google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 hour ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Hard to understand why they greenlighted it that quickly ... either it's a showoff (which can backfire, badly) or they see a real problem coming their way. Which isn't really supported by their numbers, which, while not really under control, show a falling trend.

Not even the WHO trusts Russias numbers. Ive read several reports over the last months that indicated that Russia is severly underreporting deaths, so it wouldnt surprise me that Putin wants the vaccine out as fast as possible.

But like you said - an unsafe vaccine could in the end be as damaging as the virus itself.

I think you are just a bit too harsh. All western vaccines are first of all for making money and profit with huge competition between many different parties.  And that makes things much more complicated, 

Russian or Chinese vaccines are funded by the government and for giving people. Not selling it at least at home, If vaccine fails it would be the goverment fail and a really big fail. If some western vaccine fail not a big deal, no one will be blamed too much,

• Thanks 1

On the Russia vaccine.

First off keep in mind they haven't even done phase 3 trials on it - so they literally have no idea whether it is really going to work on a large scale without complications. The only reason they can say they are first is they skipped phase 3 trials.

They also haven't released any public data on it so no scientists can do any verification on what is in it and whether it will do anything positive.

There have been recent articles suggesting that the Russian government is suppressing cases and deaths to make Putin look better. 

• Like 2

Not Putin a Russian vaccine in me.

Best comment on twitter....

It will be interesting to reverse engineer the Russian produced vaccine and see who it is that has to upgrade their cyber-security.

Edited by AndyK
  • Haha 2

I wonder if I can put established private kindergarten pod on my resume lol. 

We literally bought the teacher's desk all the desks for the children, cubby holes, art supplies and we have configured a space to be a fully functional kindergarten. It's crazy

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2

FWIW, I live in Cherokee Co which is one of the early counties to go back to school here in GA. It had 77% of parents choose sending their kids to school and 23% go online.

As on Monday there were 826 students in quarantine (along with 51 teachers and staff) due to positive tests. Supposedly as of today it is up to at leas 925 students in quarantine across the county (42,000 students in the county). It was announced this afternoon that Etowah HS, which currently has the largest outbreak, will go fully online starting Thursday (after taking tomorrow off) as cases there continue to ramp up. They had 14 more positive tests at Etowah today and have at least 15 more outstanding. As many of us on here have said, if you have significant community spread it is going to end up in your schools.

https://www.ajc.com/education/cherokee-closing-etowah-high-until-aug-31-after-rise-in-covid-19-cases/AKVISQE7NBFA3A3KH46SX6FXFE/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

I think you are just a bit too harsh. All western vaccines are first of all for making money and profit with huge competition between many different parties.  And that makes things much more complicated, 

Russian or Chinese vaccines are funded by the government and for giving people. Not selling it at least at home, If vaccine fails it would be the goverment fail and a really big fail. If some western vaccine fail not a big deal, no one will be blamed too much,

And I think you are way to soft on dictorial regimes like Russia and China, Russia in Particular. THis is just a huge gimmick by Putin to try to improve his shaky image. He dsoes not give a damn about the Russian people, only about staying in power.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

On the Russia vaccine.

First off keep in mind they haven't even done phase 3 trials on it - so they literally have no idea whether it is really going to work on a large scale without complications. The only reason they can say they are first is they skipped phase 3 trials.

They also haven't released any public data on it so no scientists can do any verification on what is in it and whether it will do anything positive.

There have been recent articles suggesting that the Russian government is suppressing cases and deaths to make Putin look better. 

Which is why most contries are not taking the Putin announcment seriolay.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

He dsoes not give a damn about the Russian people, only about staying in power.

Has is staying on power is 100% on the Russian people loving him, indirectly even if we think he is pure evil and pure opportunist/cynical he would give a lot of damn to what the Russian people think of him, that tend to be quite often similar incentive wise than actually caring about them.

9 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

That sound a bit strange to me, western vaccine will also be funded by government specially the winner one will be bought and distributed by the government for free in almost all western country.

