DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Pompeo Backs Off Claims of Virus Origin

By  217 Comments

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo backed off claims there was “enormous” evidence the coronavirus came from a Wuhan lab, ABC News reports.

Said Pompeo: “There’s evidence that it came from somewhere in the vicinity of the lab, but that could be wrong.”

He added: “We’ve seen evidence that it came from the lab. That may not be the case.”

sO0wUTN.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

sO0wUTN.gif

"the vicinity of a lab" is such a great phrase.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

"the vicinity of a lab" is such a great phrase.

Tired: Within the vicinity of a lab.

Wired: but that could be wrong.

Rehired: seen evidence that it came from the lab

Galaxy level "just what ARE fingers, man" inspired: That may not be the case.

Just truly brilliant in its saying... literally absolutely nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Tired: Within the vicinity of a lab.

Wired: but that could be wrong.

Rehired: seen evidence that it came from the lab

Galaxy level "just what ARE fingers, man" inspired: That may not be the case.

Just truly brilliant in its saying... literally absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

Alright, Sherlock Holmeses:

Was Sundance a first Petri Dish for COVID19 in US?

Nearly all knew of others whose cases were comparable to theirs. One actor best known for his role in a major studio tentpole was "gravely ill," and members of his team also succumbed (he declined to speak on the record).

Whooooooo?!?

• Astonished 1

Apparently the US Embassy here leaked a 14 page “dossier” about the Wuhan lab claim that was mostly news clippings with no actual evidence to a Murdoch “journalist” here. She then went on Tucker Carlson so the whole story could be fed back into the US media so it looked like other countries also had evidence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2020 at 7:45 AM, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

3602 (84.8k) Wed, May 6

2971 (84.7k)

3656 (60.8k)

2676 (70.1k) Sun

2567 (73.7k) Sat

2396 (72.5k)

1801 (59.4k)

1703 (54.0k)

1902 (50.9k)

1568 (40.5k)

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

3344 (80.6k) Thu, May 7

3602 (84.8k)

2971 (84.7k)

3656 (60.8k)

2676 (70.1k) Sun

2567 (73.7k) Sat

2396 (72.5k)

1801 (59.4k)

1703 (54.0k)

1902 (50.9k)

• Like 2

Here we go. Australia’s roadmap out will be 3 stages. 

This is the staged process that will vary by state. The expectation is we will be in stage 3 in July. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Porthos said:

sO0wUTN.gif

Issue is many people believe the Chinese Lab theory, so the damage is done... 

A survey indicated 1 in 3 Canadians believe the Virus came from a Chinese Lab and i am sure its higher in America.

"One of the most popular conspiracy theories of the pandemic is that the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 was genetically engineered in a laboratory, possibly as a biological weapon. While just over half of those surveyed said they believe the virus occurred naturally, nearly a third said they believe it was created in a lab. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/coronavirus-conspiracy-theories-popular-canada-1.5542890

I have friends who are Masters Students and they been sending me Epoch Time videos lol 

Its a perfect conspiracy, people  are angry at China now, dont believe China and China has no interest in telling the Truth and have routinely lied around Corona and the conspiracy has some logic to it as theoretically a virus can come from a lab accidentally. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Cap said:

Alright, Sherlock Holmeses:

Was Sundance a first Petri Dish for COVID19 in US?

Whooooooo?!?

I mean, if you are asking me to be irresponsible...

That work includes narrative films starring Angelina Jolie, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tessa Thompson, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Will Ferrell, Anthony Hopkins, Olivia Colman, Glenn Close, Michael Keaton, Lena Waithe, Julianne Moore, Ana de Armas, Jude Law, Ella Balinska, David Oyelowo, and Anne Hathaway, among others; the directors who will be showing in Park City — some on repeat trips to the fest — include Dee Rees, Julie Taymor, Justin Simien, Alan Ball, Benh Zeitlin, and Viggo Mortensen, making his directorial debut.

"and his team" could certainly apply if it's talking about a director and his folks he brought with him as opposed to just general hangers on.

Again though.  Completely irresponsible here and for entertainment purposes only. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

But I do think the comparison between Germany and the US is fair, not just for all of the reasons you listed (that I snipped for brevity), but simply because I think it's fairer to compare large countries with large and not with smaller ones.

I don't know Germany as well as I should, but it does have a fair amount of rural/urban mix and should be large enough to have disparate hot spots.   That's one reason why I don't totally love the comparison with Belgium.  It's small enough that a couple of hotspots could disproportionately skew things.  It's also IMO why a comparison with the US versus both France and the UK are also fair game.  Especially as the US embarks on a different "strategy".

But more to your point, both Germany and the US did start late.  It's what they did afterwards that matters.  This gets back to my point I made back in mid-March: There is no perfect way to react to this. Everyone will make mistakes.  The key is to try to make as few mistakes as possible and for fracks sake don't try to intentionally make things worse.

The US was up to this point spared the relative pain that countries like the UK and France and Spain felt (on a per-capita basis, Spain is worse of than Italy).  However at the federal level at least, it squandered that that period and not only didn't smush the curve to the degree that places like Germany did, it didn't really prep for "Stage Two" so death wouldn't still be a large factor as the economy is opened-up.

In short, the US on an overall fatality viewpoint, did better than many places in "Stage One", but mostly due to state level heroics and perhaps plain old luck.   The situation doesn't look nearly as rosy for "Stage Two".

I did not disagree, I gave so many examples as they show details for how and maybe even why some rules got created, the conditions for loosening, but also the difference I guess to be there, like here we have actually communication structures between e.g. administration and organizations, that I do not see in the US, including the missing department in White House for pandemic situations. 

