Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Porthos said:

How much of that is the lens at work though?  That could be far less crowded than it looks.

 

(also being outdoors might not be as problematic/risky as working a ten hour shift indoors, unprotected)

It’s not, I know what you mean about angles etc but there’s video all over Twitter and my Facebook from people who were riding by with how packed the park is. Being outdoors is fine as long as we’re being smart about things, grouping together like this at any age is selfish and idiotic. 

 

Ontario and Quebec are really dragging down the rest of Canada as a whole. I’ve never wanted to move so much in my life. I live more North so I’m not near downtown Toronto but it’s truly embarrassing to see stuff like this with the guidelines we know we should be following (regardless of age). 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada is a funny mix of Europe and America.

 

There is a greater trust in govt to do things for the greater good "Public health care" but we dont really get strict laws and really value individual rights at sometimes the expense of the community like America.

 

 

I think the mass park gatherings are just plan stupid ...

 

You can meet friends and family with social distancing. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Canada is a funny mix of Europe and America.

 

There is a greater trust in govt to do things for the greater good "Public health care" but we dont really get strict laws and really value individual rights at sometimes the expense of the community like America.

 

 

I think the mass park gatherings are just plan stupid ...

 

You can meet friends and family with social distancing. 

Ontario and Quebec’s chief medical officers for the provinces are really bad and it’s showing. And now people are getting fed up (which I can understand) but sucks for all the rest of us who have been listening and sacrificed. 
 

I think we’ll see the federal government step in soon in both provinces, our testing and tracing needs to get way better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

We really do live in a bubble on the internet. I can't speak for other communities because I've barely been outside my town, but where I live seeing people wearing masks is fairly uncommon. I'd say at most it's a 85-15 split between people not wearing masks-people wearing masks.

 

Today I saw some people doing bicycle alone in not a not crowded at all section of a bike path with masks, some inside there cars (both a bit over the top that I personally do not do).

 

But in a sense if the goal of the activity is just to take sun in a park, maybe wearing a mask destroy the point in the first place, while maybe we would see a lot more mask where taking air isn't the point of the activity (say in an crowded outside market).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Canada is a funny mix of Europe and America.

 

There is a greater trust in govt to do things for the greater good "Public health care" but we dont really get strict laws and really value individual rights at sometimes the expense of the community like America.

 

 

I think the mass park gatherings are just plan stupid ...

 

You can meet friends and family with social distancing. 

I would like to know if the powers that be will be able to trace possible future cases (and, God forbid, deaths) to this gathering. On the flip (bright) side, it would be nice to know that zero cases resulted.

 

Basically, you hope that everyone who decided to congregate there in such close proximity all calculated the risk and made sure they weren't sick and hadn't had any signs or symptoms for a long time prior.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JB33 said:

I would like to know if the powers that be will be able to trace possible future cases (and, God forbid, deaths) to this gathering. On the flip (bright) side, it would be nice to know that zero cases resulted.

 

Basically, you hope that everyone who decided to congregate there in such close proximity all calculated the risk and made sure they weren't sick and hadn't had any signs or symptoms for a long time prior.

 

 

Issue is BC had tens of thousands of people at beaches 1-2 weeks ago and no jump in cases but community spread in BC is non existent. 

 

Ontario and Quebec have been getting 100's of cases but as i said we have seen deaths mostly in old age homes so younger people feel its not warranted to stay locked up at home. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

 

Today I saw some people doing bicycle alone in not a not crowded at all section of a bike path with masks, some inside there cars (both a bit over the top that I personally do not do).

 

But in a sense if the goal of the activity is just to take sun in a park, maybe wearing a mask destroy the point in the first place, while maybe we would see a lot more mask where taking air isn't the point of the activity (say in an crowded outside market).

I think you nailed it. For instance, I would wear a mask in a movie theatre. Absolutely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I think you nailed it. For instance, I would wear a mask in a movie theatre. Absolutely.

 

 

I only wear a mask when shopping... why would i wear a mask driving in my own car lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites

re: Mask wearing and bubbles.

 

Be careful of confirmation bias.  When I've been going out to stores locally I see casually upwards of 80 percent of people wearing masks.  Now I'm in California so for several reasons our mask wearing usage might be up.

 

And this isn't just ancedotal evidence either.  There are various surveys that mask wearing is WAAAAAAY up in the US.  

 

Now of course, the wording of the survey is tricky and doesn't devote to whether or not folks usually/always wear a mask when they go out.  But while it might be my own confirmation bias speaking, I wouldn't use the screenshots of folks at a part or a beach be that indicative of how many folks are wearing masks then they go to shopping centers or other indoor places.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lordmandeep said:

 

 

I only wear a mask when shopping... why would i wear a mask driving in my own car lol 

This is what people are having a hard time understanding and I don’t understand why. People who go into stores or travel by transit (or can’t be properly social distancing) should be wearing masks. It’s not needed in every situation. 

