google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

In the US it looks like cases have started to decline, for the first time in five weeks.

(The small decline in tests is probably caused by Florida, and doesn't change the trend)

• Like 1

Cases are declining in the US, but that is largely due to 2 states - AZ and TX. Who are both having sustained declines from their highs.

They are plenty of other states where cases are increasing and in FL it is really hard to tell what is going on. Before the testing was shut down both their cases and their testing were declining and their positivity rate was actually increasing slightly, so any declines in that state might be due to less testing.

testing is going to be impacted in FL and likely SC, NC and VA for at least a couple of days so it wouldn't shock me if numbers increase a little in a week.

Overall it is a better picture than 2 weeks ago, but hardly one to shout about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Austria, quarantine was reduced from 14 to 10 days (since for contact persons it starts from the day you had contact with someone infected, that's more like 7 days actually). Austria is following advice from the German Robert Koch Institute with this reduction.

Trump is using "It will just go away " line again concderning the virus.

Trump has failed miserably to fulfil the first duty of the Potus :safeguard the safwty of the Amereican people. And he is the first POTUS to just give up on it. Unfreakingly beleivable. I am now convinced there will be NO US left if Trump is reelected.

2 families dropped out of our kindergarten pod. I definitely hate covid 19 and shitty uncommitted parents. That's unfair and harsh but it screws us royally as we have like 20 days to figure this out.

• Sad 2

testing issues are creating an undercount of cases in US. East Coast states are likely having fewer tests due to the Hurricane and California has some sort of technical issue that is causing it to underreport positive cases.

According to power outage US we still have over 2 million people without power in the mid-Atlantic and NE states. 

It looks like if we had as much testing as last week there is a good change we would be looking at 65K+ cases. 

It seems likely that the US has levelled off for now. Whether it is decreasing and at what rate is still to be seen.

Just now, RamblinRed said:

testing issues are creating an undercount of cases in US. East Coast states are likely having fewer tests due to the Hurricane and California has some sort of technical issue that is causing it to underreport positive cases.

According to power outage US we still have over 2 million people without power in the mid-Atlantic and NE states. 

It looks like if we had as much testing as last week there is a good change we would be looking at 65K+ cases. 

It seems likely that the US has levelled off for now. Whether it is decreasing and at what rate is still to be seen.

Today was another 1 death per minute day.

interesting articles on whether the general obesity of Americans will render any vaccines less effective in the US.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/health/obesity-covid-vaccine-effectiveness-wellness/index.html

https://www.ajc.com/life/obesity-might-affect-how-well-a-coronavirus-vaccine-works/6NJFCAEXVBBE7IAZ7ECTCIPBOM/

FWIW, my local county went back to school this week with 77% of students returning to classes (my only school age child is a 17 yr old Asperger's kid who has been homeschooled since 3rd grade). So far in the first 3 days there have been 4 positive cases so far.

a kindergarten class (the teacher started showing symptoms after the school day), a 1st grade class (student started showing symptoms during the day), 2nd grade class (student started showing symptoms after class), 8th grade class (student started showing symptoms during the day).

All 4 classes have now been quarantined with the students and teachers required to be out for 14 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Case Study from Ohio on how 1 man at a church service was ultimately responsible for 91 cases of COVID

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Case Study from Ohio on how 1 man at a church service was ultimately responsible for 91 cases of COVID

Note the 6-year-old girl infecting her siblings. School reopening is going to suck...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Only two-thirds of Americans say they would accept a coronavirus vaccine, survey shows

https://bostonglobe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=90f9e490a860897c7155feca1&id=f489e7ec7f&e=7f679c0027

FUCK, I didn't think this would be politicized too.

well, two thirds would be enough (according to current knowledge) to keep the thing from an uncontrollable spread, so that's actually good news.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

Only two-thirds of Americans say they would accept a coronavirus vaccine, survey shows

https://bostonglobe.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=90f9e490a860897c7155feca1&id=f489e7ec7f&e=7f679c0027

FUCK, I didn't think this would be politicized too.

I despise the Anti Vax movement, but admit I am concerned about a vaccine being rushed  into  production without througly testing due to political pressue.

Skepticism about vaccines in genearl is stupid, skepticism about a vaccine that looks like it being rushed into production for political reaons is justffied.