google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

16 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

This will start phase3 tests in August. I think, the more vaccine candidates the better, but even if that thing does what it's supposed to do, Russia will have their hands plenty full with saving their own country; while science and research are not far from world-class, their industry and infrastructure are miles behind US or EU standards. It's one thing developing the vaccine, and a completely other thing producing and distributing and administering it in the needed quantities.

Putin might well rlease the VIrus without testing.

Frankly, I cniser any statement from the RUssian GOvernment as false until proven otherwise.

Victoria just can't bring their outbreak under control.  Yesterday Victoria sadly moved to having more deaths then the rest of the country combined.  Over 700 for the day is more about double the worst day of local local transmission nationwide then the worst day back in March/April. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Victoria just can't bring their outbreak under control.  Yesterday Victoria sadly moved to having more deaths then the rest of the country combined.  Over 700 for the day is more about double the worst day of local local transmission nationwide then the worst day back in March/April. 

Indeed worst day for Australia since COVID broke out I believe. 723 cases, 13 dead in Victoria. 3 cases QLD, 18 cases NSW
744cases / 13 deaths

EDIT - previous highs 537 cases / 10 deaths according to worldometer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Face coverings to be mandatory from Sunday onwards across the state 

• Like 2

Maybe it would be already over if masks were made mandatory everywhere in April or March. Four or even five months lost for nothing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

Maybe it would be already over if masks were made mandatory everywhere in April or March. Four or even five months lost for nothing.

Back in March and April, there was a worldwide shortness of protective gear, thence the tendency of many governments to keep them for medical staff. But from then on, that's no excuse any longer; masks are the cheapest and most non-intrusive way to slow the spread.

• Like 1

Good job, well done. Evacuation centers will be the next epicenter

• Sad 2

57% of Mumbais slum residents have had Covid.

I guess the low average lifespan means the population is younger and thus lower IFR.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/29/half-of-mumbais-slum-residents-have-had-coronavirus-study

Looking at the news is depressing, its taking off again just about everywhere.

The WHO says there is no second wave, it's just one big wave.

They need to start vaccinations immediately.

Edited by AndyK

Welp, that thing we all knew was going to happen finally happened

England had Europe's highest excess death rate in first half of 2020, says report

From CNN's Sharon Braithwaite in London

England registered the highest excess death rate in Europe for the first six months of 2020, according to a report published Thursday by the UK’s Office for National Statistics (ONS). 

The report -- which compared “all-cause mortality rates” across Europe with the five-year average -- indicated that “while England did not have the highest peak mortality, it did have the longest continuous period of excess mortality of any country compared.”

“We compared what we normally would expect to see in a week based on the previous five-year average with what we've actually observed as a result of Covid-19 but also other deaths that might be related to that. And that really shows the tragic impact of Covid-19,” Ben Humberstone, ONS Head of Health Analysis and Life Events, told the BBC Thursday.

“Of the four nations of the UK [England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland], England had the highest peak excess mortality (107.6% in week ending April 17),” the report reads.

“The highest peak excess mortality at national level was in Spain, with some local areas in Northern Italy and Central Spain having excess mortality levels as high as 847.7% of the average,” said ONS demographer Edward Morgan.

He said that while most Western European countries had very localized outbreaks, as seen in the worst-hit areas of Italy and Spain, excess mortality was widespread in the UK.

The province of Bergamo, the hardest hit by coronavirus in Italy, saw excess deaths about 9.5 times higher than expected during the peak of the pandemic.

“The closest UK region would be the London borough of Brent, which is broadly equivalent, which saw rates at about 4.5 times what we'd normally expect to see,” Humberstone told the BBC.

The ONS looked also at major cities and found that “the highest peak excess mortality was in Madrid at 432.7% (week ending March 27) while in the UK, Birmingham had the highest peak excess mortality of any major British city at 249.7%."

Herman Cain died from Covid after attending the Trump rally and railing against masks

• Sad 1

@DeeCee

You seem to be the Australia expert.

One thing that struck me ist, that during Australis "first Wave" 65% of cases were aquired overseas. Only now, during the annual Influenza wave, you have the first real communityl outbreak. So looking at those facts and also other places, like Europe, might there, after all, be a certain kind of seasonality for Corona as well? 

Uruguay will be the first country in south América to reopen theatres, cinemas and museums next monday. 

Today we have 220 active cases in 3.5 million inhabitants. 

The fear is in the borders with the two big neighbours, Brazil and Argentina, both with huge amount of cases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Herman Cain died from Covid after attending the Trump rally and railing against masks

damn. What do they have against masks? ffs

40 minutes ago, Maggie said:

They're just asking questions.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Couldn't beat something this big twice - I hadn't realized he already beat stage 4 cancer that gave him little survival chance in the 21st century.  I guess when you do beat something like that, you feel like you're on house money from then on.

Edited by TwoMisfits

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Welp, that thing we all knew was going to happen finally happened

SCREW THE CONSTUTION! MY WILL IS LAW!

What

4 hours ago, Maggie said:

What do they have against science in general?

I am convinced that so many of the Republican Right is composed of Christian FUndies who hate science because it cinflicts with their 2000 year old book of fairy tales is behind a lot of the anti science atittude.

• Not Cool 1

Ontario gave their back to school plan today. Masks are mandatory for grades 4-12, but younger kids won’t have to wear them even though they’re encouraged too. Class sizes remain the same for kindergarten to grade 8, with full days. Staggered lunches, recesses and bathroom breaks.

High school class sizes are 15 now and they’ll do a mix of remote and in class learning.

Parents also have the option of just doing remote learning for the kids(any age)

My kids are older now so I have the luxury of them being able to stay home so we’ll be going the remote learning route at least for now. I’m not comfortable with my son in a class of 30, they won’t be able to distance, and even with masks there’s still risks. Also, the younger kids won’t be wearing masks so that could spread things around as well.

For now I think it’s safer for everyone for the kids to stay home. I understand many parents don’t have the same option cause their kids are younger and they have to work so I really feel bad for a lot of parents here.

I think the right solution was to mandate masks for all kids, and cut class sizes down to at 15 for the kids from k-8, and use the high schools for

them as well, the high school students could just do remote learning. I know there’s no perfect plan though. 

I hope everything goes smoothly but I have my doubts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I know there’s no perfect plan though. 

wise words ... we should always keep in mind that this is a disaster, only in slow-motion - there's no "right" path through it, just better and worse ones.

• Like 1