DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

45 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

That is messed up that stores are turning people away for WEARING masks. 

We gotta fight back against the hoax disease that will magically disappear the day after the election. Thanks, Eric Trump!

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

It’s unusual to see anyone wearing a mask here. 

I wore one when I would go to the supermarket last month, but now that things have calmed down with new cases I’ve stopped. I assume people have similar reasoning in Australia, with cases being way down from a month or two ago. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We gotta fight back against the hoax disease that will magically disappear the day after the election. Thanks, Eric Trump!

Stupidity must be hereditary in the Trump family. 

2 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Stupidity must be hereditary in the Trump family. 

That's hardly brand new information at this point but that's another story heh.

• Like 1

The virus definitely isn't a hoax. That's prepostrous. 

I do however believe some folks are a little too paranoid about it. Emphasis on the word some, though, because almost everyone in my community at least are rarin' to get out. Doesn't seem to be much reluctance around these parts. What about you guys and your communities? What's the vibe in terms of re-opening and ending the lockdown?

@TwoMisfits I imagine the kids are bouncing off the walls!

• Like 1

Pretty decent chance that COVID-19 related deaths in the US pass 100,000 on Memorial Day.  At least on the worldmeters tracker, if not the John Hopkins one (The John Hopkins tracker is about 1600 behind the world meter tracker).

That's... That's a little too on the nose, 2020. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Anyone want to explain to me just how good this news is (or isn't, for that matter).  Brain is too tired to really want to read the report tonight.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Probably a dumb question but could they try to do this in enclosed spaces like cinemas with air conditioning?

I was involved in the planning and construction of a few multiplexes back in the 90s; the usual way modern AC is working is: They blow fresh air in below the seats and suck it away at the ceiling. So you always get a bottom-to-top draft; it's noiseless and smells don't propagate through the whole room. There may be a few where this principle isn't adhered to  because of some restrictions but I'd consider most screens comparatively safe for Covid19 times. The only caveat is that the airstream is really soft and you spend nearly two hours in an enclosed room; on the plus side, nobody does loud talking (or talking at all, hopefully) during the movie. Loud talking or even singing seems to be one of the major ways of distribution.

Overall I'd consider the risk manageable - you'd maybe keep some seats free and maybe also turn up the ventilation a bit for more airflow.

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

6024 (103.5k) Thu, May 21

5547 (108.1k) Wed, May 20

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

3736 (92.9k) Fri, May 15

3940 (92.8k) Thu, May 14

3726 (94.7k) Wed, May 13

3562 (85.9k) Tue, May 12

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

6507 (103.5k) Fri, May 22

6024 (103.5k) Thu, May 21

5547 (108.1k) Wed, May 20

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

3736 (92.9k) Fri, May 15

3940 (92.8k) Thu, May 14

3726 (94.7k) Wed, May 13

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Yes. It's worth noting that a lot of sports events are "outdoors" but "enclosed" - even an open-top stadium has substantially reduced airflow compared to completely open environments. (Of course, the scale of the crowd is also a problem.)

The results from contact-tracing studies are not surprising, simulations of outdoor airflow show that droplets will get dispersed very quickly if there's even a slight amount of wind, making it much harder to receive a sufficient viral dose.

This is also worth a read.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200521-can-staying-inside-weaken-the-immune-system

• Like 2

I'm here in Canada and frankly I'm sorry to think that the use of masks actually gone down compared to before as people believe the pandemic is not as serious as expected.

Notice a lot of people going to stores without one.

The only place that I see a widespread use of masks is the grocery store.

Also many younger people that live alone frankly have developed a complete uncaring and Cavalier attitude towards the Coronavirus.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, JB33 said:

The virus definitely isn't a hoax. That's prepostrous. 

I do however believe some folks are a little too paranoid about it. Emphasis on the word some, though, because almost everyone in my community at least are rarin' to get out. Doesn't seem to be much reluctance around these parts. What about you guys and your communities? What's the vibe in terms of re-opening and ending the lockdown?

@TwoMisfits I imagine the kids are bouncing off the walls!

My youngest is...he has now told me he will do nothing virtual anymore (he knows he has one virtual summer camp, and refused any more when his in person camp was canceled yesterday).  I've been bribing him every day for the last month for good behavior - one check mark a day and he needed 25 for a $25 Playstation gift card (he lost a few days, which did help the rest of them).  That was a "save my own sanity" move, but under the expectation, we'd be open for the summer...and we're still not.

In my community, there has finally been push back in the last week.  It "helps" that our death rate outside of LTCs is so low that it rivals the overall kid death rate...

I am taking all of my crew to Target today (one of the few places we won't have to worry about taking 6 of 10 spots at a store) - we haven't been since Feb...and I'm gonna let them "shop" vs in and out...I tried to pitch a few other options, but kids go with what they know...

