DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

33 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Ontario gave their back to school plan today. Masks are mandatory for grades 4-12, but younger kids won’t have to wear them even though they’re encouraged too. Class sizes remain the same for kindergarten to grade 8, with full days. Staggered lunches, recesses and bathroom breaks.

High school class sizes are 15 now and they’ll do a mix of remote and in class learning.

Parents also have the option of just doing remote learning for the kids(any age)

My kids are older now so I have the luxury of them being able to stay home so we’ll be going the remote learning route at least for now. I’m not comfortable with my son in a class of 30, they won’t be able to distance, and even with masks there’s still risks. Also, the younger kids won’t be wearing masks so that could spread things around as well.

For now I think it’s safer for everyone for the kids to stay home. I understand many parents don’t have the same option cause their kids are younger and they have to work so I really feel bad for a lot of parents here.

I think the right solution was to mandate masks for all kids, and cut class sizes down to at 15 for the kids from k-8, and use the high schools for

them as well, the high school students could just do remote learning. I know there’s no perfect plan though. 

I hope everything goes smoothly but I have my doubts. 

We have finalized our independent kindergarten pod. We hired a teacher that was the grandmother of one of the children with 30 years of Montessori experience. Obviously paying $10,000 for a year versus free royally sucks. All seven kids will wear masks And we are guaranteed through June 30th of next year. 

This whole process was horrible and financially it's upsetting but the reality is I feel way safer with her in this process and there's a lot less unknown.

• Like 2

US GDP shrunk almost 3rd in Q2 but Big tech is raking all the money. Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google, PayPal etc all have Humongous beat for Q2 and shares are all at All Time High. I am not complaining as I am heavily invested in big tech. Thanks to Fed for easy money, Stock Market(especially tech side) have shot up higher at escape velocity. Dont know if Biden election win will only bring down the market short term. Medium term the stability of Biden government and avoiding tariff will be positive for the economy and stock market will go up. Plus interest rates will remain close to zero for next few years until economy will recover completely and so stock market will remain the best bet for yield.  

Refinance!

2.25% 30 year loans available for VA. 2.625 conventional available for a few thousand to close

I got paid $1000 to close at 2.875

Today's Campagn Rally..excuse me, Covid briefing..has begun with Trump saying that Cain was killed by the China Virus. Great start.

I would not put starting a actual war with China beyond him at this point.

As I write he just took a potshot at Governor Cumeo..

17 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Refinance!

2.25% 30 year loans available for VA. 2.625 conventional available for a few thousand to close

I got paid $1000 to close at 2.875

we are in the last 2 days of due diligence to buy a house that will hopefully be our golden years home. 

2.75%.

On the Trump election tweet. When a couple of dozen members of your own party say, no that's not happening, that is when you have actually gone too far.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Poseidon said:

@DeeCee

You seem to be the Australia expert.

One thing that struck me ist, that during Australis "first Wave" 65% of cases were aquired overseas. Only now, during the annual Influenza wave, you have the first real communityl outbreak. So looking at those facts and also other places, like Europe, might there, after all, be a certain kind of seasonality for Corona as well? 

It’s probably to hard to say. The outbreak is primarily confined to one state, Victoria which has about 90-95% of the new cases. The outbreak occurred in Victoria due to unique circumstances with poor control of Hotel Quarantine. Genome testing has sourced pretty much all cases back to confirmed cases in Hotel Quarantine. 

Melbourne is the most southerly large city and is the wettest and coldest this time of year so that probably hasn’t helped. 

The smaller outbreak in NSW has all been linked back to Victoria. NSW Health are much better at contact tracing. Each day for the last few weeks there have been 10-20 new cases each day and they’re nearly always immediately linked to a known cluster or Hotel quarantine. 

Outside of Victoria it’s more then likely the virus had been eliminated much the same as New Zealand. 

Edit:NSW for the 24 hours to 8pm yesterday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RIP.

Vietnam records first Covid-19 death

A 70-year-old man has died after contracting Covid-19 in Vietnam, the first coronavirus-related death to be recorded in the country, which has been widely praised for its response to the pandemic.

Vietnam responded quickly to the outbreak in January and used extensive contact tracing and strict quarantine rules to prevent the spread of the virus. So far, the country of 96 million has recorded 509 cases. Critical cases have been so rare over recent months, that they have been reported extensively by the media. The treatment and eventual recovery of a Scottish pilot, who spent 68 days on a ventilator, gripped the public.

The country was on the brink of recording 100 days without any locally transmitted cases when, last weekend, a cluster emerged in the central city Da Nang. Since then, infections have emerged in other cities, including Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.

About 260 people at an overnight Georgia summer camp – including 51 kids 10 years and younger – tested positive for the coronavirus after the camp did not implement several precautionary measures, providing further evidence that children of all ages are susceptible to infection and "might play an important role in transmission," according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report Friday.

Among 597 people at the camp, test results were available for 344 attendees, and 76% of those tests were positive. Among campers aged 6-10 who provided test results, 51% were positive, along with 44% of those aged 11-17 years, and 33% of those aged 18-21 years.

The camp implemented "most" of the CDC’s recommendations for reducing the risk of transmission – such as requiring all participants to provide documentation of a negative test before arriving – but did not mandate face masks for campers or open windows and doors for increased ventilation in buildings.

