DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

6 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

The UK government tried to hide their numbers today too, there were a further 280 deaths recorded today but they only announced around 170. The extra deaths were from earlier in the month and only just counted due to slow reporting. Every other day where this has happened, the deaths have all been reported as part of that day’s total, but today they obviously didn’t want to announce 280 deaths on the same day that they announced that pubs/restaurants and other things could reopen. They’re lying to us to make it seem like we’re getting on top of it, and while that’s true compared to the peak, we’re still nowhere near where we should be, and all this is going to do is make people more complacent than they already are.

Florida seems to be intent on doing this, but on a much bigger scale. It’s reprehensible. The UK’s handled it horribly, but everytime I think it can’t get worse, the US says “hold my beer”...It pains me to see such a great country that I love being run by morons like Trump who are ignoring the science in order to make money.

The ONS excess death data which is released on Tuesdays have never been added to the Tuesday dailys, they get added to the total but not the daily figures, because they are not daily figures.

So this is false.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

I have been mad about it for some time. to the point where I have broken with the left on Gun COntrol, because there might be no other way but "An Appeal To Arms" to restore democracy to the US.

Mistakes were made by the Canadian Government..some bad ones..but they were "honest" mistakes. made without malice or deliberly.
I have not seen any Canadian offiical trying to create phony numbers to make situation look better then it is.

The jokes about the Governor of Florida being like the Mayor of Amity in "Jaws" are no longer valid, the Governor is doing things a 100 Times worse then the Mayor in Jaws.

Yeah...sure.

Anyway, yes, Canada is doing pretty well all things considered. Re-opening has begun snowballing as businesses realize they will in fact be able to do business. Almost every restaurant is dine-in here at this point, with proper social distancing policies in effect of course.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

So we can add public transportation of the list of things you just don't like?

No but as we saw in New York City riding public transit increases your risk of getting covid-19 Compared to driving a car to work or anywhere.

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

The ONS excess death data which is released on Tuesdays have never been added to the Tuesday dailys, they get added to the total but not the daily figures, because they are not daily figures.

So this is false.

BBC News and Sky News have been reporting them as part of the daily figure. They always state where the excess deaths have come from, but the total has always included them on a Tuesday. Separating them is new as of yesterday.

FWIW, Washington Post is reporting the change in how bed usage is counted in FL this morning as well.

In terms of hopsitalizations what the state is doing is not counting ICU utilization by if people are in ICU beds, only if they are receiving ICU services in those beds.

Of course, this is also the state that has not been including non Florida residents in its counts since the beginning (ie. all the part-time residents are excluded from any case or death counts).

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

FWIW, Washington Post is reporting the change in how bed usage is counted in FL this morning as well.

In terms of hopsitalizations what the state is doing is not counting ICU utilization by if people are in ICU beds, only if they are receiving ICU services in those beds.

Of course, this is also the state that has not been including non Florida residents in its counts since the beginning (ie. all the part-time residents are excluded from any case or death counts).

Its about to get even worse in Florida. I'm not talking about the virus (but that too), but about the data manipulation.

Some of you may remember the story of Rebekah Jones, the Florida government official who developed the state's data collection platform for COVID-19, tracking cases, deaths, and all other relevant metrics. After developing the platform, she was fired for, as she states, refusing to manipulate the data. That was 1-2 months ago.

Last night, she tweets the following:

Hopefully major media outlets pick up on this. I know CNN had Jones on for an interview this morning. But if a national outlet (or someone like the Miami Herald, who re-broke the Epstein story a couple years ago) reports on this, it would be huge. It needs to be known that Florida is manipulating their data.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

WTF

How much must happen before a President and his minions could be charged for mass murder? Because thats what that would be.

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

looks like 40k a day will soon to be a new normal 

Yesterday was the third highest total case day in the US since the pandemic began behind only April 25th and April 9th. 

23 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

looks like 40k a day will soon to be a new normal 

lisa simpson GIF

I'm sure everyone is happy to know that according to President Trump and President Duda that the pandemic is over

Both President Trump and his Polish counterpart suggested Wednesday the coronavirus pandemic currently raging in the United States was in the rearview as in-person diplomacy resumed in the Oval Office.

"This is the first after Covid, after the start of the plague, as I call it, and it’s an honor to have you here," Trump told his visitor, Polish President Andrzej Duda, as they began talks at the White House.

Duda, who faces a tight re-election in four days, said it was an honor to be Trump's first invitee after an extended period of pandemic-forced lockdown.

"It’s a privilege and honor to be here with you in the White House, the first president of state after the lockdown at the end of the coronavirus," he said.

Trump and Duda both hailed their close personal ties and the broader relationship between the United States and Poland.

"We’ve had many discussions and we worked very well with Poland. I don’t think we’ve ever been closer to Poland that we are right now," Trump said. "I think it’s a great honor and frankly Poland’s a country we have a tremendous relationship with. And I have a very good personal relationship with the president."

• ...wtf 1

Looks like the Oxford vaccine is going to be trialled in the USA because the virus is pretty much snuffed out in UK.

A coronavirus vaccine professor at Oxford University says there is now 'little chance' of proving if it works due to low transmission rates in the UK.

Professor Sarah Gilbert, leading the University of Oxford vaccine trial, said that when Covid-19 transmission was high, lockdown was imposed to bring the rate down.

But since then rates have dropped, and the trial relies on a sufficient number of volunteers to have been exposed to the virus to see whether a vaccine protects them or not.

However, if their chances of being in contact with an infected person are low, it will take a long time to demonstrate the efficacy of a vaccine candidate.

Prof Gilbert told the House of Lords Science and Technology committee: "Of course, what happened was that because it [transmission] actually increased much more rapidly than anybody thought was going to happen, we had the lockdown, which fortunately reduced transmission.

I think he meant unfortunately...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vaccine-professor-oxford-university-says-22241101

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

How much must happen before a President and his minions could be charged for mass murder? Because thats what that would be.

I am afraid it's called "Revolution?Civil War". Yes, it has gotten that bad.

Love in the Time of Corona:

For the first time in nearly four months, residents at a care home in Barcelona have been able to kiss, hug and hold hands with their loved ones – safely shielded from the virus by thin sheets of plastic.

As it prepared to open its doors to visitors, the Ballesol Fabra i Puig care home set up plastic curtains to allow residents some form of physical contact, echoing a strategy adopted by care homes in Brazil and Argentina.

Among the first visitors to arrive was 81-year-old Agustina Cañamero. For the past 102 days she had been gripped by fear as Spain’s death toll rose to one of the highest in Europe, worried constantly about how her husband, Pascual Pérez, was faring at the care home where he lives. On Monday the couple of 59 years was reunited, trading kisses through layers of surgical masks and plastic.