google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Reckless coronavirus response could easily become another factor that corporations will use to make states compete against each other, like low taxes or anti-union laws; threatening to move your factories to another US city because a lockdown is bad for business,

How cultivating state competition for condition (that is always done by threatening to go somewhere instead of somewhere else or to simply close) bad for your business ?

31 minutes ago, Barnack said:

How cultivating state competition for condition (that is always done by threatening to go somewhere instead of somewhere else or to simply close) bad for your business ?

It was 

Reckless coronavirus response could easily become another factor that corporations will use to make states compete against each other, like low taxes or anti-union laws; [threatening to move your factories to another US city] [because a lockdown is bad for business,]

Not

Reckless coronavirus response could easily become another factor that corporations will use to make states compete against each other, like low taxes or anti-union laws; [threatening to move your factories to another US city because a lockdown] [is bad for business]

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

It was 

Then how: threatening to move your factories to another US city because a lockdown] [is bad for business] ?

People are losing their patience for staying home....

anti-lockdown protest will be more and more common and gaining more and more support  

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

anti-lockdown protest will be more and more common and gaining more and more support  

If people get infected at them they could become less in a crowd type too.

• Like 1

So Boris relaxed the rules slightly tonight in a national address, people can go outside as much as they like and sit in the park as long as social distancing is observed.

Meanwhile, I got so much vitamin D this weekend even ebola would be scared to come near me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@DeeCee @Jason

I don't see a link to the actual study in the article, and the article does not note the testing time period (I mention that because the period might have been different than originally planned).

And the article also notes, thankfully, that they realize the demographic skew present.

The antibody test did not look for active infection of COVID-19, but for the blood protein the body produces to fight the disease, which remains in the body after recovery from the virus. The number of positive cases indicates that .7 percent of those tested had already had the COVID-19 virus, whether they knew it or not.

Twenty-seven teams participated in the study, which included not only Major League Baseball players but ushers, ticket takers and hot dog vendors of all ages, races and genders. According to Bhattacharya, this study is also one of the first to include people living in dozens of cities across the country in its subject group. Anaheim had the highest infection rate, followed by the two New York teams — though Bhattacharya stressed that all of these teams recorded rates lower than the counties they play in. The subjects in the study were 60 percent male and 40 percent female.

While the study did include stadium staff, Bhattacharya says the respondents skewed toward a higher socioeconomic demographic than the general U.S. population.

If I can find the paper, I'll link it here.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah  people were visiting each other families giving zero fucks this weekend around me for mothers day.

My fiance and sister and brother in law came to see my parents but we sat 10 feet apart in the garage as its 5 degrees in mid may.🤣

Like people respect social distancing at least.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, AndyK said:

So Boris relaxed the rules slightly tonight in a national address, people can go outside as much as they like and sit in the park as long as social distancing is observed.

Meanwhile, I got so much vitamin D this weekend even ebola would be scared to come near me.

In your face covid

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcBt12_hgPpjGa7kKNmw6

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah  people were visiting each other families giving zero fucks this weekend around me for mothers day.

My fiance and sister and brother in law came to see my parents but we sat 10 feet apart in the garage as its 5 degrees in mid may.🤣

We did a social distance play date on Saturday. My daughter was so happy she cried hard when she had to leave. 

Today I tried to go to walk near the water. A thousand people where there so we decided to go elsewhere

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

ESPN's take:

Sixty of the 5,754 people in a study of the Major League Baseball employee population tested positive for coronavirus antibodies, a rate lower than what similar studies run in California found, the studies' authors said Sunday.

"I was expecting a larger number," said Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine at Stanford University, which ran the study. "It shows the value of doing the science as opposed to guessing."

The results of the study, which was held in mid-April, revealed a prevalence of COVID-19 antibodies in the MLB employee population of 0.7 percent -- a number adjusted to reflect testing accuracy. The survey showed that about 70% of those who tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies had been asymptomatic.

After volunteering to participate, MLB was chosen by Stanford to join the study, which will have no bearing on the league's ability to return to play as it prepares to offer a proposal to the players' association this week that will outline a plan to do so.

Twenty-six of MLB's 30 teams participated in the study, which sent out 10,000 test kits. Because of stay-at-home orders and other logistical complications, 5,754 of the tests, in which participants use a pin prick to draw blood and received almost immediate results, were completed. A total of 5,603 completed the tests and filled out a survey that accompanied it.

Men comprised 60% of the population and white people 80% -- numbers that don't necessarily reflect the nation and make extrapolating the findings problematic. Similarly, Bhattacharya said, the prevalence of white-collar workers among the MLB population could account for a prevalence rate lower than those found in different samples with tests done in Santa Clara County in Northern California and Los Angeles County in Southern California.

"There's a socioeconomic gradient where poorer populations are facing COVID infections at higher rates," Bhattacharya said.