2 big differences, but yes, also some overlap in the situation, like the rural / urban mix, 16 states with their own rules, and especially if its about health and school and care... a rather high independence per state.

We have in the sum a way smaller area (137,847 sq mi vs 3,796,742 sq mi) and higher population density, but in general also varying weather conditions within the same country, varying general landscape based climate, like regions near sea-level and access to an ocean in the north, and mountains (alps...) with a rather other climate in the south. Not the same weather variations degree, but there are variations. Also,areas where traveling is very common, and areas were people prefer to stay more locally....

We also have regions with higher industrial air pollution and climatic health resort... 

It’s small in comparison (US is bigger roughly times 27.5) but still big enough to have regions clearly separate able see climate, rural, industrial .... 

We even have a big-ish metropolitan area (Rhin-Ruhr, population of ~ 11 millions, highly industrial) 

And its rather simple to calculate comparisons to the US population wise, take our numbers times 4, that’s all.  

Also here is a lot of comments about preparing for the next wave here, including details about what they need and want in hospitals, but also for other areas, including economy, school,...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It is getting a bit silly...

Dentist and optometrist have been closed for about 2 months now locally.

As a result people cant either get new glasses or fix glasses and therefore can't see properly or people are frankly just getting along with massive toothaches or delaying fixing cavities.

Like for example my new glasses broke because of a faulty design and as a result I'm using for 5 year old glasses and pretty much can't drive at night anywhere.

Like its fine for now but I wonder how long this is suppose to last.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Shanghai Disneyland Park Tickets Sell Out Fast For Re-Opening Day

The Middle Kingdom is eager to get back to the Magic Kingdom. Tickets for the Shanghai Disneyland theme park’s reopening on Monday have quickly sold out, demonstrating pent-up demand in China. The park had closed in January as the coronavirus outbreak was escalating, though the Shanghai Disney Resort resumedsome operations in March with a limited number of shopping, dining and recreational experiences available.

This week, Disney announced it would welcome guests again beginning May 11 and start selling tickets from 8AM local time today. Tickets for the first two days are already sold out, though contrary to some reports, it still appears possible to buy tickets through the rest of the week and next weekend. According to Reuters, Chinese third-party vendors Fliggy and MeiTuan said their allottments for Monday were sold out, while Fliggy said its tickets for May 11 and May 16 were gone within three minutes.

The first phase will see limited attendance and require advanced ticketing and reservations, social distancing in waiting lines, restaurants, ride vehicles and other facilities throughout the park, as well as increased frequency of sanitization and disinfection.

Guests must purchase dated admission tickets prior to their arrival, and Annual Pass holders must make a reservation for their visit date and time through the resort’s official online channels.

From Monday, the majority of Shanghai Disneyland’s attractions, rides, some shows and shopping and dining locations will resume operations, with controlled attendance. However, some interactive attractions and experiences, such as children’s play areas and theater shows will remain closed. Parades and nighttime spectaculars will also return at a later date. 

Guests will also be required to provide basic personal information including a China government ID card or valid travel document, undergo temperature screening and wear an approved mask during the entire visit (save for when eating). The park says the measures will continue to be reviewed as the situation warrants, and may be further adjusted.

😬😬😬

• Astonished 1

16 hours ago, doublejack said:

In the US, it is very much a mixed bag. In some areas, such as NY / NYC and New Orleans things are getting better. Overall the nation has plateaued in  the number of new cases and daily deaths, with a very slight trend down in the last week or so. That means that there are many areas trending upward to make up for the downward trend in NY.

Despite this, some pretty big chunks of the country are starting to open back up. Georgia. Texas. This isn't true everywhere. Michigan's governor just ordered an extension of her shelter in place order through May 28th. There are other states that will be closed through May as well.

I am expecting an uptick in the numbers toward the end of the month. Between states reopening and protests where social distancing and masks aren't being used, the virus spread will gain some steam. It seems like the major sports, theaters, etc are all planning to open or resume in late June or early July. I think those plans will go up in smoke as things unfold.

Thanks for the update! Really appreciated!:)

The Gau model increased again today. 185K deaths by Aug 4th is the mean projection.

https://covid19-projections.com/#view-projections

I do like how it shows each state (and each European country) with their current numbers, their mean number for Aug 4th and what that percentage increase is. Shows which states and countries they are expecting to see spike up again over the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Next weekend: Austria's gastronomy will be back in play, starting with May15 (ok, a lot of companies did take-away or even delivery but that's never the same, especially as drinks make up a big portion of net gains).

Rules will be as follows:

• opening hours 06:00-23:00 max (that's strict, no "last calls")
  • no drinking directly at the bar
  • groups of patrons must be separated by at least 1m
  • maximum 4 adults at one table (plus accompagnying kids) except when they're all from one household
  • indoors: patrons mustn't select their own tables, will have to be taken and seated by a waiter
  • waiters / barkeepers have to wear protective gear (plexiglass shields will be the nr1 choice I'd guess)

A lot more detailed rules apply but that's the most important ones. After nearly 2 full months of lockdown (since March17), some more normality is returning to our lives (to those that haven't died of hunger or thirst in the meantime, that is ...)

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 2

Another awful death toll in Sweden today. They passed the Netherlands for 6th highest per capita deaths in the world today (thought that might take another week).

if the Gau model's projections end up being accurate Sweden will be 2nd in the world in deaths per capita behind Belgium by August.

• Sad 2