"These findings demonstrate that SARS-CoV-2 spread efficiently in a youth-centric overnight setting, resulting in high attack rates among persons in all age groups, despite efforts by camp officials to implement most recommended strategies to prevent transmission. Asymptomatic infection was common and potentially contributed to undetected transmission," the authors wrote

28 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

Congratulations to Sweden for successfully achieving herd immunity.

Sweden's outbreak is under control now but I can't find any evidence to support that it's a result of herd immunity. Seroprevalence was 7.3% as of the end of April, if you assumed that the total number of infected is now double that (based on the death toll), then you arrive at about ~15% seroprevalence. Which is not likely to be sufficient for herd immunity.

Much more likely that a combination of voluntary measures such as distancing and mask-wearing have combined to result in R (the reproductive number) being held consistently below 1.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Jason said:

Sweden's outbreak is under control now but I can't find any evidence to support that it's a result of herd immunity. Seroprevalence was 7.3% as of the end of April, if you assumed that the total number of infected is now double that (based on the death toll), then you arrive at about ~15% seroprevalence. Which is not likely to be sufficient for herd immunity.

Much more likely that a combination of voluntary measures such as distancing and mask-wearing have combined to result in R (the reproductive number) being held consistently below 1.

By now, Sweden has probably more severe restrictions than most european countries ... plus, no one is traveling there, and visitors from Sweden are not exactly welcome elsewhere. Most of the recent clusters in Austria are related to travel, touristic and otherwise. (Family visits to eastern europe are playing a big part right now)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes and also:

1. The current level of contagion is still 10x worse than in Norway or Finland, and one of the highest in Western Europe.

2. It will get worse (like everywhere) once schools reopen.

To possibly explain the confusion: their chief scientist is a psychopathic con artist of the highest order. Sweden now has social distancing measures similar to its neighbours and has even tried to test&trace (they're just doing it badly); but he claims that any success in covid reduction is mainly due to a mysterious "herd immunity" that doesn't appear in any study. And many other wild claims and lies that have made him a darling of some Internet people - not unlike the hydroxychloroquine doctors.

By the way there is almost no mask-wearing in Sweden, their con man/nursing home scourge/epidemiologist demands more peer-reviewed studies about their effectiveness - while he keeps lying about herd immunity levels without any study to back up his claims.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

About 260 people at an overnight Georgia summer camp – including 51 kids 10 years and younger – tested positive for the coronavirus after the camp did not implement several precautionary measures, providing further evidence that children of all ages are susceptible to infection and "might play an important role in transmission," according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report Friday.

Among 597 people at the camp, test results were available for 344 attendees, and 76% of those tests were positive. Among campers aged 6-10 who provided test results, 51% were positive, along with 44% of those aged 11-17 years, and 33% of those aged 18-21 years.

The camp implemented "most" of the CDC’s recommendations for reducing the risk of transmission – such as requiring all participants to provide documentation of a negative test before arriving – but did not mandate face masks for campers or open windows and doors for increased ventilation in buildings.

"These findings demonstrate that SARS-CoV-2 spread efficiently in a youth-centric overnight setting, resulting in high attack rates among persons in all age groups, despite efforts by camp officials to implement most recommended strategies to prevent transmission. Asymptomatic infection was common and potentially contributed to undetected transmission," the authors wrote

I will say it again"Geworgia is long overdue for another little visit from General Sherman...

36 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I will say it again"Geworgia is long overdue for another little visit from General Sherman...

I hate that this is happening but my wife has a very clear head on COVID. Her parents are hard right, she's never been affiliated with any party. She sees this without any political calculation and was freaked out about school. In one 45 minute conversation she changed my mind. God bless her, seriously.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

6 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Yes and also:

1. The current level of contagion is still 10x worse than in Norway or Finland, and one of the highest in Western Europe.

2. It will get worse (like everywhere) once schools reopen.

To possibly explain the confusion: their chief scientist is a psychopathic con artist of the highest order. Sweden now has social distancing measures similar to its neighbours and has even tried to test&trace (they're just doing it badly); but he claims that any success in covid reduction is mainly due to a mysterious "herd immunity" that doesn't appear in any study. And many other wild claims and lies that have made him a darling of some Internet people - not unlike the hydroxychloroquine doctors.

By the way there is almost no mask-wearing in Sweden, their con man/nursing home scourge/epidemiologist demands more peer-reviewed studies about their effectiveness - while he keeps lying about herd immunity levels without any study to back up his claims.

there is no mask wearing in Sweden. And the death toll no long growing. So it has to be the result of herd immunity. what else?

• Not Cool 1

33 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

there is no mask wearing in Sweden. And the death toll no long growing. So it has to be the result of herd immunity. what else?

Even though there are no government mandates Sweden has been social distancing/mask wearing on their own.

And their deaths per million are 3rd highest.

• Like 1

So many aged people died in Sweden that the most vulnerable are already gone. And for Swedish culture and mentality going to a bar and loud parties are not very common things. They are generally healthy people so you have to screw up really bad to get so many deaths.  They have no tourism and almost no import cases. And they are not testing everyone dead or dying. Basically no isolation or quarantine and little or no contact tracing.

More indignity: now Germany is beating the US at their own game.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 3