DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Miami and Lousians announce a pause in reopening because of skyrocketing Covid numbers.

We will be seeing more of this.

• Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

this is probably wrong but as long as numbers of cases keep rising and numbers of deaths keep declining, doesn't this mean that the countries with the most cases are going to be the fastest that will reach herd immunity with the least casualties? (least deaths to be precise) (if a vaccine doesn't develop in the next 12 months or so).

While the virus is basically under control in Austria, recent events have shown how fast a cluster can develop, and how serious the so-called super-spreader events are. There have been nine deaths in the last two weeks in a single nursing home in Vienna, and now there's a new cluster in Salzburg (which was thought to be more or less free of the virus) - a Rotary Club meeting; 26 people there, 15 of which have now tested positive.

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000118243433/corona-im-salzburger-regierungsbezirk

It only shows how dangerous any bigger gatherings still are; while the re-opening is going on (Innsbruck airport re-opened with a whopping 1 (one) flights/day yesterday; gastronomy curfew is now 1am and so on), any bigger gatherings will have to be severly reduced for the unforseeable future. Same goes for sports, festivals etc ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

this is probably wrong but as long as numbers of cases keep rising and numbers of deaths keep declining, doesn't this mean that the countries with the most cases are going to be the fastest that will reach herd immunity with the least casualties? (least deaths to be precise) (if a vaccine doesn't develop in the next 12 months or so).

It seems to me that it's just that the virus isn't spreading in nursing homes as much as it did before (probably because the virus has burned through nursing homes in a large number of countries and others like India don't really have many nursing homes). 

• Like 1

Victoria is a mess here. Pretty much every other state has wiped out coronavirus. 

The AFL had to postpone a game because a player tested negative, then inconclusive, then positive and now negative again. 

Help is on the way.

It already found a way to achieve its objective of R=0, and very quickly.

Spoiler

terminator-resistance.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Help is on the way.

It already found a way to achieve its objective of R=0, and very quickly.

Reveal hidden contents

Its simple really: No humans --> no Covid-19 positive tests.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Trump is your president. You do not deserve to live. You must be terminated

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, RealLyre said:

Nobody is getting herd immunity without a vaccine.

it requires too many people to get the virus. Even inthe hardest hit places the infection rate is only around 20-25%, so you would need 3 outbreaks of that size in that area to potentially reach herd immunity. For most places they would have to have 20-30 times the amount of infections before you might reach herd immunity.

More importantly, we don't have conclusive evidence yet that getting it is going to provide long term immunity from it. 

It could end up being like the flu where a new vaccine is going to be needed every year. 

• Like 7

I thought this was an interesting take by Dr. Bromage -an Australian biologist at UMass Dartmouth (that my wife thinks is just da bomb).

He compares COVID19 in the US to the wildfires in Australia this past year. He is really concerned about the spread in 20-40 yr olds. He basically says that COVID19 in the US is a forest fire that was never put out but just smolders waiting for dry tinder to explode. In his analogy the 20-40 yr olds are the brushland that the fire just smolders in for weeks and then the tinder is the older populations that the fire eventually spreads to and erupts into flames. 

He believes we have to do a much better job of keeping 20-40 yr olds from getting infected or eventually those infections will pass on to people who are more susceptible and that's when you have the big outbreaks and death occur.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/opinions/20-and-30-year-olds-spreading-covid-19-bromage/index.html

• Like 1

Germany R has spiked. 1,500 workers test positive in one factory.

German authorities in North Rhine-Westphalia are bringing back local lockdown measures after a coronavirus outbreak linked to a meatpacking plant.

More than 1,500 employees of the Tönnies plant have tested positive.

State premier Armin Laschet said the "preventative measures" in Gütersloh district, home to about 360,000 people, would last until 30 June.

It is the first such move since Germany began lifting its lockdown restrictions nationwide in May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53149762

I guess we'll be seeing a lot more such localised lockdowns in the near future; with travel restrictions lifted and reduced mask use there's bound to be more infections. Let's see if it's possible to fine-tune the system so R0 wobbles around 1

• Sad 1

Thing about asking people to wear mask wont work as the confusing wording from WHO and health experts sort of confused people a lot and i still hear people saying "they said you dont need to wear mask unless you are near someone or around sick people"

Pretty much if the govt wants people to wear masks it has to come from the government.

Simple as that.

I know a lot of people who wearing masks have now stopped wearing masks as they feel the danger has lowered or feel its annoying. 

This is a sobbering story from a hospital in Miami

Dr. Andrew Pastewski, head ICU physician at Jackson South Medical Center in Miami, spoke Tuesday about the surge of patients he's seeing at his hospital during an interview on CNN’s “New Day.”

A week ago we had eight patients, none on a ventilator," Pastewski said. "We were feeling like we were handling this well. We had a nice Covid floor, 24 beds with the capability of four ICU ventilators in that unit, so we thought we could use that as our Covid floor going forward.
"And within 10 days, we're now at over 40-plus patients, four on ventilators. We've had to find a second Covid unit and are looking for a third Covid unit right now."

Pastewski told CNN he has two sets of patients in the ICU right now: older patients that may live in a nursing home, and younger patients in their 50s and 60s.

• Sad 2

In an encouraging sign, people are again showing they will respond to the situation before local officials and politicians. As COVID cases explode in places like Texas, people are staying home on their own more... again.

• Like 1

At my job today. Bus was 50% capacity max allowed. All masks

Work mask is mandatory. We have given every employee a cloth mask. A disposable mask and we have 250 extra for 80 employees on hand. 

Honestly zero stress taking bus or while in office. Feels good. Seattle is doing a good job. Other than CHOP but I sure as hell don't want to talk about.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people who bought cars as they dont want to take public transit anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I'm not surprised (though i'm sure the US government will put on alot of pressure to try to change that) and I would do the same thing if i was in their shoes.  The US has shown no will or desire (with a tone set by the Federal Government and the President) to truly deal with this.

I think this column from Yahoo sports - which says Americans are responsible for not having sports right now based on their actions, explains it well.

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-has-the-pandemic-punctured-the-myth-of-american-exceptionalism-just-look-at-sports-172159985.html

• Thanks 1