DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 hour ago, Sanderson said:

A couple of pages ago you say that Sweden has achieved herd immunity.  No source.

Now you say that 1 billion people are "probably" infected.  No source.  This would be a 100 fold increase in reported cases worldwide.

Am I missing something?  I thought misinformation was discouraged here.

Edit: That should be about 50 times more.  2 orders of magnitude compared to currently reported cases.

It is. It may be that for whatever reason people aren't reporting those comments. I know I declined to report his previous comment because I decided it would be better to address it.

And yes, suggesting 1 billion worldwide infections is absurd. Even if you assume that half of the COVID deaths worldwide are being missed (almost certainly an overestimate), that would put us at about 1.4M deaths. And even using a low IFR of 0.5% (it's probably closer to 1%), that would result in about ~300M infections. But that is towards the upper range of plausibility, it's not probable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I donno about your country, just telling about mine.

And yeah people died. At personal level, its fucking worst. But on national level, the lockdown has done more damage in a third world country like India than COVID where government isn't ready to provide to its people.

Just 1k people died due to lockdown, coming back to their homes on foot, thousands of miles away because government had shut down public transportation.

There was an emergency situation when daily number of cases were 100.

And now when cases are increasing by 60k no one is giving a shit. COVID isn't in News anymore, that is filled with an actor's suicide last month.

Markets are as full as they were before COVID, and markets in 3rd world country like India are shit.

Only things closed in India are Cinemas and schools. 

So yeah, my country over-reacted and now not even caring.

Also Fuck Trump.

The failure of the lockdown and one of the major factor for the economic downturn is government incompetence rather than over reaction imo. 

A lot of the issues around lockdown such as the migrant issue could have been avoided if the government had a solid plan at the beginning. But instead we got a hastily and last minute announced lockdown. 

A lot of economic issues could have been mitigated had the government taken concrete measures. Blame US politics all we want but at least they came up with policies that helped people and small businesses. Instead all we got was PM cares money blackhole where the donations got siphoned into buying MLA’s and an economic relief package that was completely useless. 
Other countries also used the lockdown to significantly ramp up medical facilities whereas we hardly did that. 
Our testing capacity and rates were very low in the beginning and for a long time as well. Its only recently that testing has ramped up but it still lags if per capita testing is considered. 

Other countries had implemented strict lockdowns too but they succeeded in flattening the curve. It’s not due to over reaction or lockdown that we find ourselves in this pickle, its government incompetence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Melbourne going into Stage 4 lockdown from 6pm tonight (about 3 hours from now). 8pm to 5am curfew. 

Was bound to happen. Just went out to buy some food a couple of hours ago and parents are doing some final shopping. 

• Like 1

New research from the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health shows how coronavirus spreads throughout the community, with nightclubs, bars and restaurants the main infection points. 

The figures, provided to the Swiss public broadcaster, show that 42 percent of new infections in Switzerland over the past two weeks came from nightclubs. 

A further 27 percent came from bars and restaurants - meaning that 69 percent of all new infections over the past fortnight have come in either nightlife venues or gastronomy.

Just over 12 percent came from a family member, while 8 percent of infections came from medical personnel. 

The news comes amid admissions from Swiss officials that nightclubs were opened too early.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Indian Home Minister is COVID positive.

However,

8-3faQOxamO4gCw9N0_kBvSu54jiSh0kEUIRx-sy

Is the Indian Home Minister that terrible?

Posted (edited)

Time to send Lassie to the "farm upstate"?

Coronavirus outbreaks at mink farms in Spain and the Netherlands have scientists digging into how the animals got infected and if they can spread it to people. In the meantime, authorities have killed more than 1 million minks at breeding farms in both countries as a precaution.

The outbreaks among the minks on farms in the Netherlands and Spain likely started with infected workers, although officials aren’t certain. But it also is “plausible” that some workers later caught the virus back from the minks, the Dutch government and a researcher said, and scientists are exploring whether that was the case and how much of a threat such a spread might be.

(...)