Edited by TwoMisfits

PS - In the silver lining to all this, thanks to an inability to spend money on anything (I've had summer camp fees refunded...twice, Broadway tickets cancelled, Hershey Park tickets cancelled, hotels cancelled, etc), I bought a NEW car yesterday to replace my spouse's 2004 Chrysler Sebring that only had 51K miles.  I changed it b/c my eldest hated that car, and wouldn't drive it, and I need her to finally buckle down and get her license in something safe.

While Honda was offering zero cash deals...well Kia was...and I got 30% off the MSRP (which is the best deal BY A MILE I've ever gotten for a car) on a black 2020 Kia Optima LX (it was $17.1K before all the taxes and fees and registration and plates).  And b/c I haven't been able to spend money to experience anything all spring, plus I got tax refunds and a stimulus for the whole fam...well, I bought the dang thing in cash...which was also a 1st.  Which is great, b/c I didn't want a car and college payment at the same time in a year...and now I can put off buying cars for another 5 years (since that's when my 2016's power train warranty ends:)...

I bought it in my county to hopefully at least stimulate the area...the place was DEAD anytime I was there, so hopefully, that also changes this weekend...deals are there that may be once in a life time at some dealers and car makers...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

My youngest is...he has now told me he will do nothing virtual anymore (he knows he has one virtual summer camp, and refused any more when his in person camp was canceled yesterday).  I've been bribing him every day for the last month for good behavior - one check mark a day and he needed 25 for a $25 Playstation gift card (he lost a few days, which did help the rest of them).  That was a "save my own sanity" move, but under the expectation, we'd be open for the summer...and we're still not.

In my community, there has finally been push back in the last week.  It "helps" that our death rate outside of LTCs is so low that it rivals the overall kid death rate...

I am taking all of my crew to Target today (one of the few places we won't have to worry about taking 6 of 10 spots at a store) - we haven't been since Feb...and I'm gonna let them "shop" vs in and out...I tried to pitch a few other options, but kids go with what they know...

Jesus that's rough. My 5 year old is clinging on but having a rough go. She landed a hammer on my wife. Said she's worried about her friends getting the virus, she's worried the teachers getting the virus. She's worried school will get delayed again (June 1st, preschool and luckily I kept in her through kindergarten). She's worried mommy will get sick (from positive patients but exposure is low). 

It's crazy how much she's thought about it and never said anything.  Really hope we get some version of a return to normalcy soon for everyone's sake. Too much longer of this will have a permanent effect on many.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

PS - In the silver lining to all this, thanks to an inability to spend money on anything (I've had summer camp fees refunded...twice, Broadway tickets cancelled, Hershey Park tickets cancelled, hotels cancelled, etc), I bought a NEW car yesterday to replace my spouse's 2004 Chrysler Sebring that only had 51K miles.  I changed it b/c my eldest hated that car, and wouldn't drive it, and I need her to finally buckle down and get her license in something safe.

While Honda was offering zero cash deals...well Kia was...and I got 30% off the MSRP (which is the best deal BY A MILE I've ever gotten for a car) on a black 2020 Kia Optima LX (it was $17.1K before all the taxes and fees and registration and plates).  And b/c I haven't been able to spend money to experience anything all spring, plus I got tax refunds and a stimulus for the whole fam...well, I bought the dang thing in cash...which was also a 1st.  Which is great, b/c I didn't want a car and college payment at the same time in a year...and now I can put off buying cars for another 5 years (since that's when my 2016's power train warranty ends:)...

I bought it in my county to hopefully at least stimulate the area...the place was DEAD anytime I was there, so hopefully, that also changes this weekend...deals are there that may be once in a life time at some dealers and car makers...

I almost bought that car. That's a screaming deal. It was 19k used here in Washington! I bought a volvo s60 instead and that's the only car I regret not buying

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I almost bought that car. That's a screaming deal. It was 19k used here in Washington! I bought a volvo s60 instead and that's the only car I regret not buying

It was - it was so good that I didn't even play the deal off another Kia dealer...I just took it before they took the deal away.  Negotiated online by just asking for their best price on a new car:)...then, I had my kid (and spouse) test drive it to make sure we were gonna get it:)...

I mean, we did get owner loyalty and vet extra incentives...but a new car at that price...yes:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It was - it was so good that I didn't even play the deal off another Kia dealer...I just took it before they took the deal away.  Negotiated online by just asking for their best price on a new car:)...then, I had my kid (and spouse) test drive it to make sure we were gonna get it:)...

I mean, we did get owner loyalty and vet extra incentives...but a new car at that price...yes:)...

Even without those it's basically a better deal than my offer was used. At the time lowest price within 50 miles. Now the one I was looking at was the ex loaded. But it was a year old with 20k miles. Congrats on the car, it's like the Honda Accord was 10 years ago. Built to last for a long time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

People are too stupid to live

People already carry a microchip around that tracks their movements. It called a phone.

• Like 3