DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I have few friends in Canada and they are all working. So is there no lock down in Canada, why in States? 

USA fucked up early, punishment to correct was brutal. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I have few friends in Canada and they are all working. So is there no lock down in Canada, why in States? 

Depends where they live in Canada. We have so much land here so different situations in different places.

Ontario and Quebec have had it the worst. But people have always been working in both provinces if they were in essential services or if they could do their jobs from home. My wife works in insurance and she’s been working from home since March. Quebec is opening up a bit quicker then Ontario but we opened some shops last week as well( and just reopened parks this weekend ). In Ontario we are still getting roughly 400 new cases a day so I don’t see too much more opening for a bit.

I haven’t worked at my job since March 17th just to give you an example( I work in the food industry), we’ve cut down to only one manager and one to two employees daily. We normally had anywhere from 20-50 people working on a given day.  

Restaurants are only allowed to offer take out and delivery. Most stores only had curb side pickup till last week and we were told not be in larger gatherings then 5 people so basically no one has been seeing family since mid March also. I’m not complaining by the way, just telling you what’s going on here.

Other provinces haven’t had new cases for days or are in single digits so they are way ahead of other places here. But most places in Canada have locked down to some degree throughout this so far. 

Edited by cax16

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Not everyone is working, but yes everything is re-opening pretty quickly so we're getting there.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 11:10 AM, a2k said:

India, new cases last 10 days (and daily tests):

7111 (108.6k) Sun, May 24

6663 (115.4k) Sat, May 23

6507 (103.5k) Fri, May 22

6024 (103.5k) Thu, May 21

5547 (108.1k) Wed, May 20

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

3736 (92.9k) Fri, May 15

6414 (90.2k) Mon, May 25

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

4 hours ago, JB33 said:

Not everyone is working, but yes everything is re-opening pretty quickly so we're getting there.

another issue but its not that important is that corona is the biggest cock-blocker  ever lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep

10 hours ago, cdsacken said:

USA fucked up early, punishment to correct was brutal. 

And fear is a hard thing to overcome...as I mentioned to someone, most politicians now are trying to not end up in Cuomo's position of being "the guy who killed everyone"...so, it's easier to say "better safe than sorry" than just open...I mean, think how much the poor GA gov had to eat in bad press when he started opening...and it's not like the media apologized after everything went well enough...

1 hour ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Just saw that

https://covid19-projections.com/#view-projections

have updated their projection range, now the projections run until September 1st.

Why would deaths see a plateau for months? This hasn't happened anywhere (at such a high level) so far.

I think it will continue to decline, then we can worry about a second wave.

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I think it will rise for a few weeks. Most European countries ended lockdown. Death count is bound to increase in the next few weeks. We'll see after that

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think it will rise for a few weeks. Most European countries ended lockdown.

I meant, in the US: 1k deaths/day for months seems unlikely.

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Death count is bound to increase in the next few weeks.

Not necessarily, and probably not anywhere close to ~50% of the peaks. (And it is not what this model predicts for Europe anyway)

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Why would deaths see a plateau for months? This hasn't happened anywhere (at such a high level) so far.

The issue in the US is that it is not really one big outbreak. Its lots of small outbreaks. As one area gets better another area pops up.

That particular model (Gu) has probably been the best one in terms of matching the actual numbers to this point. 

The 178K on August 4th is actually way down from where it was a little over a week ago (when it was at 195K).

if you look at the individual state models it has alot of the states that were not hit hard early (NY/NJ/CT/LA/MI etc) having increases in deaths in July and August as the US re-opens more. Some like GA even seeing increases in June.

• Like 1

This is also a good page to follow. Fivethirtyeight is tracking 9 models and what they predict for the next 6 weeks (some only go out 4 weeks). it gets updated weekly. If you take whatever model ends up near the median that tends to be a pretty good guide.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/covid-forecasts/?ex_cid=rrpromo

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

And fear is a hard thing to overcome...as I mentioned to someone, most politicians now are trying to not end up in Cuomo's position of being "the guy who killed everyone"...so, it's easier to say "better safe than sorry" than just open...I mean, think how much the poor GA gov had to eat in bad press when he started opening...and it's not like the media apologized after everything went well enough...

Seriously Cuomo took strong action but messed up early and new York was basically a lock to be screwed anyways.

Fear is a big motivator in this. We have to push forward inch by inch. Enough to see actual improvement, not too much to scare folks. In rural areas the speed should and has been much faster.

• Like 1

UK still had the highest death rate in the world.

19 hours ago, a2k said:

6414 (90.2k) Mon, May 25

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

4972 (94.3k) Sat, May 16

5866 (92.5k) Tue, May 26

6414 (90.2k) Mon, May 25

6148 (101.k) Tue, May 19

4629 (75.2k) Mon, May 18

5049 (93.4k) Sun, May 17

Disneyland and other California theme parks currently closed by the COVID-19 pandemic can reopen during Stage 3 of Gov. Gavin Newsom’s four-stage road map for reopening the state’s economy, according to state officials.

Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, Knott’s Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, SeaWorld San Diego, Legoland California and other theme parks fall into Stage 3 of California’s road map for reopening, according to state officials.

“Theme parks are slated to open in Stage 3 if the rate of spread of COVID-19 and hospitalizations remain stable,” according to California Health and Human Services Agency spokesperson Kate Folmar.

Newsom announced on Tuesday, May 26 that Orange County and other counties in the state approved for accelerated reopening could move into the early phase of Stage 3 for the first time with the reopening of hair salons and barber shops.

“Phase 3 is not a year away. It’s not six months away. It’s not even three months away. It may not even be more than a month away,” Newsom said during a daily press briefing in mid-May. “We just want to make sure we have a protocol in place to secure customer safety, employee safety and allow the businesses to thrive in a way that is sustainable.”

Newsom has not set a specific date when Stage 3 could begin in California.

“The science and data of how COVID-19 hospitalizations are progressing, how prepared hospitals are for increased cases and whether hospitals have adequate personal protective equipment will guide when the state enters stage 3,” Folmar said via email.

California theme parks are among the “higher risk” businesses and gatherings that would reopen in Stage 3 with adaptations and limits on the size of gatherings, according to Folmar.

The state will work with California theme parks on developing COVID-19 health and safety reopening plans, according to Folmar.

“We will work with employers and employees on developing guidance,” Folmar said via email.

The state could issue guidance on theme parks in the “near term,” according to Anaheim spokesman Mike Lyster.

Disneyland has not submitted a COVID-19 health and safety reopening plan to the city, county or state, according to Lyster. Anaheim will be closely watching the phased reopenings of Shanghai Disneyland in China and the Walt Disney World resort in Florida to learn best practices, according to Lyster.

More at the link, but these seem to be the important highlights. 

NB: I wouldn't read too much into Peter Sciretta's June comment, if only because of the lack of a reopening plan from Disney.