DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

12 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Looks like you were both right.....

I remember watching a report on BBC World News a little over a week ago where they talked to one of the female researchers working on the Oxford vaccine and were trying to get her to give a timeline. She didn't really want to, the best she was willing to give them was mid 2021.

Also keep in mind there are multiple points in the supply chain where this could get blown up. The billions of medical grade glass tubes. The syringes, etc. You have to have all of those supplies ready at the same time so you can actually use the vaccine that eventually comes about. The glass tubes are the ones I hear alot about now and that getting the volume ready that will be needed is going to be a tall task.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, doublejack said:

Is today the day the US goes over 70k COVID cases? We're at 48k right now and that's with a minimal contribution from California and Texas, both of which have averaged about 10k cases a day lately. 

11,000+ today from California. 

• Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1
26 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

11,000+ today from California. 

Suffice to say I will put it this way. I was ready to send my kid to school 4 days a week in September. One conversation and multiple drinks (about 10 too few) I agreed with the home school strategy after facing the realities from the hospital perspective.

To say I'm pessimistic about the next few months is WOEFULLY understated. 

Cancelled my mom's trip in September too. No flights till late December.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The same article also says:

Can no one read the fine print?

There will NOT be a widely distributed vaccine (at least by AstraZeneca) before the end of the year.

The 300m order from CEPI + the 100m order by Britain makes up the 400m doses committed to in the AZ press release I perviously cited.

300 million doses (after removing the 100m committed to England) will be shared among the rest of the world in the first half of 2021. That's not nearly enough to consider a vaccine widely distributed by the end of this year. Not even close.

EDIT: I'm not going to keep going back and forth on this. If anyone wants to think that widespread vaccine distribution is right around the corner, by all means, it's your right to think that.

They don't want to read the fine print. That would ruin their quick fix fantasy.

False Optimism is a major factor in getting u into this mess.

Life is not going to back to "normal" for a long,long, time.Period, end of story.

39 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Suffice to say I will put it this way. I was ready to send my kid to school 4 days a week in September. One conversation and multiple drinks (about 10 too few) I agreed with the home school strategy after facing the realities from the hospital perspective.

To say I'm pessimistic about the next few months is WOEFULLY understated. 

Cancelled my mom's trip in September too. No flights till late December.

Yep, we had our son scheduled to start summer day camp. We canceled that (well, on a week by week basis) and I’m girding myself mentally for online school next month. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

In France there are some signs of a resurgence of the virus, it's still weak and under control but it's taken seriously here and that's why the government will make wearing masks in closed public spaces (shops, restaurants, theaters..etc..) MANDATORY from next week on.

I always wear a mask in such spaces so it won't change anything for me but it's clear not everyone does it: When I go shopping you basically have 40-50% of people with a mask and 50-60% without a mask. It's sad to say but forcing people is the only way.

At least I'm confident it won't reach US levels, not even remotely close and that's reassuring, I'm sad for all these Americans being worried and scared..I understand them because these numbers are so crazy. Good luck everyone living in the US, wish you the best.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2
48 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

In France there are some signs of a resurgence of the virus, it's still weak and under control but it's taken seriously here and that's why the government will make wearing masks in closed public spaces (shops, restaurants, theaters..etc..) MANDATORY from next week on.

I always wear a mask in such spaces so it won't change anything for me but it's clear not everyone does it: When I go shopping you basically have 40-50% of people with a mask and 50-60% without a mask. It's sad to say but forcing people is the only way.

At least I'm confident it won't reach US levels, not even remotely close and that's reassuring, I'm sad for all these Americans being worried and scared..I understand them because these numbers are so crazy. Good luck everyone living in the US, wish you the best.

Same here. Barcelona area is becoming really worrying. Its main satellite city (Hospitalet, population 300k, 5 km away from Barcelona) could be confined within a few days.

Some regions have started the same politics than you say: mandatory masks in every public space. And I guess it will be mandatory in the whole country sooner than later. In my city, I see most people wearing masks (maybe 90%), but I hear than in other regions the use is way lower, with absurd behaviour from young people.

Football team Real Madrid, which could win La Liga tonight, has begged supporters to not celebrate the success as usual, in Cibeles fountain, in the city center. But I guess that many will not obey...

You are absolutely right: it is sad, but the only way to prevent this is forcing people to do things, like wearing masks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They have locked down Leicester UK because of a spike in the large Asian community.

They are using this as a warning to other towns, who are now soiling their pants where similar communities are showing increases. Extra increase in test and trace in these areas which now have postcode data available.

Mask wearing in shops becomes mandatory from the 24th. It's already mandatory on public transport.

• Like 1

You have to enforce and you have to punish. Otherwise it wouldn't work. Recommend, encourage, guidance those are useless words and efforts because people are not obliged to do anything. 

• Like 1

In Austria, atm there's some regions where masks are still mandatory because of spiking infections but I guess sooner or later it will be the whole country again. It's really the simplest measure you can take and miles better than shutting down shops. Most impact with little effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, juni78ukr said:

You have to enforce and you have to punish. Otherwise it wouldn't work. Recommend, encourage, guidance those are useless words and efforts because people are not obliged to do anything. 

• Astonished 1

17 cases reported today in a local orphanage. 15 among kids. Basically one kid out of two got Covid.  So far nothing serious but a strong case against opening schools i suppose.

• Sad 1