google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

England is healing.

Not sure why we haven't seen giant clusters in European bars yet, maybe because they're not looking?

• Like 2

Worried about UK. Hope the reopening doesn't incite a huge surge. Miss my Brits.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Not sure why we haven't seen giant clusters in European bars yet, maybe because they're not looking?

I think it’s more to do with the fact that “the pub” is more of an institution here in the UK compared to Europe. Brits are also notoriously renowned for taking drinking to excess. Reports of last night being as busy as New Years Eve in certain parts of the country are extremely distressing.

Also, as is evidenced by the fact that you don’t see this kind of behaviour to this extent elsewhere, a large section of British people are clearly morons that are willing to put their own health and the health of those around them in danger for the sake of a pint. 

Edited by SnokesLegs

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Bars aren't opened in most of Europe yet.

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Bars aren't opened in most of Europe yet.

I think the opposite is true, they have been open for a few weeks in most of Europe - with various degrees of social distancing rules that got weaker, if they were ever respected by drunk groups in the evening.

Even nightclubs are open in some countries like Switzerland (1 cluster there).

• Like 1

Bars are open in Austria, however, nightclubs ar not, and the planned re-opening of said nightclubs (and brothels and other "nightly" enterprises) has just been postponed thanks to rising numbers (slow rise overall but steep rises in some regions, most of them connected to religious services and low-wage workforce)

• Thanks 1

One thing to keep in mind in terms of the virus allegedly weakening: It could also be the fact, that the viral loads got smaller due to masks, social distancing and more outdoor activities. 

• Like 3

Thought I would share some local news. I live in metro Atlanta. My undergraduate degree is from Georgia Tech (Georgia Instutite of Technology). One of the top science and engineering schools in the US.

As a public institution it is ultimately under the control of the Georgia Board of Regents, who set policy for all public colleges and universities in the state. The Board has recently recommended that students wear masks, but will not require it.

This has led to a revolt amongst the faculty at Tech. As of today over 750 of the 1,100 academic faculty have signed a letter to the Baord of Regents saying it is not following science based evidence and making demands to allow the President of Georgia Tech to be able to act independently to safeguard the campus as well as to make online learning the default mode of instruction for this fall.

There is also a separate letter that is signed by over 1,400 non-academic faculty and staff.

Here is the CNN article on this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/us/georgia-tech-reopening-no-masks/index.html

and here is a local article on this. This includes a link to the full letter.

https://www.gpbnews.org/post/georgia-tech-professors-revolt-over-reopening-say-current-plan-threatens-lives-students-staff

• Like 2

Coworker tested positive yesterday. She was last in the store on a Thursday 10 days ago, as she got sick and stayed home since as a precaution. (Thankfully.) They're rearranging this week's schedule to keep people at home until 14 days have passed since we each last worked with her. I work Monday and Thursday through Saturday, so I'll only have to miss one day, tomorrow.

Victoria has had it's worst day since the outbreak began.

Also, for the first time since the beginning the NSW/Victoria will close from midnight tomorrow. It’s the only state border that was never closed. NSW hasn’t previously closed any borders. 

• Sad 1

Not just Americans, folks! 

(she is hard core defending herself in the comments, BTW)

---

EDIT::

The irony is strong with this one:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it turns out she's an anti-vaxxer.  The "did my own research" is a classic tell of the genre.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

Broadway Actor Nick Cordero passes away at 41 after months of coronavirus complications 

Edited by clockwork
  • Sad 7

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

(she is hard core defending herself in the comments, BTW)

---

EDIT::

The irony is strong with this one:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it turns out she's an anti-vaxxer.  The "did my own research" is a classic tell of the genre.

A true national embarrassment for us Canadians. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

I can confirm I hear more of this kind of dumb shit happening in Toronto than I would like to.

I've been told of a family whose cleaner got sick with influenza-like illness and they were like "well, rather take our chances with COVID than having a dirty house".

Gets worse, someone actually got sick afterwards, and then passed it along to someone else in another family because social distancing is apparently beneath them. On top of that no one is getting tested because they don't want to have to quarantine. :bash:

To be clear, these are second-hand stories and everyone I personally know is being very responsible, but.... :wacko:

Edited by Jason
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3

Today in Ontario we’re reporting no new Covid deaths for the first time in months. Hopefully the trend can continue. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is going to screw your minds :hahaha:

In the UK, for example, there are about 20,000 excess deaths from influenza in a typical year according to Public Health England, however, there were only about 1,700 excess flu deaths in 2018-2019 and there is anecdotal and statistical evidence that the 2019-2020 flu season was also very mild in the UK, the paper says.

“This implies that there were over 30,000 people alive in the UK at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic who would have been expected to die in the previous two flu seasons. These people are likely to have been predominantly elderly and in poor health,” says the working paper, entitled “COVID-19 death rate is higher in European countries with a low flu intensity since 2018”.

http://insight.jbs.cam.ac.uk/2020/flu-and-coronavirus/