DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Do not take anything on that list there as absolute 100 percent gospel about how to avoid catching COVID-19.  Do not take it as saying that infections will occur from folks violating those guidelines.  Still need an initial seed for super spread to happen, after all.  Even setting aside non-symptomatic and asymptomatic carriers, still need sick people to get the ball rolling in the above situations.

But as an overview or a complied set of things we think we know about this novel coronavirus?  Pretty good, I think.  A decent overview at the very least about how various "superspread events" have happened at the very least.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Do not take anything on that list there as absolute 100 percent gospel about how to avoid catching COVID-19.  Do not take it as saying that infections will occur from folks violating those guidelines.  Still need an initial seed for super spread to happen, after all.  Even setting aside non-symptomatic and asymptomatic carriers, still need sick people to get the ball rolling in the above situations.

But as an overview or a complied set of things we think we know about this novel coronavirus?  Pretty good, I think.  A decent overview at the very least about how various "superspread events" have happened at the very least.

Also, once again, slowly opening up isn't the bad thing here.  I knew all along that folks wouldn't... no, couldn't be "locked up" for 10 to 15 months.  And even the states that have been "opening up" aren't going "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead".

No, IMO, the bad thing is that the US  by and large wasted the two months we were given to set up testing and tracking/tracing.  We seem to be getting testing ramping up in fits and starts.  Not to the level of "fully opening up", but perhaps enough that we can test more and more people.  

But on tracing everyone who gets infected and contacting everyone who might be exposed?  On quarantining folks who do get infected?  Just flying blind in a mountain range.

The US might just get lucky in the coming months.  I can't discount the idea that enhanced awareness and summer seasonal variance and a few other factors might lower the reproduction number.  Maybe "super spreader" events will be dramatically lowered because there are just enough people freaking out about the possibility to keep things tapered down.

Good fortune has happened time and time again throughout human history.  The plane just might not smash nose first into a mountain.  Maybe there'll 'just' be nasty turbulence to continue the strained metaphor.  Lucky breaks happen even at a societal level.

People dying by the shitton because they relied on luck happening is a lot more likely though when looking throughout history.

Or to put it another way, relying on luck is no way to go through life.  Not at a national planning level versus a pandemic at least.

So I ain't gonna discount the idea that the US or individual states might get "lucky" in the next few months.  I just wish they weren't quite relying as much on luck as it seems in some cases.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The company I work for closes its factory for the 3rd time since the outbreak started, this time it's one week. These days count as paid leave, though it already passed 15 days (which is the amount the company can "force" me to use), so now I'm getting paid for staying at home. I'll take it.

Active cases here are going down 3 weeks straight, so the restrictions are slowly getting lifted. First in the countryside, Budapest has a 2 week delay as the number of cases per capita is the highest here.

corona0524.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

One last thing about the (small) groups in parks: in cities, there are many single young people living alone. What are they supposed to do after countries start to "reopen"; only go to work, watch TV then go to bed - for a year? This isn't realistic or, frankly, desirable. That is why you can't really blame people for trying to have a life when the government message switches from "Stay Home" to "Stay Safe".

Going to the park with your close friends is probably the least "dangerous" social gathering you can do. It is certainly much better than drinking with them in your small apartment.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

But on tracing everyone who gets infected and contacting everyone who might be exposed?  On quarantining folks who do get infected?  Just flying blind in a mountain range.

The good news is that most states seem to do just that, and have set up tracing teams. Bad news, they're doing it at the last minute and with zero federal coordination (for now, I am sure Trump will get to it eventually then claim credit). Yet it may be enough: the same thing is happening in many European countries like the UK or France. Denmark started this kind of systematic tracing only in April, "reopened" one month ago and for now it looks like amateur "Tracing for Dummies" is much better than no tracing at all.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 4

I semi-agree with this but not sure what the better alternative would be (besides partial re-openings) 

vzozmye2shz41.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

I semi-agree with this but not sure what the better alternative would be (besides partial re-openings) 

vzozmye2shz41.jpg

Actually from what I can see if we had basic income as we have a basic income scheme in Canada temporarily....