Richard Ostfeld, a researcher at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook, New York, said that if confirmed, these would be the first known instances of animal-to-human transmission.

“With the evidence for farmed mink-to-human transmission, we definitely need to be concerned with the potential for domesticated animals that are infected to pass on their infection to us,” Ostfeld said by email.

But since it would be the first confirmed case, maybe our dear pets can live... a little bit longer.

Edited by MrGlass2

As for australian measures: I don't understand that system of locking people up at home. We were always allowed to go out in Germany and we still got numbers down. 

Governments do it again and again. Locking down everything at once and then opening up everything again. They completely skip the lessons to learn about what each meassure actually does within the pandemic.

But it's getting clearer and clearer, that gatherings in closed rooms are the main issue here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

He was before becoming Home Minister, accused and found guilty of communal riots, fake encounters and shit, even gone to prison. FFS the guy look like villain in Indian films.
The 'Shah' of BJP's game plan who wants to alter India's political ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sanderson said:

A couple of pages ago you say that Sweden has achieved herd immunity.  No source.

Now you say that 1 billion people are "probably" infected.  No source.  This would be a 100 fold increase in reported cases worldwide.

Am I missing something?  I thought misinformation was discouraged here.

Edit: That should be about 50 times more.  2 orders of magnitude compared to currently reported cases.

1)  I don't think Sweden achieved herd immunity

2) It's super easy for them to wear masks and be socially distant culturally

3) Universal healthcare and in general they are much healthier than Americans

4) Sweden's success in keeping numbers relatively low given lack of restriction is not possible in the US

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Imagine a Trump but with more political acumen like Mitch Mcconell, more bigoted like David Duke. And now imagine this Trump with even larger support base who are far more rabid, with almost all of media as your lapdog, with complete control over police and other federal body which you use against your opponents, with even the judiciary in your pocket. This Amit Shah guy is much worse than even this. 

He is religious fascist who took part in and orchestrated communal riots which resulted in 1000's of dead people, have had part in fake encounters and multiple scams. He had a major hand in formulating discriminatory policies like CAA and scrapping Article 370 in Kashmir which have led to months long protests all over the country (which only stopped due to the Coronavirus) as well as many dead people including communal riots in the national capital (where he had control of the police and allowed the police to ignore atrocities against the minority with the police going so far as taking part in the atrocities themselves). He is also trying to implement other policies like NPR (national population registry), which will potentially strip untold number of people of their citizenship and send them to internment (read concentration) camps. At best it will cause headaches to millions of people and strip hundreds of thousands of their rights and make them second class citizens in their own country. This NPR combined with the CAA act effectively means that only muslims will be targetted and sent to camps. In effect India is trying to become more like China. 

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

. In effect India is trying to become more like China. 

I would happily take it if that was same economically.

We are much worse than China.

Anyhow people in West can't even imagine sort of shit leaders we have. 

I will take Trump over a gadha like Modi, Yogi.

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I would happily take it if that was same economically.

We are much worse than China.

Anyhow people in West can't even imagine sort of shit leaders we have. 

I will take Trump over a gadha like Modi, Yogi.

lol me too, people in the west dont realize how shitty our system and our situation is simply because we have a democracy. But in regards to your last line, its not necessarily that Trump is better than Modi, its that our system itself is bad. If Trump was in India he would be just as bad as Shah and Modi because our system would allow him to be whereas in US he is restricted in a lot of what he can do. Similarly if Modi was in US he wouldn't be as terrible as he is in India simply because he wouldnt be able to get away with a lot of stuff that he could do in India. 

Anyway's we are getting a bit off topic here with Indian politics, if we want to discuss this further lets take it to the India thread and keep this one for Coronavirus. 

• Like 4

Iranian death toll is around 3 times the official figures according to BBC.

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Next time, Pokemon GO to jail.

Talk about taking the piss, what a fucking muppet. Should've fined him more.

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

Iranian death toll is around 3 times the official figures according to BBC.

I could pretend that im shocked, but im not.