google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Covid-19 antibodies can disappear after a few weeks, Spanish government study indicates

Just 5.2% of people in Spain have coronavirus antibodies  — far from a so-called herd immunity level, a government study found. In a potentially worrying development, the study also indicated that people’s immunity to coronavirus wanes after just a few weeks. 

The third and final phase of a large study across Spain found that 5% of participants had antibodies to coronavirus after the first phase, 5.2% after the second phase and again 5.2% after the third phase.

Spain’s study also found that 7% of participants who had antibodies in the first phase no longer showed them by the second phase, and that about 14% who had them in the first phase had lost them by the third phase, although this final figure requires more study, the Health Ministry said in a statement Monday.

This means that any perceived immunity “can be incomplete, transitory and then disappear,” Dr. Raquel Yotti, head of the Carlos III Health Institute, a key government agency leading the study, said in a news conference on Monday.

More on the study: Spain’s study from April to June involved more than 61,000 participants – which the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control told CNN appears to be the largest to date in Europe.

The study “reflects the difficulty of obtaining herd immunity in the short term,” the Health Ministry statement said. 

The medical journal The Lancet on Monday published the peer-reviewed first phase of Spain’s study, which was completed in early May. And in a commentary companion piece, two virologists in Geneva said that herd immunity is “unachievable.”

Spain’s study also found that 10% of health care workers had antibody prevalence and 7.7% of senior care facility workers had antibodies, higher than the national average, the Health Ministry statement said.

Remember: Herd immunity is achieved when enough of a population has become infected with a virus or bacteria – or vaccinated against it – to stop its circulation.

Yotti urged the population, including people who have had Covid-19, to remain cautious and wear masks, maintain social distancing and use hand hygiene. 

• Like 1

I imagine that it mean that about 2.4 million to 3 million something people in Spain with is 42m people got covid (has not everyone infected has them after a while it is hard to know by how much that 5.2% undercount them but probably not by too much), the spanish government was aware of 297.6K case a bit above to just under 10% of them, death rate without much surprise a bit above to a bit below 1% if there 28K deaths figure is close to accurate.

If the USA was has good has Spain at testing that would mean about 24-30 million American got covids (USA tested 114K by millions, spain 116K by millions), that give an idea by how off any death rate talk that use the 3 million case has a denominator could be off by, specially a talk in is change over time has we can assume how disproportionately the missed case can be over time.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

Covid-19 antibodies can disappear after a few weeks, Spanish government study indicates

Just 5.2% of people in Spain have coronavirus antibodies  — far from a so-called herd immunity level, a government study found. In a potentially worrying development, the study also indicated that people’s immunity to coronavirus wanes after just a few weeks. 

The third and final phase of a large study across Spain found that 5% of participants had antibodies to coronavirus after the first phase, 5.2% after the second phase and again 5.2% after the third phase.

Spain’s study also found that 7% of participants who had antibodies in the first phase no longer showed them by the second phase, and that about 14% who had them in the first phase had lost them by the third phase, although this final figure requires more study, the Health Ministry said in a statement Monday.

This means that any perceived immunity “can be incomplete, transitory and then disappear,” Dr. Raquel Yotti, head of the Carlos III Health Institute, a key government agency leading the study, said in a news conference on Monday.

More on the study: Spain’s study from April to June involved more than 61,000 participants – which the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control told CNN appears to be the largest to date in Europe.

The study “reflects the difficulty of obtaining herd immunity in the short term,” the Health Ministry statement said. 

The medical journal The Lancet on Monday published the peer-reviewed first phase of Spain’s study, which was completed in early May. And in a commentary companion piece, two virologists in Geneva said that herd immunity is “unachievable.”

Spain’s study also found that 10% of health care workers had antibody prevalence and 7.7% of senior care facility workers had antibodies, higher than the national average, the Health Ministry statement said.

Remember: Herd immunity is achieved when enough of a population has become infected with a virus or bacteria – or vaccinated against it – to stop its circulation.

Yotti urged the population, including people who have had Covid-19, to remain cautious and wear masks, maintain social distancing and use hand hygiene. 

We have other studies that show exposure to Covid-19 through T-Cell tests on blood donors.

