DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

42 minutes ago, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

5547 (108.1k) Wed, May 20

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

3736 (92.9k) Fri, May 15

3940 (92.8k) Thu, May 14

3726 (94.7k) Wed, May 13

3562 (85.9k) Tue, May 12

3592 (64.7k) Mon, May 11

It's good seeing the testing capacity expand, but the positives keep hovering around 5%, so still far from satisfying.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

why so, are they not qualified enough in the medical field?

I'll do everyone on this forum a favor and not get into that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
37 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

why so, are they not qualified enough in the medical field?

It's their fault if some political leaders read about the WHO declaring the highest alert warning back in January, then did nothing for weeks. The WHO should have created an even higher level of alert.

8e3fd0_702eda3f12e147f2bcdf3d20071f7a95~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
15 hours ago, Barnack said:

Here are 6 key things to know before arriving at Disney Springs:

Temperature screenings prior to entry: Anyone displaying a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher will be directed to an additional location for rescreening and assistance; those who again measure 100.4 degrees or higher will not be allowed entry, nor will those in their party.

Face coverings required for Guests ages 3 and up: Face masks are required for guests 3 and older, cast members, and third-party operating-participant employees. Masks must be worn at all times, except while eating.

Limited parking and reduced entrances: Guests will be directed to self-park in the Orange and Lime Garages. All surface lots will be closed.

Physical distancing practices including physically-distanced queues and physical barriers: To maintain appropriate physical distancing throughout Disney Springs during this initial phase, ground markings are in place when queuing is necessary. Physical barriers will be in select places where it’s difficult to maintain physical distancing.

Temporary operation modifications: Disney Springs will limit the number of guests visiting the property, as well as within each location. Hours will be reduced at select locations and no scheduled entertainment offerings or high-touch interactive areas will be open. 

An increased focus on disinfecting and sanitation: Additional hand-washing stations and hand sanitizers can be located in key areas throughout Disney Springs. 

Sounds great.

Have you been to a Disney Park ( or Disney Springs in this case )?

With 1000s in these spaces it is absolutely impossible to maintain social distancing.

DW is in a huge and isolated from the city and vacationers rely on buses to get to the parks.

Limiting parking and hours just concentrates the crowds.

No one is wearing masks in June in Florida all day...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Personally, I'm not listening to a word the WHO says.

Read the WHO situational report from Jan and then tell me the WHO did not give plenty of warning of what was coming...

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

It gets old people blaming everyone but themselves and their governments for what has happened.

Anyone with half a brain that kept up with the expects knew how bad this could be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, George Parr said:

What exactly does that have to do with "the liberals"?

I'm referring to the Liberal government in Canada. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Read the WHO situational report from Jan and then tell me the WHO did not give plenty of warning of what was coming...

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

It gets old people blaming everyone but themselves and their governments for what has happened.

Anyone with half a brain that kept up with the expects knew how bad this could be.

That's not even what I'm getting at.

Like I said, I'm not going to get into it. Shouldn't have even said anything in the first place so my bad.

1 hour ago, AndyLL said:

I guess people remembered ...

https://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/

and yawned when the next warning came along.

• Thanks 1

European countries are doing all they can do to save the summer season. Obviously the touristic sector is very important economically but in the middle of a pandemic, it still seems slightly optimistic/reckless to get rid of borders and quarantine so soon. But perhaps it can work, if tourists are willing to endure and respect social distancing.

The boss of Europe’s busiest airport, Heathrow in the UK, has told the BBC that a new thermal screening trial for arriving passengers “could be part of a future common international standard to get people flying again.”

John Holland-Kaye, who heads up Europe’s busiest airport, said the “mismatch of measures” currently in place across different countries was confusing. He also backed the idea of “air bridges” allowing travel between countries with lower infection levels to help stimulate the tourism industry. He said:

"There is no perfect way to make sure only healthy people fly at this stage, so we have to take a risk-based approach. As the level of transmission comes down in the UK and in other countries, we need to find a way that the vast majority of people who don’t have a disease can still fly."

Locking this thread as the virus went away in April and it’s all over now. 

Thank you to all those who contributed. 

Edit:I don’t care anymore. 

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, AndyLL said:

I know we debated this to death but I think we need to stop pretending the WHO does not deserve some criticism... 

I think the best way to describe many peoples opinion around the WHO is they went from being very well trusted to not as trusted as before  (only a few would not listen to them at all right now) and that is mostly due to bad communication from the WHO on the issue of masks and being able to get reinfected...Not that they undersold the virus... it was more their guidance on mitigation steps that was communicated very badly. 

