DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

I don't post much here but I hope everyone in this forum is safe and doing fine. I really miss tracking the BO and going to the cinema. Last movie I watched before lockdown in cinemas was 'Little Women' but during quarantine I had time to catch up with movies like 'Sonic', 'Onward', 'Birds of Prey' or 'The Invisible Man' and I quite liked all of them. 

I live in The Netherlands and cinemas here are re-opening on the 1st of June with limited capacity and they are playing a mix of new movies (Onward, The Invisible Man) and "old" movies (Harry Potter, Interstellar) so I might go if cases here continue to decline and if I feel safe going. Also finally could book a plane ticket to go back home (Spain) for early July, I am a student living abroad so because of this situation I couldn't go back home until things cleared out a bit. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

"An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death," reads a disclaimer on the Disney World website.

It concludes: "By visiting Walt Disney World Resort, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19."

It is what soulless corporations are worried about at the moment (and some corrupt politicians want to grant them complete immunity from lawsuits), but is that shit even legal today?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is what soulless corporations are worried about at the moment (and some corrupt politicians want to grant them complete immunity from lawsuits), but is that shit even legal today?

I imagine many mom-pop little place could also be worried about that at the moment.

The fact that they put disclaimer like that tend to not matter legally (at least in many jurisdiction, disclaimer are only good for if your break material things, not health hazard-injury and legal contract when we are talking minors like a park for kids get even mudder, did they actually had read it, did they understood it and so on).

But yes I would imagine that a customer that goes in a grocery store right now, they do implicitly  assume all the risk related to exposure to COVID-19 as long as minimal reasonable care was made by the grocery store, THR had an article about it making the to how stupid parallel for a baseball fan to sue for being hit by a foul ball:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/will-baseball-rule-apply-reopening-movie-theaters-theme-parks-1295031

If they do not keep up with reasonable practices and show a lack of care, they could still be open to a lawsuit regardless of a message on tickets, but if people contracted covid (or the flu or AIDS) in a reasonable way (like someone getting hit by a baseball from a place on the stand where it would be unreasonable to have a net there) you cannot obviously win in court.

It will be disputed but that is probably close to the consensus:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/businesses-dont-need-special-immunity-from-coronavirus-liability-mitch-mcconnell-is-wrong-about-a-coming-avalanche-of-frivilous-lawsuits-2020-05-01

A lawsuit for getting covid at your grocery store or to the city by using their bus will probably be considered frivolous.

Has for the law you are talking about that sound like a fake news, I really doubt that any politician is trying to grant complete immunity, it would be an enhanced protection against lawsuit for company that actually follow defined health and safety guidelines, it is not an immunity it is a clear ruleset to make it possible to run a business with a reduced fear of a lawsuit if you follow a strict protocol (say if an employer had a measure that all employee took their temp every morning, were able to not go to work over X temp, had either 6 foot of distance or a mask and so on).

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I would assume that Disney is on the safe side as long as sensible procedures are followed (distancing, masks, ventilation ...)

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Has for the law you are talking about that sound like a fake news, I really doubt that any politician is trying to grant complete immunity, it would be an enhanced protection against lawsuit for company that actually follow defined health and safety guidelines, it is not an immunity it is a clear ruleset to make it possible to run a business with a reduced fear of a lawsuit if you follow a strict protocol (say if an employer had a measure that all employee took their temp every morning, were able to not go to work over X temp, had either 6 foot of distance or a mask and so on).

If McConnell spends so much time and energy trying to get some immunity law passed, it won't be something symbolical or useless. It is his #1 priority and the Disney and Walmart lobbyists who would write such a law know exactly what they need:

Obviously it is a difficult issue but the question is: who will write this "strict protocol", and who will make sure they are strictly followed: Trump appointees? See the current Secretary of Labor, who couldn't care less about the safety of workers. The last thing needed at the moment is to make corporations feel less concerned about the coronavirus.

3 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

I would assume that Disney is on the safe side as long as sensible procedures are followed (distancing, masks, ventilation ...)

Here are 6 key things to know before arriving at Disney Springs:

Temperature screenings prior to entry: Anyone displaying a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher will be directed to an additional location for rescreening and assistance; those who again measure 100.4 degrees or higher will not be allowed entry, nor will those in their party.

Face coverings required for Guests ages 3 and up: Face masks are required for guests 3 and older, cast members, and third-party operating-participant employees. Masks must be worn at all times, except while eating.

Limited parking and reduced entrances: Guests will be directed to self-park in the Orange and Lime Garages. All surface lots will be closed.

Physical distancing practices including physically-distanced queues and physical barriers: To maintain appropriate physical distancing throughout Disney Springs during this initial phase, ground markings are in place when queuing is necessary. Physical barriers will be in select places where it’s difficult to maintain physical distancing.

Temporary operation modifications: Disney Springs will limit the number of guests visiting the property, as well as within each location. Hours will be reduced at select locations and no scheduled entertainment offerings or high-touch interactive areas will be open. 

An increased focus on disinfecting and sanitation: Additional hand-washing stations and hand sanitizers can be located in key areas throughout Disney Springs. 

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

If McConnell spends so much time and energy trying to get some immunity law passed, it won't be something symbolical or useless. It is his #1 priority and the Disney and Walmart lobbyists who would write such a law know exactly what they need:

It is really phrased strangely, the immunity is dependant on employer actually having put measure in place, and it is about making it harder to sue not impossible to do so, gross negligence and misconduct will still be open to legal action.

Like your article say:

First, there is no tsunami of litigation coming to engulf the country. As a matter of law, it’s already extremely difficult for workers or consumers to succeed with tort claims. In most states, as long as a business shows that it followed regulations or guidelines, or even just took common-sense precautions, it will usually prevail. Mr. McConnell has said he doesn’t want to grant immunity to businesses that are grossly negligent or engage in willful misconduct, but that’s a very high bar to clear.

The demands being debated include making it harder to claim that a business is at fault for a worker’s or customer’s infection, protecting businesses that are making personal protective equipment like masks for the first time, and protecting employers against privacy lawsuits if they disclose a worker’s infection.

It is also about not having to fight case that they would win.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Sure why not? If you get covid you shouldn't have went to dworld in may.

• Like 1

It is getting better in Europe and North America, but that doesn't mean the pandemic is ending any time soon:

The World Health Organization gave a stark warning on Wednesday that the coronavirus pandemic is far from over, after 106,000 new cases were recorded worldwide over the past 24 hours – the most in a single day so far.

Speaking in Geneva, the WHO’s director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said the virus was spreading in poorer countries, just as wealthier nations were emerging from lockdown.

“We still have a long way to go in this pandemic. We are very concerned about rising cases in low- and middle-income countries,” he said.

The infection rate has been growing rapidly in Latin America, with Brazil becoming the country with the third most confirmed cases after it surpassed the UK on Tuesday.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/20/2020 at 8:55 AM, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

3736 (92.9k) Fri, May 15

3940 (92.8k) Thu, May 14

3726 (94.7k) Wed, May 13

3562 (85.9k) Tue, May 12

3592 (64.7k) Mon, May 11

4311 (85.8k) Sun, May 10

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

5547 (108.1k) Wed, May 20

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

3736 (92.9k) Fri, May 15

3940 (92.8k) Thu, May 14

3726 (94.7k) Wed, May 13

3562 (85.9k) Tue, May 12

3592 (64.7k) Mon, May 11

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is getting better in Europe and North America, but that doesn't mean the pandemic is ending any time soon:

Personally, I'm not listening to a word the WHO says.