In that case the companies involved and the government approving, buying and distributing them will all be extremely blamed. A lot of them will be blamed even if it is a good one in the current climate.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Has is staying on power is 100% on the Russian people loving him, indirectly even if we think he is pure evil and pure opportunist/cynical he would give a lot of damn to what the Russian people think of him, that tend to be quite often similar incentive wise than actually caring about them.

Not loving Putin will get you thrown out of a window, pushed in front of a bus, polonium in your tea or a needle in your neck.

Prior to 2016, republicans hated Russians and Democrats were naive as hell thanks to Obama. However, they never wanted to be BFFs like the GOP do now. Frickin sad.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Not loving Putin will get you thrown out of a window, pushed in front of a bus, polonium in your tea or a needle in your neck.

High profile maybe (sometime), regular folks not making a big deal of not loving Putin not so much.

Putin need to keep a strong support (like most if not all the modern dictator out there), there is multiple strategy to hold to power

1) Show is population how much of a mess and complication democracy bring (USA is doing a good job to that)

2) Be beloved by a minimum mass, that involve handling crisis well, doing the Olympics well and so on (deliving vaccin)

Putin is massively beloved by Russian and that is absolutely necessary to keep that level of power.

For China power, destroying poverty in what was maybe the fastest in history was a really good way to do so.

I'm not gonna defend America. To me at this point thanks to the GOP it's permanently ruined. Destined to become irrelevant and mediocre even more so.

Russia however is a epic dumpster fire pathetic joke of the past glory. China is complicated as hell. I may not love America but it's fucking paradise compared to those 2.

Check out working and living conditions and compare. America is a damn utopia in comparison. 

38 minutes ago, Barnack said:

High profile maybe (sometime), regular folks not making a big deal of not loving Putin not so much.

Putin need to keep a strong support (like most if not all the modern dictator out there), there is multiple strategy to hold to power

1) Show is population how much of a mess and complication democracy bring (USA is doing a good job to that)

2) Be beloved by a minimum mass, that involve handling crisis well, doing the Olympics well and so on (deliving vaccin)

Putin is massively beloved by Russian and that is absolutely necessary to keep that level of power.

For China power, destroying poverty in what was maybe the fastest in history was a really good way to do so.

China hasn't actually destroyed poverty, just made people slightly less destitute than they used to be. Their own Premier just a couple of months ago stated that 600m people make less 1000RMB a month. That's over 40% of the population on less than $150/mo. Once you leave the major cities the poverty level is far beyond what Westerners can even imagine. 

1 minute ago, Lion Roar said:

China hasn't actually destroyed poverty, just made people slightly less destitute than they used to be.

That what I meant by destroying poverty (extreme poverty would be more accurate I guess, but poverty as well), this:

1280px-The_number_of_people_below_differ

Is a lot (mostly ?) from China.

Putin is not massively beloved. He's been able to hold on to power by building up a cult of personality, surrounding himself with flunkies who make it look like the machine is running smoothly and, yes, maintaining popularity among the populace by pushing "stability" (it can't be overstated how much that word still means to those who were alive to see the hellish economic turmoil of the '90s) and socially conservative policies and occasional shows of power (like Crimea) that distract people from the real problems. But it's not like those problems are going anywhere. Tons of people continue to live below the poverty line, corruption is rampant (and consistently exposed by the opposition and independent media), protests against the abuse of power are more and more frequent, and Putin's failure to be a unifying/inspiring figure in the times of corona caused his approval rating to go below 60%, which is where it hovers now. He and his government have been on shaky ground for a while now.

• Like 6

Just as an FYI, we have our second HS here closing due to a COVID outbreak. This one happens to be the one that serves our neighborhood. 

It was stupid for our county to open both early and also primarily in person, but at least we homeschool our son so hopefully we will continue to be ok.

Schools have been opened for 8 days and already 2 HS in the county are shutting to the end of the month. 

• Like 4