DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

There's another factor.  We could have something of the reverse of 2016 where Biden is hypothetically declared the winner by EC while Trump is still leading the actual votes counted nationwide.  California is going to provide a shit ton of votes for both candidates.  But California easily has enough people in it to shift the popular vote total by a point or two once all votes are counted.

And it's this once all votes are counted which could rise to a "problem" as more and more states shift to mail in/absentee voting this November.  Enough so that....

It's a compelling read.  What brings it in to COVID discussion is that a lot of states might not be finalized or the totals counted aren't quite matching the "calls" yet and wouldn't for a couple of days.  Or even possibly a week in the case of very close contests.

Yet the media has slowly been training us to expect a finish by midnight Eastern.

And that could, and I do emphasize could, be a problem if there are delays in the count among other things.

===

I of course don't have much hope that "the media" will try to temper one of its bigger ratings night bonanzas with such ridiculous notions like "nuance" or the quaint idea that "uncertain times might just lead to delays in results being known".

No, I expect it to be a shit storm on one level or another.  If only because if it bleeds, it leads drama is fantastic for ratings and clicks.

Yeah. I agree. Hopefully they remember that every vote counts, and thanks to mail voting, states like Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida and CA can shift by a lot and take a week after the election to be finalized.

The biggest blunder they can do is declare a winner on election night if margins are too thin.

EDIT: Just realized this is irrelevant to Covid. Let's end this discussion here.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Great post from an immunology professor at Dartmouth.  Highly suggest reading the full thing.  Contains really practical information on minimizing risk to infection, infecting others and understanding the risks that come with various reopenings.

”The reason to highlight these different outbreaks is to show you the commonality of outbreaks of COVID-19. All these infection events were indoors, with people closely-spaced, with lots of talking, singing, or yelling. The main sources for infection are home, workplace, public transport, social gatherings, and restaurants. This accounts for 90% of all transmission events. In contrast, infections while shopping appear to be responsible for 3-5% of infections. (ref)

Importantly, of the countries performing contact tracing properly, only a single outbreak has been reported from an outdoor environment (less than 0.3% of traced infections). (ref)”

http://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Great post from an immunology professor at Dartmouth.  Highly suggest reading the full thing.  Contains really practical information on minimizing risk to infection, infecting others and understanding the risks that come with various reopenings.

”The reason to highlight these different outbreaks is to show you the commonality of outbreaks of COVID-19. All these infection events were indoors, with people closely-spaced, with lots of talking, singing, or yelling. The main sources for infection are home, workplace, public transport, social gatherings, and restaurants. This accounts for 90% of all transmission events. In contrast, infections while shopping appear to be responsible for 3-5% of infections. (ref)

Importantly, of the countries performing contact tracing properly, only a single outbreak has been reported from an outdoor environment (less than 0.3% of traced infections). (ref)”

http://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

This is very interesting and I do not dispute the findings. I think this reinforces why things like dining in restaurants and church services should not resume until the spread is under control. Movie theaters have less risk (talking shouldn't really be a thing) but there is cheering and other crowd noise throughout some films, like a big MCU release.

However, I think it is dangerous to minimize the risks of outdoor transmission. For example:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/coronavirus-italy-champions-league-atlanta-valencia-milan-bergamo-a9426616.html

16 minutes ago, doublejack said:

However, I think it is dangerous to minimize the risks of outdoor transmission. For example:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/coronavirus-italy-champions-league-atlanta-valencia-milan-bergamo-a9426616.html

well, while "outdoors" in the literal sense, this is not the "outdoors" we are talking about, usually ;)

events with a closely packed audience will not be possible for some months ... some football leagues are re-opening but without spectators.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

well, while "outdoors" in the literal sense, this is not the "outdoors" we are talking about, usually ;)

events with a closely packed audience will not be possible for some months ... some football leagues are re-opening but without spectators.

Well, yes and no. I get that this sense of outdoors for that match is not the same as going to the beach, running a trail or even going camping. I'm just trying to point out that outdoors = safe is a dangerous mindset because there are outdoor activities that have a risk of transmission.

Also, even if an outdoor activity like going to the beach is low risk on the surface, there may be aspects of it that do have risk... like you go to the beach and use a public restroom that everyone else is using.

Someone has to be very vigilant at all times if they want to avoid getting this virus.

Three patients at Children's Hospital Los Angeles who displayed symptoms similar to Kawasaki disease, a rare condition that can weaken blood vessels in children, have tested positive for antibodies against the novel coronavirus, indicating a potential link between the little-understood syndrome and the virus, according to a doctor who studies Kawasaki disease.

Recently, doctors in Los Angeles, New York and the United Kingdom have identified a condition called pediatric inflammatory multi-system syndrome, or PIMS, among children who have tested positive for antibodies against the novel coronavirus, Dr. Jacqueline Szmuszkovicz, a pediatric cardiologist at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, said in an interview.

https://news.yahoo.com/syndrome-similar-kawasaki-disease-linked-130038515.html

This has come up a few times over the past couple of weeks. At this point the evidence of a link is growing stronger, and now at least two children have perished from this complication. One in Michigan, and now one in New York. Cuomo stated today that there are 70+ known cases in NYC alone.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Well, yes and no. I get that this sense of outdoors for that match is not the same as going to the beach, running a trail or even going camping. I'm just trying to point out that outdoors = safe is a dangerous mindset because there are outdoor activities that have a risk of transmission.