Now there is a lot of hypocrisy from some here as you guys would rake national and local government over the coals for bad communications but for some reason give the WHO a hard pass. Which is odd and my logic is that is driven by purely partisan reasons. 

I would say the WHO guidance around masks is what i think "is the straw that broke the camels back" and  around Corona to some. As many world governments and experts have sort of gone against what they have had to say.

So JB is saying is the government of Canada was 100% following the WHO guidance a few months ago, but it seems many governments are no longer following WHO guidance fully. Which then makes me wonder do they trust the WHO fully right now? 

Of course National governments are mostly to blame but can we stop pretending the WHO is perfect either and when this is over for the benefit of us all a whole top to bottom review needs to take place of Governments pandemic plans and the WHO. 

Why does everything have to be so binary? 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I know we debated this to death but I think we need to stop pretending the WHO does not deserve some criticism... 

I think the best way to describe many peoples opinion around the WHO is they went from being very well trusted to not as trusted as before  (only a few would not listen to them at all right now) and that is mostly due to bad communication from the WHO on the issue of masks and being able to get reinfected...Not that they undersold the virus... it was more their guidance on mitigation steps that was communicated very badly. 

Now there is a lot of hypocrisy from some here as you guys would rake national and local government over the coals for bad communications but for some reason give the WHO a hard pass. Which is odd and my logic is that is driven by purely partisan reasons. 

I would say the WHO guidance around masks is what i think "is the straw that broke the camels back" and  around Corona to some. As many world governments and experts have sort of gone against what they have had to say.

So JB is saying is the government of Canada was 100% following the WHO guidance a few months ago, but it seems many governments are no longer following WHO guidance fully. Which then makes me wonder do they trust the WHO fully right now? 

Of course National governments are mostly to blame but can we stop pretending the WHO is perfect either and when this is over for the benefit of us all a whole top to bottom review needs to take place of Governments pandemic plans and the WHO. 

Why does everything have to be so binary? 

I'd agree with this. WHO definitely deserves criticism. So do the leaders and politicians of almost every Western country.

But to say something like 'I don't listen at all' is an ignorant statement. in these situations everyone makes mistakes - we are all human. Do we learn from those mistakes is in some ways more important than making them in the first place.

As my wife likes to say, "I wish the science was further along", I think everyone would agree with that and unfortunately science takes time, you can only speed it up so much. So hypotheses are going to be wrong. You figure that out and move on and as your data gets better and your understanding deepens you are more accurate. The ironic thing is as we go along we should listen more rather than less to the experts as their understanding deepens and so they are likely to be giving better recommendations later on than earlier.

I have alot more faith right now in the knowledge of the experts than I did 2 months ago, beause they have learned alot they didn't know. They still aren't going to be perfect, but they are likely to be better in their predictions and recommendations. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I just had the call. 

I’m back to work on Monday for the first time since the end March. 

I head back to the office for 3-4 days a week rest remote on June 1st

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Your comment would make sense if there were any people who state that the WHO has been perfect and that any criticism of it is not warranted, but that isn't the case at all.

Why do you ask "why does everything have to be so binary?" when the position you speak of isn't held by anyone?

That's simply entering strawman territory. Absolutely no one has given the WHO a pass. There have been those who ignore the good stuff the WHO has done and blow the bad stuff way out of proportion, and there are those who say "they have made mistakes, but they have also done plenty of good stuff, and many criticisms don't fit to what they actually have done". There are none who hold the opposing view to those who bash the WHO to the extreme.

21 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Disney's currently accepting reservations beginning July 1 which I suspect will be the day they plan to officially reopen but if Disney Springs is already open (and attracting a large amount of customers) they'll move up the date.

Article on Sweden announcing that testing suggests 7.3% of people in Stockholm have antibodies. Not too far off of other places. No great higher level of coverage due to not officially shutting down.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/health/sweden-herd-immunity-coronavirus-intl/index.html

Edited by RamblinRed
  • Thanks 1

Interesting study by 4 economic reasearchers at UCLA who were looking to untangle the direct effects of stay at home orders on unemplayment claims.

Overall they found that the stay at home orders were responsible for roughly 25% of unemployment claims. The rest of the claims were due to more indirect effects like lost consumer confidence, supply chain disruptions and self-imposed social distancing. As part of their analysis they looked for anticipation effects but didn't find any noticeable ones.

The policy implication from this is that just 're-opening' whether in the US or elsewhere is unlikely to bring back most of the economic activity (ie. you would expect about a 25% rise), but that a full economic recovery is dependent upon dealing with the pandemic. Otherwise the other factors keep you from having a stronger recovery. 

https://voxeu.org/article/unemployment-effects-stay-home-orders

• Like 2