google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Recommended Posts

Best tourism ad ever. 
 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 11:00 AM, Madhuvan said:

It may sound bit insensitive but India handled Coronavirus situation much better than other country. 

 

It was very easy for the virus to spread in India but the government took proper measures from beginning. 

 

 

I was reading through the early pages a bit, and... 😬    
 

It’s interesting how little we knew about the virus even a fair bit after it started spreading. US gov would recommend against mask wearing for quite a while after this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perisher is making masks mandatory from Monday. I going on Friday. 
 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is the only video I could find about this Fauci/covid expose, from the official (?) channel. It currently has 4 views.

 

Unfortunately they only included a summary of the week in 80 seconds, but that is enough to make your brain explode in joy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

Another 1,000+ day. First time since May 20-23 that US has had 4 straight days over 1,000

 

 

 

Given deaths only occur several weeks after infection I suppose it's not gonna stop there....Will the US go back to their previous average of 2,000-2,500 death a day? Or maybe go beyond 3,000?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Perisher is making masks mandatory from Monday. I going on Friday. 
 

 

damn i'm jealous.  once this is all over might have to make another trip :P

 

you staying in Jindabyne or in perisher itself ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JJ-8 said:

damn i'm jealous.  once this is all over might have to make another trip :P

 

you staying in Jindabyne or in perisher itself ?

On snow. I’m a member of a lodge. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

 

Given deaths only occur several weeks after infection I suppose it's not gonna stop there....Will the US go back to their previous average of 2,000-2,500 death a day? Or maybe go beyond 3,000?

 

 

I hope not and right now the models don't predict it.

The models that give longer range projections have the 7 day avg death rate topping out around 1,050-1,100 by mid-August (that avg right now is just under 900) and then a long slow decline with the death rate not getting below where it was in early June until early October. The upper confidence interval is around 1,700 though, so it could get really bad. 

 

The 2 longest range models are estimating about 220,000 deaths by Nov 1 (which is so sad and depressing). US was approaching 100,000 deaths on Memorial Day and we are going to be at 150,000 by July 31/Aug 1 and then likely over 200,000 by November.  

 

Right now it looks like AZ and FL may have peaked - but that could also be due to testing as the number of test have dropped in the last week. Texas looks to be approaching peak, CA is still rising and there are plenty of other states that are still increasing in cases. If you think about the progression from infections, to testing, to hospitalization to death to reporting of that death - that can take a month. Hospitalizations will likely peak a couple weeks after cases peak and deaths could peak 3-4 weeks after a positive test. So once you get past peak on cases your hospitalizations and deaths will likely continue to increase for another 2-3 weeks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

 

Given deaths only occur several weeks after infection I suppose it's not gonna stop there....Will the US go back to their previous average of 2,000-2,500 death a day? Or maybe go beyond 3,000?

 

 

I don't see it happening. Maybe 1500 we'll see in a week then the numbers may start falling again. Still just sad how bad we bungled this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how neutralising antibodies differ from normal antibodies, but there is a new test for them which determines immunity more accurately than the normal test.

 

Neutralising antibodies are detected in SARS1 infected patients after 17 years which bodes well for SARS2 immunity.

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johncumbers/2020/07/24/a-new-test-shows-whether-your-immune-system-can-neutralize-the-coronavirus/

Edited by AndyK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another 1,000+ day, 5th in a row -first time since May 19-23.

 

Weekly numbers. Avg 899 deaths for the week. Cases look flat - Hopefully things are flattening, but some of that may just be testing issues -especially the backlog in tests. Hospitalizations are undercounted due to reporting problems with the new Hospital reporting system. Multiple states are having issues including TX and CA in reporting their full hospitalization numbers. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in the category of 'stupid is as studid does'

The head of FL Business Regulation Dept is setting up meeting with bars and breweries to discuss how to reopen them. Anybody believe it will be a 'Safe, Smart, and Step-by_step' plan.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People just can't admit that some things are not safe anymore. Always business first. peope second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

in the category of 'stupid is as studid does'

The head of FL Business Regulation Dept is setting up meeting with bars and breweries to discuss how to reopen them. Anybody believe it will be a 'Safe, Smart, and Step-by_step' plan.

Yet less stupid/sad than this:

Quote

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

People just can't admit that some things are not safe anymore. Always business first. peope second.

Well, yes, but keep in mind that business means people, too.

 

Here in Austria, tourism is a very important segment of the economy; in my Tyrol about 35% of GDP. Austria has done a remarkable job of bending thre curve and getting the virus under control, but by now, most restaurants, bars and so on are open, plus tourists everywhere (of course, a lot less then pre-Corona) and accordingly, cases are on the rise again. This is something we have to live with until a vaccine is available. We can't have 100% safety, the difficult thing is finding the balance between safe and out-of-control, and that's what we will be doing for the rest of the year.

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is Melbourne. Apparently she’s a “sovereign citizen”. 

  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Well, yes, but keep in mind that business means people, too.

 

Here in Austria, tourism is a very important segment of the economy; in my Tyrol about 35% of GDP. Austria has done a remarkable job of bending thre curve and getting the virus under control, but by now, most restaurants, bars and so on are open, plus tourists everywhere (of course, a lot less then pre-Corona) and accordingly, cases are on the rise again. This is something we have to live with until a vaccine is available. We can't have 100% safety, the difficult thing is finding the balance between safe and out-of-control, and that's what we will be doing for the rest of the year.

I guess the world can easily live a year or even more without bars, nightclubs and parties. Would be better for people too spending money on more sensible things. And after 3 weeks of tourists coming Spain is close to 2nd lockdown. If fact they already have it in some regions. 

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

I guess the world can easily live a year or even more without bars, nightclubs and parties. Would be better for people too spending money on more sensible things. And after 3 weeks of tourists coming Spain is close to 2nd lockdown. If fact they already have it in some regions. 

yep, that's what I meant - we might have to apply more severe measures in some regions while others recover. But we can't close all gastronomy for a year, the damage to the economy would outweigh the saved lives by far. So it has to be a constant fine-tuning of measures vs. freedoms. Here in Austria, we had more than 40 cases this weekend in a small touristic village: https://www.nachrichten.at/oberoesterreich/29-faelle-in-st-wolfgang-neue-testergebnisse-am-abend;art4,3278066

The good thing is that by now, there is enough testing capacity, about half of the >600 PCR tests done in the village on Saturday were already finished the same evening. It doesn't replace tracing+isolation, though - just helps with those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.