DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

On 5/10/2020 at 8:47 AM, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

2952 (85.4k) Sat, May9

3339 (80.4k) Fri, May 8

3344 (80.6k)

3602 (84.8k)

2971 (84.7k)

3656 (60.8k)

2676 (70.1k) Sun

2567 (73.7k) Sat

2396 (72.5k)

1801 (59.4k)

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

4311 (85.8k) Sun, May 10

2952 (85.4k) Sat, May 9

3339 (80.4k) Fri, May 8

3344 (80.6k)

3602 (84.8k)

2971 (84.7k)

3656 (60.8k)

2676 (70.1k) Sun

2567 (73.7k) Sat

2396 (72.5k)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Bloody Victoria. 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Bloody Victoria. 

More than likely you can expect the same stats again after yesterday.

13 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Elon Musk has said some really stupid things about the coronavirus. He’s made dumb predictions and continues to spout conspiracy theories. 

However, given Tesla’s reopening plans and their experience with the Shanghai factory I don’t see why the Fremont factory can’t start up. It would probably be far safer for the employees then for a Walmart worker. 

Reveal hidden contents

I agree on that. Tesla factories are HUGE and they can enforce distancing and workers can wear PPE. That said there is some risk. One way to enable that would be if companies can get testing equipment with fast results. Even Anti-body tests for those who had gotten it earlier would help reasonably filter "safe" workers. 

its essential we reopen parts of economy that cannot operate remotely in some capacity. Otherwise we will be in deep trouble. Details have to be worked out to minimize risk. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2020 at 8:28 AM, cannastop said:

That like in Canada (if you are already on your unemployment money you cannot get the $2000 stimulus check at the same time and vice versa), if you receive the $2000 it will replace your unemployment insurance money demand if you started to receive it you need to wait for the EI to end to receive the stimulus check.

It make sense (those people are not necessarily poor obviously either, you had a job for a while to get unemployment money usually).

I feel I am missing something (because what describe there is probably quite similar all around the world), but this feel like made up outrage.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Barnack said:

That like in Canada (if you are already on your unemployment money you cannot get the $2000 stimulus check at the same time and vice versa), if you receive the $2000 it will replace your unemployment insurance money demand if you started to receive it you need to wait for the EI to end to receive the stimulus check.

It make sense (those people are not necessarily poor obviously either, you had a job for a while to get unemployment money usually).

I feel I am missing something (because what describe there is probably quite similar all around the world)

The issue is people who misuse the system are screwing themselves and the govt will go after them as they are 'easy targets'

As they wont get a job easily after this is over and they will have to pay them back or get other benefits or future benefits reduced. 

My logic is if you are young and healthy and you left your job over concerns over the virus, you should not be getting any money from the govt as thats unfair to everyone else who stayed working. Of course if you did so to take care of a sick or elder or were fired its a different story 

Edited by Lordmandeep

56 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

My logic is if you are young and healthy and you left your job over concerns over the virus, you should not be getting any money from the govt as thats unfair to everyone else who stayed working. Of course if you did so to take care of a sick or elder or were fired its a different story 

I think that already the case in Canada:

The CERB is available to workers who meet all of the following conditions:

• live in Canada and are at least 15 years old
  • stopped working because of COVID-19 or are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits
  • have not voluntarily quit their job
  • had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application.

But I imagine there was not much check made at first.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is people who misuse the system are screwing themselves and the govt will go after them as they are 'easy targets'

This is my first thought as well, better put measure to avoid illegal double dip that let people do it, and hit them on there 2021 tax report for them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Got the dog!

My wife got "ours" last year ... well, it is more work than she thought it would be :) but horribly cute

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 2

Don’t think this has been posted

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2020/05/08/mark-cuban-hires-secret-shoppers-to-investigate-safety-protocols-at-dallas-area-restaurants-and-stores/

Mark Cuban hires ‘secret shoppers’ to investigate safety protocols at Dallas-area restaurants and stores

Cuban hired a team of “secret shoppers” to visit Dallas restaurant and retail establishments over the first week of re-opening and to report back on how businesses were handling safety protocols.

“It’s not good,” said the headline on his Blog Maverick website.

According to the data supplied by Shiftsmart, the company Cuban contracted, approximately 96 percent of the businesses visited were “non-compliant across all mandatory protocols and all locations.” Cuban said he plans to repeat the study in a couple of weeks.

Cuban said Shiftsmart contacted approximately 1,000 businesses to determine re-open rates, and that only 36 percent of those re-opened. Shiftsmart employees then made physical visits to approximately 300 businesses.

The findings from the website:

* Approximately one-third of all locations were less than 50 percent compliant across the mandatory protocols. No businesses or brands were specifically named, but among those in the less-than-50 percent category were a steakhouse chain, a footwear chain, a home goods chain and a women’s apparel chain.

* On average, approximately 60 percent of protocols were followed. Among the biggest “violations” were no special hours for at-risk groups, no contactless payment option and the lack of single-use condiments. Those protocols that were most highly adhered to were no items on empty tables, no groups of six or more, separation between tables, and employees wearing masks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

My wife got "ours" last year ... well, it is more work than she thought it would be :) but horribly cute

Yep gonna be a ton of work. Wife will take the brunt as I go back to work in 3 weeks. I really wanted a 1 year old but she really wanted a puppy. You can see who won.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I agree on that. Tesla factories are HUGE and they can enforce distancing and workers can wear PPE. That said there is some risk. One way to enable that would be if companies can get testing equipment with fast results. Even Anti-body tests for those who had gotten it earlier would help reasonably filter "safe" workers. 

its essential we reopen parts of economy that cannot operate remotely in some capacity. Otherwise we will be in deep trouble. Details have to be worked out to minimize risk. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I love tesla but its better to negotiate rather than go at war with county considering Governor and Mayor of fremont are on their side. This is something that should be handled by Strong NO: 2 (COO or Chief Legal Counsel etc) instead of by Musk. Plus please break Musk's phone and keep him off twitter for few weeks 

• Like 3

So... looking very likely all my classes will be online until Christmas. Now I don't know whether it's worth getting my own place near the school, or just live with one of my parents or extended family out of town to save $

• Like 1

This sort of goes against what they’re asking

• Haha 4

Opening up America. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Wonder if Musk viciously attacked Communist Party officials in Shanghai, or reopened his factory there against their local regulation. Probably not, he shot propaganda videos for them instead. I guess he only breaks the law in countries even more corrupt, where he is sure nothing bad will happen to him.

But I'm sure workers in California will be safe and if any of them gets infected, Musk will claim it didn't happen in his factory. After all, he has become an expert in infectious diseases and cares so much about the safety of his employees:

In the years since, Tesla has faced increasing scrutiny over its labor record. State regulators investigated revelations that officials may have suppressed injury statistics at the Fremont plant; a probe confirmed underreporting, and Tesla was separately fined for safety hazards at a "tent" production line. Auto unions have alleged that Tesla suppressed organizing efforts, which an administrative law judge concurred with last year; Tesla has challenged that conclusion.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Musk is pretty much called the cali govt bluff as they really wont do much as they fear of the factory scaling down or leaving in the long term to texas.

Pretty much its worrying as big business may start to bully to govt to make decisions on economics then science.

As I said the lockdown becomes more ineffective the longer it lasts unless there is teeth behind it.

Edited by Lordmandeep