 

I go out and walk for an hour to an hour and a half everyday and don’t wear a mask, I just avoid going near anyone. When I go do my blood work (that I have to do weekly) I do wear a mask cause I can’t be away from people. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

 

 

Issue is BC had tens of thousands of people at beaches 1-2 weeks ago and no jump in cases but community spread in BC is non existent. 

 

Ontario and Quebec have been getting 100's of cases but as i said we have seen deaths mostly in old age homes so younger people feel its not warranted to stay locked up at home. 

Makes sense. Have to take into account the difference in the activity of the virus in each province. 

 

On the whole though, it seems like most people want to simply let nature decide. I'm not saying whether that's the right or wrong mindset. It's just the sense I get from folks in my circles and on social media.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

re: Mask wearing and bubbles.

 

Be careful of confirmation bias.  When I've been going out to stores locally I see casually upwards of 80 percent of people wearing masks.  Now I'm in California so for several reasons our mask wearing usage might be up.

 

And this isn't just ancedotal evidence either.  There are various surveys that mask wearing is WAAAAAAY up in the US.  

 

Now of course, the wording of the survey is tricky and doesn't devote to whether or not folks usually/always wear a mask when they go out.  But while it might be my own confirmation bias speaking, I wouldn't use the screenshots of folks at a part or a beach be that indicative of how many folks are wearing masks then they go to shopping centers or other indoor places.

 

You're right. It's completely anecdotal. As Lordmandeep pointed out, I live in BC where people have been able to go out and do lots of things and the curve has stayed the same. When I go shopping where I live, I maybe see a small handful of people wearing masks. No employees wear masks. They do wear gloves though. 

 

It really does vary depending on where you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a bad trend to take pictures every time you see people outside, or get angry about it on Twitter. This isn't the main or more important reason some countries are having tragic outbreaks. Government policies matter far more, and after all people can't stay locked inside forever (or more than a couple of months).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is a bad trend to take pictures every time you see people outside, or get angry about it on Twitter. This isn't the main or more important reason some countries are having tragic outbreaks. Government policies matter far more, and after all people can't stay locked inside forever (or more than a couple of months).

You’re right about government policies for sure. 
 

And while I’d never take pictures of people at a park (or a large family/friends gathering I walked by a few nights ago) I have no issue with people being called out for being irresponsible. Especially with after everything we’ve been told and how dangerous this is. 
 

Also, at least here in Ontario, we’ve never been locked in, we’ve been allowed to go out for walks/runs/bike rides etc the whole time as long as we’ve been in our lockdown. So there’s no excuse for those people in that park today, it’s just selfish and irresponsible. 

Edited by cax16
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Assumption said:

Canada's handling of Covid 19 is fucking horrendous considering it had to deal with SARS before.

I would say Quebec and Ontario have been bad, rest of Canada has done fine.

 

But I guess to be fair, it’s all still in Canada so technically you’re right. To the rest of the world they just see numbers from Canada. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, JB33 said:

 

On the whole though, it seems like most people want to simply let nature decide. I'm not saying whether that's the right or wrong mindset. It's just the sense I get from folks in my circles and on social media.

Absolutely not, opinion surveys in pretty much every country say the opposite. Twitter isn't real life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Absolutely not, opinion surveys in pretty much every country say the opposite. Twitter isn't real life.

Fair enough, but opinion surveys aren't always that reliable either.

 

It's people's actions which tell the tale. That's the most accurate way to get your finger on the pulse of people. Watch them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, cax16 said:

You’re right about government policies for sure. 
 

And while I’d never take pictures of people at a park (or a large family/friends gathering I walked by a few nights ago) I have no issue with people being called out for being irresponsible. Especially with after everything we’ve been told and how dangerous this is. 
 

Also, at least here in Ontario, we’ve never been locked in, we’ve been allowed to go out for walks/runs/bike rides etc the whole time as long as we’ve been in our lockdown. So there’s no excuse for those people in that park today, it’s just selfish and irresponsible. 

The issue is be sensible... 

 

 

Today i went to my cousins house.. i came myself... i walked to the backyard sat on a chair did not eat anything and spoke to my cousins sitting 10 feet away from me for 1-2 hours. 

 

 

Like its possible and fine to meet people, just have sense ...but like hey '10 random friends lets go to the park in a big group" is just having no care.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Fair enough, but opinion surveys aren't always that reliable either.

 

It's people's actions which tell the tale. That's the most accurate way to get your finger on the pulse of people. Watch them.

How, by looking from your window or scrolling through Twitter? Opinion surveys are much more reliable.

 

Another way to measure it, for Canada:

https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility/2020-05-16_CA_Mobility_Report_en.pdf

 

Retail&Recreation: -40%

Grocery: -9%

Parks: +62%

Transit: -47%

Workplaces: -30%

Places of residence: +10%

 

Google Mobility report is less useful than a scientific survey, but it sure looks like Canadians are either staying home or going to parks/beaches - outdoor locations where contagion is less likely. In any case the general situation is far from normal, they are not "letting nature decide" even after months of social distancing.

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.