Sun

1835 Sat

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

Good god, what a brutal piece from beginning to end.  

125 paragraphs long and maybe a half dozen of them could be seen as favorable to the Administration.  If that many.

Just a devastating piece.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Some excerpts:

Some of Trump’s closest advisers rebutted on the record the suggestion that the pandemic response has been anything but successful.

“This is a historically new challenge, and we’ve really risen to the occasion,” Kushner said in an interview. “When history looks back on this, they’ll say, man, the federal government acted really quickly and creatively, they threw a lot at the problem and saved a lot of lives.”

Marc Short, chief of staff to Vice President Pence, exerted significant influence over the coronavirus task force, setting the agenda and determining seating arrangements for meetings as well as helping to orchestrate press briefings. Short also is one of the White House’s most vocal skeptics of how bad the pandemic would be. He repeatedly questioned the data being shared with Trump, and in internal discussions said he did not believe the death toll would ever get to 60,000 and that the administration was overreacting, damaging the economy and the president’s chances for reelection, according to people who have heard his arguments.

Day after day, Short pressed other officials to reopen the entire country, encouraging more risks to get the economy humming again. Short succeeded in pushing for Trump to resume travel, as Pence had done, over the objections of some officials, who argued that leaving Washington endangers the principals and their staffs. Trump plans to visit a mask manufacturing plant in Arizona on Tuesday.

Short aligned with Hassett, Kushner, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow, among others, who shared the belief that the economy had been shut down for long enough. A former senior administration official briefed on the internal dynamics described the consensus mind-set among this bloc as believing health officials were “like the school nurse trying to tell the principal how to run the school.”

The doctors group strove to present a unified front to the president on various medical and scientific issues. They recently discussed how antibody tests, designed to identify people with possible immunity from the virus, are not a panacea to reopening the country because the results sometimes are inaccurate.

“There’s a little bit of a God complex,” one senior administration official said of the group. “They’re all about science, science, science, which is good, but sometimes there’s a little bit less of a consideration of politics when maybe there should be.”

Trump has often touted a testing system created by Abbott that can run nearly 500 tests in 24 hours. But the vast majority of Abbott’s tests are going unused because of a shortage of materials and staff to run them, two senior administration officials said.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) said Trump was either confused about what is required to administer tests or deliberately glossing over the urgent problems.

“The truth of the matter is that the president doesn’t seem to understand the difference between testing capacity and getting testing results,” Pritzker said. “We don’t have the supplies to run those tests.”

In Wisconsin, for instance, Gov. Tony Evers (D) requested 60,000 plastic tips needed to store reagents and 10,000 testing swabs and numerous reagent kits from FEMA in late March. But by April 21, the day Pence visited Wisconsin to tout the administration’s pandemic response, Wisconsin had only received 2,800 tips and 3,500 testing swabs, according to Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Wis.).

And so on and so on and so on.  Didn't even get to the things like Trump's reluctance to embrace contact tracing, for instance.

Strongly recommend that folks read it from start to finish.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, cdsacken said:

No doubt. I'm going crazy but better safe than sorry. Before they extended I talked to all of my team. Only 1 of 11 wanted to go in. 4 were willing. 

I'm a bit stir-crazy, and I miss my friends, family, and co-workers. But I'm also willing to camp out for a year or more if needed.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ElsaRoc said:

I'm a bit stir-crazy, and I miss my friends, family, and co-workers. But I'm also willing to camp out for a year or more if needed.

I'll go insane if it it's that long. That or my child will kill me. Washington numbers have plummeted and testing is finally about to be in order. I don't see another extension coming without surge in numbers.

However if that happens I agree add as long as we need.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ElsaRoc said:

Washington's stay at home order extended through May 31. Given the response in other areas where restrictions have been lifted, I can't say I see this as a problem.

I really like that Inslee has decided that "as few deaths as possible" is the right course. Keep people at home and keep them alive.

Money isn't real. People are.

you know people need money to stay at home too you know....

-buy the groceries...pay the bills... etc...

Its like a fact people on this forum just forget about

Lock down people across America all you want but until people get more funds to stay at home the pressure will be on things to open up. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I can’t see this going well. 

“Missouri Governor Says Concerts Can Resume Monday“

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/9368428/missouri-concerts-resume-may-4-coronavirus

In this case I think local government officials, venue owners and the artists themselves will save the governor from a massive error in judgement. It would take someone really insane or out of touch to put on a live concert (and assume the liability) in the current situation. 

12 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

you know people need money to stay at home too you know....

-buy the groceries...pay the bills... etc...

Its like a fact people on this forum just forget about

Lock down people across America all you want but until people get more funds to stay at home the pressure will be on things to open up. 

No. Economics is an agreed upon fiction. Currency's purpose to make exchange of goods easier is good, but the position of money as paramount is not. 

Capitalism is broken. It does not work, and we should be looking at solutions to the problem of keeping people fed and with shelter without needlessly sacrificing people in the name of "restarting the economy" 

Want to keep the methods of exchange as they mostly are? Then just give people the money. Without restrictions. You get enough to survive. And you get enough to survive. And you get enough. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I can’t see this going well. 

“Missouri Governor Says Concerts Can Resume Monday“

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/9368428/missouri-concerts-resume-may-4-coronavirus

mosh pit glastonbury 2019 GIF by Glastonbury Festival
Kurt knew

With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious

• Like 1