Also, even if an outdoor activity like going to the beach is low risk on the surface, there may be aspects of it that do have risk... like you go to the beach and use a public restroom that everyone else is using.

Someone has to be very vigilant at all times if they want to avoid getting this virus.

Have you ever seen a (European) football (its older than the US football) international match?

They do sit (or stand) close, fall into the arms of complete stranger after a goal or cool situation, they thing and eat and drink very closley mashed together on the way to and back of the stadium,... In Italy I’ve seen kisses between strangers too (ever seen a really overjoyed Italian as a cliche?) 

If interested, fill in derby at YT or so, its partly war-like scenes even in the 2nd local liga / league

There is way more fresh air than in indoors, but its still enclosed partially too

I think a game in a stadium with fans is not comparable to 99% of the outdoor activities 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

More details:

The following is NOT satire, my friends:

(if the media won't play for some reason in the embedded tweet, click on the Twitter link to see it in all its "glory")

Edited by Porthos
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 4

Article on how American's chose to shelter in place largely before Politicians told them to.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-didnt-wait-for-their-governors-to-tell-them-to-stay-home-because-of-covid-19/

This is the second article i've seen on the topic of the American public modifying behavior before told to. Yesterday it was economic activity, today is mobility.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Article on how American's chose to shelter in place largely before Politicians told them to.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-didnt-wait-for-their-governors-to-tell-them-to-stay-home-because-of-covid-19/

This is the second article i've seen on the topic of the American public modifying behavior before told to. Yesterday it was economic activity, today is mobility.

The question is who were those people who stayed home?  Was it just those who could afford to stay home?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

The question is who were those people who stayed home?  Was it just those who could afford to stay home?

Bingo, the rest of us havent been able to

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

By "staying at home", I think they mean a decrease in movements... Even people who weren't able to work from home (yet) still could have cut down on normal socializing, weekend trips, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. and started sticking to absolute essentials like work, grocery stores and not much else.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2020 at 8:01 AM, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

3344 (80.6k) Thu, May 7

3602 (84.8k)

2971 (84.7k)

3656 (60.8k)

2676 (70.1k) Sun

2567 (73.7k) Sat

2396 (72.5k)

1801 (59.4k)

1703 (54.0k)

1902 (50.9k)

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

3339 (80.4k) Fri, May 8

3344 (80.6k)

3602 (84.8k)

2971 (84.7k)

3656 (60.8k)

2676 (70.1k) Sun

2567 (73.7k) Sat

2396 (72.5k)

1801 (59.4k)

1703 (54.0k)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

Just kinda realized that the USA is looking like in the near future it's gonna be the country that's hit hardest by all this. Does this mean if, say, other countries start to open up sooner than the USA, that film and TV productions are going to move to the countries that have recovered quicker?

11 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

By "staying at home", I think they mean a decrease in movements... Even people who weren't able to work from home (yet) still could have cut down on normal socializing, weekend trips, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. and started sticking to absolute essentials like work, grocery stores and not much else.

Actually saw their show when I was in Las Vegas a year before the attack. RIP.

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just kinda realized that the USA is looking like in the near future it's gonna be the country that's hit hardest by all this. Does this mean if, say, other countries start to open up sooner than the USA, that film and TV productions are going to move to the countries that have recovered quicker?

Other countries are already banking on that:

On 5/7/2020 at 11:49 AM, Eric Atreides said:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It's not gonna be a seamless transition, since there will still be issues of getting US actors/crew members to other countries and having them go through 14 days of quarantine (don't expect Falcon & Winter Soldier to start filming right away), and stuff that was already filmed in the US will likely still stay in the US for consistency's sake, but there's definitely gonna be a push for overseas filming for new projects whenever possible.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

It's not gonna be a seamless transition, since there will still be issues of getting US actors/crew members to other countries and having them go through 14 days of quarantine (don't expect Falcon & Winter Soldier to start filming right away), and stuff that was already filmed in the US will likely still stay in the US for consistency's sake, but there's definitely gonna be a push for overseas filming for new projects whenever possible.

Czech Republic is using testing to get the wait down, it says within the article that a test will be down before they fly and then within 72 hours of their arrival once that comes back negative they are good to go. So probably 3-5 days of quarantine rather than 14 at least in this case. 

• Like 2

A virologist talks about how he got COVID-19 and how it’s changed him. 

“ON 19 MARCH, I SUDDENLY HAD A HIGH FEVER and a stabbing headache. My skull and hair felt very painful, which was bizarre. I didn’t have a cough at the time, but still, my first reflex was: I have it. I kept working—I’m a workaholic—but from home. We put a lot of effort into teleworking at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine last year, so that we didn’t have to travel as much. That investment, made in the context of the fight against global warming, is now very useful, of course.“

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/finally-virus-got-me-scientist-who-fought-ebola-and-hiv-reflects-facing-death-covid-19

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1