DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Yeah "reopening" a state economy isn't as easy as a governor declaring it has to happen.

Georgia's new jobless claims have been going up and down since the state reopened, rising to 243,000 two weeks ago before dipping to 177,000 last week. The state cited new layoffs in the retail, social assistance and health care industries for the continued high rate of jobless claims that have put it ahead of other states in the proportion of its workforce that has been sidelined.

Georgia, which began pushing to resume economic activity on April 24, presents an early reality check as the White House amps up pressure on governors to lift shutdown orders and President Donald Trump’s economic advisers predict jobless claims will nosedive after the reopening. The state’s persistent unemployment numbers suggest that government restrictions aren’t the only cause of skyrocketing layoffs and furloughs — and that the economy might not fully recover until consumers feel safe.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

random mandatory testing

seems like a bad idea as long as the virus is not more widely spread - in all probability this will give you more false positives than correct positives.

More sensible to use your testing capacity for a) cases where you have already indication that they may be positive (symptomes and/or contact tracing), and b) critical workforce like health services - which should be tested completely and repeatedly.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Some people are calling for random mandatory testing here in ontario of people but it seems a lot of people are not cool with that here.

Cant imagine in the USA.

Whatever happens here, I know this much is true...

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

Whatever happens here, I know this much is true...

You deserves to have a lead like Jair Bolsonaro, so you'll know what a truly awful lead is. Jesus. Some people really don't know the privileges that they have in having a (if not great) at least decent lead.

Edited by The Horror of Lucas Films
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Australia’s JobKeeper program will now cost $70 billion instead of $130 billion. Yes, $60 BILLION less then expected. The original $130 billion estimate by treasury assumed the economy would take a bigger hit and 6 million people would be eligible. Instead it’s only looking like 3.5 million people. Below is the best explanation of what happened. Most media reports are clueless. 

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

You deserves to have a lead like Jair Bolsonaro, so you'll know what a truly awful lead is. Jesus. Some people really don't know the privileges that they have in having a (if not great) at least decent lead.

thats actual one of the biggest side effects of trump and such... 

They are such crazy leaders, mediocre and rather below average leaders get a pass in many other countries. 

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Oh man. It's so sad what Trump has done to you Americans. So, so blind to anything else.

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Oh man. It's so sad what Trump has done to you Americans. So, so blind to anything else.

No doubt he's permanently ruined the country in 4 years.

• Like 1
On 5/18/2020 at 7:55 AM, AndyK said:

Its behind a paywall but if you look at his related tweet he's quoting this study...

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.27.20081893v2

Not peer reviewed but then not much is peer reviewed concerning this outbreak.

The study establishes that it's possible for the herd immunity threshold to be lower if the population is sufficiently heterogenous, but doesn't make a convincing argument that that is in fact the case - which to their credit, they acknowledge. I think it's a big stretch to actually conclude (they only suggest the possibility) that the virus petered out naturally in places like NY and Lombardy, when it's quite clear that R was only appreciable reduced after the social distancing measures were in place.

Sorry for the late reply, I was busy that day and then I forgot until today.

8 hours ago, AndyK said:

Research suggests exposure to the Common cold Coronavirus might confer some immunity to Covid-19.

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30610-3

Might also mean exposure to Covid-19 does not lead to antibodies in some people and they don't suffer symptoms.

Assays of T-cell reactivity are bit tricky because they often can't distinguish between pre-existing effector T cells from memory T cells. The former group exists not because of a prior infection, but rather because our immune cells are randomly generated to be able to respond to many different antigens. Memory T cells exist because of prior infection, which is an important distinction because they respond much more quickly and therefore confer immunological memory, while the pre-existing effector T cells do not.

That said, the particular assay used by this group of researchers relied on stimulating the cells for only 24 hours so I think that would protect against that issue. As they acknowledged though, the value of presumably cross-reactive T-cells is unknown at this time since there are no pre-exposure blood cells for the COVID-19 patients.

Pre-existing cross-reactive memory T-cells could certainly help a person respond to an infection - but I don't think it would cause them to not develop antibodies. T-cells actually help the B-cells (antibody producing cells) respond by presenting antigens to them, so I would generally expect the opposite.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, JB33 said:

This is so very off-topic, but the post by @The Horror of Lucas Films implies that he's Brazilian, not American? In any case, he was complaining about Bolsonaro, so I don't know why you responded by talking about Trump.

• Like 7

This looks pretty definitive. Chloroquine is not an answer.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

Findings

96 032 patients (mean age 53·8 years, 46·3% women) with COVID-19 were hospitalised during the study period and met the inclusion criteria. Of these, 14 888 patients were in the treatment groups (1868 received chloroquine, 3783 received chloroquine with a macrolide, 3016 received hydroxychloroquine, and 6221 received hydroxychloroquine with a macrolide) and 81 144 patients were in the control group. 10 698 (11·1%) patients died in hospital. After controlling for multiple confounding factors (age, sex, race or ethnicity, body-mass index, underlying cardiovascular disease and its risk factors, diabetes, underlying lung disease, smoking, immunosuppressed condition, and baseline disease severity), when compared with mortality in the control group (9·3%), hydroxychloroquine (18·0%; hazard ratio 1·335, 95% CI 1·223–1·457), hydroxychloroquine with a macrolide (23·8%; 1·447, 1·368–1·531), chloroquine (16·4%; 1·365, 1·218–1·531), and chloroquine with a macrolide (22·2%; 1·368, 1·273–1·469) were each independently associated with an increased risk of in-hospital mortality. Compared with the control group (0·3%), hydroxychloroquine (6·1%; 2·369, 1·935–2·900), hydroxychloroquine with a macrolide (8·1%; 5·106, 4·106–5·983), chloroquine (4·3%; 3·561, 2·760–4·596), and chloroquine with a macrolide (6·5%; 4·011, 3·344–4·812) were independently associated with an increased risk of de-novo ventricular arrhythmia during hospitalisation.

Interpretation

We were unable to confirm a benefit of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, when used alone or with a macrolide, on in-hospital outcomes for COVID-19. Each of these drug regimens was associated with decreased in-hospital survival and an increased frequency of ventricular arrhythmias when used for treatment of COVID-19.

• Thanks 2
On 5/21/2020 at 10:20 AM, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

5547 (108.1k) Wed, May 20

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

3736 (92.9k) Fri, May 15

3940 (92.8k) Thu, May 14

3726 (94.7k) Wed, May 13

3562 (85.9k) Tue, May 12

3592 (64.7k) Mon, May 11

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

6024 (103.5k) Thu, May 21

5547 (108.1k) Wed, May 20

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

3736 (92.9k) Fri, May 15

3940 (92.8k) Thu, May 14

3726 (94.7k) Wed, May 13

3562 (85.9k) Tue, May 12

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Horror of Lucas Films is Brazillian. Why do you think he's even talking about Bolsonaro in the first place? I get your entire personality is "grr liberals bad", but at least try to do a hint of research on a guy before you make fun of them

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would say one positive of opening up is that it encourages people with 'other' health issues to go to the hospital.

I have a sense a lot of people may end up dying or getting badly sick from not getting random tingles and pains and bumps checked out which they would have normally.

It is fine if people ignore them for a few weeks or a month but for 1,2,3,4-6 mths oof.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

First time we’ve been able to go out as family in months (besides walking ). I’m currently doing the drive through tour at the Toronto Zoo ( I don’t want to debate merits of zoos btw) I’m just happy I’m able to get the kids out for an hour or so, they’re happy to be here. 

• Like 2