DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

5 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

This is a purely senseless waste of life. From the Chief Medical Officer of Methodist Heathcare in San Antonio.

Giving a video update on the conditions in San Antonio she relates this story. 30 yr old man attends a COVID party and contracts the disease. Shortly before dying he tells his nurse "I think I made a mistake, I thought it was a hoax."

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/07/12/i-think-i-made-mistake-young-man-texas-dies-after-attending-covid-party/

It’s tragic, and hopefully this being publicized will save at least one person from the same stupidity. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is really annoying from Disney. I know the stock is depressed because most of their revenue is hit badly and theme parks are big part of it. But this harakiri is not the best way. its going to be unmitigated disaster.

Maybe just maybe they should have used their 500 million dividend to pay staff instead. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Eric Skywalker said:

This was exactly four months ago. Once again, I'm a genius

That and also the "this is America and I'll do what I want" mentality. I was at the mall today and there were plenty of people (in groups too) without masks on. At some point we gotta hold individuals responsible as well.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The hidden cost of lockdown.

Scots cancer deaths soar as 900 patients die at home during lockdown

You mean, (some of) the hidden cost of the coronavirus.

How many do you think would have died of cancer, had all hospitals been full of dying covid patients for months and months?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, filmlover said:

That and also the "this is America and I'll do what I want" mentality. I was at the mall today and there were plenty of people (in groups too) without masks on. At some point we gotta hold individuals responsible as well.

Honestly, at this point I don’t know why we’re not mandating masks and fining those who ignore it. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Honestly, at this point I don’t know why we’re not mandating masks and fining those who ignore it. 

Because it's our FREEDOM that's under attack, that's why! Wearing a face covering over our mouths and noses that might save lives is a constitutional crisis if there ever was one.

I wouldn't even place the blame entirely on the country reopening too early at this point (even if individual companies didn't do much to stem the tide that resulted from months of cabin fever). Even with the rules and guidelines in place to gain some sense of normalcy back, too many people would rather catch the deadly disease that can easily be spread around than "be told what to do." Add to that shitty leadership that has only contributed to the chaos and it's easy to see why we're in the place that we are.

Edited by filmlover
5 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

How many do you think would have died of cancer, had all hospitals been full of dying covid patients for months and months?

exactly ... same in Austria, there's some talk about the cost in human lives by the shutdown because of people not going to the hospitals - but there was no way you could have saved those lives except by sacrificing others; hospitals are among the worst spreading environments we know.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Oncologists studies in the UK indicate the prognosis for cancer patients, due to the suspension of screening programs and early intervention methods, is excess deaths of between 25 and 50,000.

That's on top of the 20,000 non-covid related excess deaths that have already occured.

Edited by AndyK
1 hour ago, IndustriousAngel said:

aEPpn3G_460swp.webp

Yeah, it's a non-issue.

Don't know why people are so hung up on it.

There was an issue early on in the pandemic when the masks were all needed for key workers. But now the supply chain is sorted, it should be mandatory indoors.

One other thing that is very concerning to me: The Atlantic hurricane season will be underway from now one, most storms form in August and September. I doubt that the pandemic is even cloce to under control by then in states like Florida, Georgia or Louisiana, so the virus coupled with a big-enough hurricane could lead to total disaster. Social distancing amid a possible hurricane imo seems harder than ever.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cax16 said:

I would trust a russian vaccine as much as i trust the official russian Covid numbers - not.

Its simply impossible to have a vaccine in August. Or atleast a vaccine that is safe and works.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I would trust a russian vaccine as much as i trust the official russian Covid numbers - not.

Its simply impossible to have a vaccine in August. Or atleast a vaccine that is safe and works.

You’re saying this isn’t a face you can trust?

tenor.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Stage 3 is happening in a portion of Ontario Friday, not Toronto(and some other regions yet).

Stage 3 for us is indoor dining, bars, movie theatres, gatherings of 50 indoors now and 100 outdoors. No theme parks or larger sporting events etc.

I’m most concerned with bars but I won’t be going anywhere for the next while anyways. Masks are mandatory in indoor settings in most regions also. 

We’re down to about 110-140 cases daily and usually around 0.7-0.9% positivity rate. I think it’s a little soon to move to this stage but we’ll see what happens over the next few weeks.

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1