They show that mild cases do not create measurable antibodies and the actual number with T-Cells specific to COVID19 equate to around 30% of the population.

So the antibody tests mean nothing if the vast majority of people are asymptomatic or mild cases.

54 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Magical Thinking and Conspiracy Theories Kill.

• Thanks 1

TRump offical just said the world looks to the US as a leader in fighing Covid 19.

What kids to me is Trump and his minions make such stupid lies, obviouly false.

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

TRump offical just said the world looks to the US as a leader in fighing Covid 19.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I think the headline should be "mom tried to murder her daughter 100 different ways, and eventually one worked"...I'm sure she'll be looking at "neglect and abuse resulting in death" charges...

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think the headline should be "mom tried to murder her daughter 100 different ways, and eventually one worked"...I'm sure she'll be looking at "neglect and abuse resulting in death" charges...

And she will walk. Claim it was bacuse of your religion, you can get away with just about anything.

Bolsonaro with covid, again? Probably something else. He just had to do something to stay in the race for Worst Leader after Trump's spectacular week.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

If the Republicans were to pull their heads out of their backsides for a second they’d actually see that Trump is the laughing stock of the entire planet...except we’re not laughing, we’re just horrified that a global super power is handling it so badly. We look at the US as an example of how NOT to handle COVID-19.

Melbourne lockdowned again for 6 weeks. 

This shows the rest of the country. 

• Like 2

Not like I had much planned for the upcoming weeks but still it sucks it has to happen (though completely necessary).

Hope it's a warning to the other states not to get too complacent (also helps you actually have proper security at hotels...)

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

Governor Newsom just ordered nonessential businesses closed in my county and 18 others. Parts of California are now back to full lock down mode.

At this point, I truly do wonder if any movie will get released this year. Also, I expect another delay from Tenet next week at the earliest.

Edited by CloneWars

NSW Police have sent 650 police to the border plus 350 army personnel. Albury-Wodonga is a twin city on the border of about 100,000 people straddling both sides of the border. The Hume Highway, the main highway between Sydney and Melbourne, goes through the city. Overall there are 55 border crossings. 

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

NSW Police have sent 650 police to the border plus 350 army personnel. Albury-Wodonga is a twin city on the border of about 100,000 people straddling both sides of the border. The Hume Highway, the main highway between Sydney and Melbourne, goes through the city. Overall there are 55 border crossings. 

I guess Oz is in midwinter now which is the worse time for spreading.

• Like 1

Mandatory masks for indoor public places and transit rolling out in some places in Canada.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/masks-to-be-mandatory-in-montreal-s-indoor-public-spaces-by-july-27-mayor-plante-1.5012934

Currently in Montreal, masks are only mandatory in one suburb, Cote-Saint-Luc, where the rule went into effect last week. They will become mandatory on public transit on July 13, though there will then be a two-week grace period, and enforcement will also begin July 27.

Other Canadian cities have also moved recently to make masks mandatory, though with shorter delays. On Monday, the City of Ottawa announced that masks will be required as of 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, just a few hours later.

Toronto announced on June 30 that it was giving about a week's notice before masks would become mandatory starting July 7, the same day as Ottawa.

• Like 1

Masks should have been made mandatory in March. Almost all Europe did that.  How come in Canada with reasonably good management it happens only in July? And what about "grace period"? Really childish approach. Apparently COVID will also take a two week grace period. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

Masks should have been made mandatory in March. Almost all Europe did that.  How come in Canada with reasonably good management it happens only in July? And what about "grace period"? Really childish approach. Apparently COVID will also take a two week grace period. 

Because our politicians lack a backbone sometimes. Always reacting instead of being proactive. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

Masks still aren’t mandatory in the UK apart from on public transport, and it seems like that’s only being seriously enforced in London. Where I am in Yorkshire masks are still a rarity, even on public transport. I live on a bus route and I see more people on buses going past without a mask than there are people wearing them. You can’t blame the bus drivers though because I fully empathise with them not wanting to receive abuse. The people who are refusing to wear them are just selfish pricks.

I fully expect some sort of widespread lockdown again after the past weekend, there’s already reports of pubs closing down again and having to contact their customers after someone who visited tested positive. Opening pubs this early was a totally stupid decision motivated entirely by greed.