Among those with COVID-19 antibodies in the MLB study, in the two weeks prior to the test:

• 2.7% had a fever

• 14% had a headache

• 8% had a cough (compared to 9% among those who tested negative)

• 0.9% had lost a sense of taste and smell

Bhattacharya said the study has not been peer-reviewed but that he plans to upload it to a preprint server for criticism as well as a medical journal to peer review.

Added Dr. Daniel Eichner, who runs the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory that helped arrange the study with MLB: "Being at the forefront of anything, if you're the first, people are going to come back and say why didn't you do this or that. ... If anything, it's been shown to be more robust."

The interest in the MLB study -- which is the largest coronavirus-related antibodies study in the United States -- prompted Bhattacharya to release it before a peer review.

"I've never gotten so many emails in my life about the results of a study before," he said. "There was a huge amount of public interest. I felt a responsibility not to wait."

Study participants took pictures of their results and sent them in along with the survey. Poor image quality and file problems made 136 of the results unverifiable. Those 136 were classified as negative results, according to the study.

The number of players involved in the study is unclear. The authors did not ask a question regarding the player population. The Arizona Diamondbacks returned the most samples, with 362, and four teams did not participate.

The results, Eichner said, is "a very solid nationwide study" that "will help contribute to making public health policy." He and Bhattacharya praised the league for its ability to gather such a large sample in a short window of time.

Between the MLB study, the California studies and one Bhattacharya plans to run in Mumbai, the hope is that seroprevalence studies -- or those that illustrate the number of those with COVID-19 antibodies -- help give a better understanding of the coronavirus.

"It's very clear," Bhattacharya said, "that the epidemic is still in the early stages throughout the country."

It is good to see Dr. Bhattacharya "reverse his priors" here in regards to his previous Santa Clara study, though he did try to massage it a bit in a bit I cut for brevity.  Can't help but wonder if having outside doctors as part of the study helped here.

Either way, hopefully the paper will be up soon for folks like @Jason and @The Panda to look over and see if it is as flawed as the Santa Clara one, or if there are marked improvements.

===

Still have the possible unreliability factor with this specific antibody test, but that's a whole other issue.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

We did a social distance play date on Saturday. My daughter was so happy she cried hard when she had to leave. 

Today I tried to go to walk near the water. A thousand people where there so we decided to go elsewhere

Yeah planning to.take my fiancee hiking later this month.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

It looks like the number of deaths in the US will be relatively small today. Like in many countries that doesn't mean much during the weekend but still, a new low since March would be cause for (minor) celebration.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

We finally conquered the walk around the whole lake behind our house with the kids (you walk down a forest path to it, so we never braved the whole thing before) - we now have them doing 3.3 miles with no complaint.

There's a covid silver lining...before, I'd have gotten complaints at the 1 mile mark:)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Porthos said:

"I was expecting a larger number," said Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, a professor of medicine at Stanford University, which ran the study. "It shows the value of doing the science as opposed to guessing."

Oh, the irony. 

The best (albeit very weak) evidence in the U.S. comes from the National Basketball Association. Between March 11 and 19, a substantial number of NBA players and teams received testing. By March 19, 10 out of 450 rostered players were positive. Since not everyone was tested, that represents a lower bound on the prevalence of 2.2%. The NBA isn’t a representative population, and contact among players might have facilitated transmission. But if we extend that lower-bound assumption to cities with NBA teams (population 45 million), we get at least 990,000 infections in the U.S. The number of cases reported on March 19 in the U.S. was 13,677, more than 72-fold lower. These numbers imply a fatality rate from Covid-19 orders of magnitude smaller than it appears.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-coronavirus-as-deadly-as-they-say-11585088464?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

People are losing their patience for staying home....

Rightfully so, depending on where you are.

Here in Canada a lot of people have reported that their local hospitals have never been more empty. The latest numbers came in from Alberta: 15 people are in ICU. 15 people out of 4.3 million.

People on social media are expressing their outrage (what else is new?) over seeing people at the park and beach and stuff. It's madness! They've all bought into this hysteria that's not necessary anymore.

Start re-opening. As long as we take the necessary precautions, it's gonna be okay.

• Like 2

I am slowing upping my flying and the whole thing is just sad. From the slow airports to closed restaurants to number of available flights. Surprisingly flights are fairly (70% or so) full and that's only due to the middle row being blocked.

I will say the no booze in first class is a kick in the balls. 

I would say the fear has mostly gone from people I think @JB33

Canada is an odd situation, the hospitals are well below expected models outside Quebec but people are dying in senior homes at very high levels.

The Eastern and Western and Norther Parts of the country have limited to hardly any new cases each day. Even in Ontario 90% of the cases are now in Toronto now. 

So its making a lot of people desensitized lately and completely ignoring all precautions which is worrying (no mask or social distancing). 

😖

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, grim22 said:

I'm not sure how high he was when he tweeted it or of his newborn has been giving him sleepless nights. This feels like another of his tweets he fired off without consulting anyone.

Musk tweets something really stupid;what else is new?

• Haha 1