That a certain percentage of people would just quit their jobs and loaf around.

Anyways my point is that a lot of people want basic income seems to be put in place to allow people to stay at home for months or a year...

The problem is a basic income scheme requires the economy to run normally in order to get massive amounts of tax dollars from a while running economy to sustain it.

Because we are all heading for some large tax increases in many countries. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

So basically what I'm hearing is just stay in my apartment until I get vaccinated. 

19 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

So basically what I'm hearing is just stay in my apartment until I get vaccinated. 

Then experts and politicians get confused why people start to stop caring to follow rules.

People want concrete timelines and plans for this to end BUT its impossible to figure that out. 

Posted (edited)

Boris Johnson is an absolute DISGRACE. Gaslighting and insulting a whole country by backing his political advisor and suggesting he was following his fatherly instincts and showed integrity by travelling 260 fucking miles for ‘childcare’. Utter disgrace, and an insult to every life that has been lost. He has lost all credibility and support of the nation.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Boris Johnson is an absolute DISGRACE. Gaslighting and insulting a whole country by backing his political advisor and suggesting he was following his fatherly instincts and showed integrity by travelling 260 fucking miles for ‘childcare’. Utter disgrace, and an insult to every life that has been lost. He has lost all credibility and support of the nation.

We HAVE to follow those rules ... except if we really don't want to 😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

We HAVE to follow those rules ... except if we really don't want to 😀

I like to call it a politician's "rules for thee, but not for me"...VA governor got burned this weekend on that, and he had been doing so well...but selfies on the beach with lots of unknown folks (aka, not his family or friends) surrounding him less than 1ft away, while he and they are also maskless...yeah, not a good look, especially after he threatened to close VA Beach after the weekend if they didn't follow his social distance guidelines...and the gov blows all of them on his 1st trip...

Edited by TwoMisfits

7 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Coronavirus 'disappearing' so fast Oxford vaccine has 'only 50% chance of working'

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-disappearing-so-fast-oxford-vaccine-has-only-50-chance-of-working-11993739

Maybe for some vaccine but for the most promising candidate like the Oxford one I imagine they will not use the usually testing technique of a large sample with some random getting the vaccine vs trial group without it, waiting some months with the group living their usual life and seeing how much each group did got it.

This time they will probably find enough volunteer that will accept to get actively exposed to it after getting the vaccine to have rapidly a clearer view of is efficacity (considering how low the death rate is for people of a certain group with access to healthcare making it more ethically possible for people to do versus say a SARS-MERS vaccin).

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Heretic said:

I would like to say yeah but  I see no point of going the circle jerk to make myself feel better and deal with the actual reality is the Tories in the UK are not going anywhere

Borris has been called a moron from the start and won a big majority and his party is polling over 45% and likely would defeat labour rather easily again... 

Like I find Johnson a moron but i find it takes more to beat the Tories in the UK then people on the left saying saying "the tories are scum and dont deserve support" and thinking Labour is a competent opposition party that deserves to win as they have 'heart'.

The Tories are only really in trouble if they start polling around Labour in the polls sadly

Edited by Lordmandeep

Noticed a lot of under 30 crowd driving around in suburban car lots just chilling.

They are 6 feet apart and such but I noticed people calling the police on them...

My question is we have to accept youth wont sit around during the summer, how can they meet safely? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2020 at 7:01 AM, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

6663 (115.4k) Sat, May 23

6507 (103.5k) Fri, May 22

6024 (103.5k) Thu, May 21

5547 (108.1k) Wed, May 20

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

3736 (92.9k) Fri, May 15

3940 (92.8k) Thu, May 14

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

7111 (108.6k) Sun, May 24

6663 (115.4k) Sat, May 23

6507 (103.5k) Fri, May 22

6024 (103.5k) Thu, May 21

5547 (108.1k) Wed, May 20

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

3736 (92.9k) Fri, May 15

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

Schools were back for all students in NSW today. 

Public transport and the road network have held up well. 

My first day back at work today I drove all of the way. I can’t recall having a quicker drive to work although I normally catch public transport. 

• Like 2